Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001: A Space Odyssey meets Memento.

Liked it, but it seems to have attracted a bit of the wrong audience at least at the screening I attended tonight.

Not a date movie. Not a group movie. Definitely moody and moves at a extremely leisurely pace.

The more depressed and introverted you are while you watch it, the better the movie seems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I liked it. I saw the old Solaris last ngiht with hubby and this new version is way better, and not only because of Mr. Clooney :crazy:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although my final judgement of the movie is still positive (DVD purchase forthcoming), the wrong audience took a little away from my enjoyment of the movie. For some reason a lot of people seemed to have been expecting "Alien Resurrection", if not "Episode II" :roll:.

Oh well... that's the state of cinema these days. :-?

I really dug the planet design. And miracle of all miracles, everyone acted! :eek:

·
Registered
827 Posts
MMwakeboard said:
I would argee with you, from the trailers it seemed alot of people where expecting a sci-fi thriller. This was more introspective ala Gattaca.
Sci-fi thriller? I thought it would have been a chick-flick. I'm kind of interested in seeing it after reading all your reviews though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JCE10 said:
Sci-fi thriller? I thought it would have been a chick-flick. I'm kind of interested in seeing it after reading all your reviews though.
Well, not a thriller, but a *little* related to a chick-flick in that there are many poignant scenes to invoke audience empathy about the main character's relationship with his wife. But it's really a psychological drama + metaphysical discussion set in a sci-fi backdrop. Like I said, kinda like 2001 + Memento. Pacing is kinda like Kubrick's films.

I recommend reading this review:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/cst-ftr-solar27f.html

It has a few spoliers, but this movie isn't about surprises.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
I still haven't decided if I liked it or not. The problem is the trailers are incredibly misleading. It's not really an all out sci-fi love story, and it most certainly is not a concretely explained movie. They don't spell everything out for you and is one of those movies that can spark discussion/argument over what the hell it is about and what everything meant, etc.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
bump^

I just rented this DVD. Anyone see this movie? I can not decide if I liked it or not. There is a line I keep thinking about though.

"There are no answers, only choices."

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
darthvader said:
bump^

I just rented this DVD. Anyone see this movie? I can not decide if I liked it or not. There is a line I keep thinking about though.

Stop thinking, you're gonna fry your brain.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
PMD911 said:
darthvader said:
bump^

Stop thinking, you're gonna fry your brain.
You are assuming it is not already fried. We have been very slow for the last two weeks. All the 03's are gone and we are waiting for the 04's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
19 Participants
Wino_II
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing