Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in the Trend section of Sept motortrend, there is a short article on the next gen Camry and IS...the paragraph on the IS is below (yes I typed it in):

...Meanwhile, Toyota is already tested V-8-powered versions of the yet-to-be-launched Lexus IS. The IS concept was shown with a V-8 and a shift-by-wire six-speed sequential-shift auto. The radical hood vents on this car caught testing at the Nurburgring are the clearest indication yet that a big-bore IS is being prepared to take on BMW's forthcoming M3 and the next-generation C-class AMG.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Keep in mind though... the future of transmissions is a TRUE sequential transmission. And by that I mean a tranny that allows the DRIVER to select the gear... but uses a computer to optimize gear shifts. Think about it... the only automotive sport that still uses traditional H-gate shifter is ancient Nascar.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So Rod Millen wasn't THAT crazy

when he transplanted an LS 430 (or was it an LS 400) engine into the current IS300 body...

If Lexus comes out with a V-8 IS line, things are going to get interesting to say the least for BMW & MB.

-Mike

·
Registered
301 Posts
Crester said:
Keep in mind though... the future of transmissions is a TRUE sequential transmission. And by that I mean a tranny that allows the DRIVER to select the gear... but uses a computer to optimize gear shifts. Think about it... the only automotive sport that still uses traditional H-gate shifter is ancient Nascar.
is that what they use in F-1 cars?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Mike - it was a GS 430 engine but same thing in the end.

·
Registered
602 Posts
keyguy said:
They use paddles/buttons in F-1 cars.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
keyguy said:
Yup... F1 cars have a computer controlled transmission. They switch via paddles on the back of the steering wheel.

Here's a picture of the back of what I think is the Ferrari F1 car steering wheel. The two paddles at the bottom control the clutch. The two paddles... or I guess that rocker bar more accurately at the top of the wheel control the gear shifts.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Here's some more pictures...

Reactions: ISfrmHoldn

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
keyguy said:
If Lexus wants to race BMW, F-1 is next
Well... Toyota is currently beating Williams-BMW in F1. But BMW is just supplying engines for Williams. Next year BMW will have their own factory team. So it'll be the Toyota works team vs. the BMW works team. That'll be a nice battle to see! :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
yes it will be a good battle to see but deep down in side we are all hoping that the lexus team will own the bmw team...lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Crester said:
Yup... F1 cars have a computer controlled transmission. They switch via paddles on the back of the steering wheel.
They are completely different systems. The Lexus is a traditional Automatic with Torque converter (AutoMaunual). The Paddles allow you to shift the gears in the transmission. The F1 system is a Manual (ManuMatic) without a torque converter and utilizes a computer to control the Clutch. The Lexus is still an Automatic at heart (no different than BMW’s TipTronic). There are cars that use a system similar to the F1 cars. The BMW M3 SMG, and Ferrari/maserati use that type of system. Even Toyota had a system like that available on the MR2. Don’t confuse the two

The Lexus system is great but it suffers from the same power sapping, slow Torque converter shifts that normal Automatics suffer from. The other systems don’t have a torque converter and is able to shift significantly faster than the lexus system. The Downside to the F1 type system is smoothness. You have to adjust your driving style to make the shifts seem as smooth as the lexus system.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not to be a wiseass, but....everyone is complaining about the IS350's price yet everyone seems to want a V-8 powered IS. I just dont get it. Its like all those that complained about the Supra be discontinued, yet nobody wanted to buy one lol.

And when I say everyone, i dont mean all the people on here...so dont get too excited

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Spoonie G said:
They are completely different systems. The Lexus is a traditional Automatic with Torque converter (AutoMaunual). The Paddles allow you to shift the gears in the transmission. The F1 system is a Manual (ManuMatic) without a torque converter and utilizes a computer to control the Clutch. The Lexus is still an Automatic at heart (no different than BMW’s TipTronic). There are cars that use a system similar to the F1 cars. The BMW M3 SMG, and Ferrari/maserati use that type of system. Even Toyota had a system like that available on the MR2. Don’t confuse the two

The Lexus system is great but it suffers from the same power sapping, slow Torque converter shifts that normal Automatics suffer from. The other systems don’t have a torque converter and is able to shift significantly faster than the lexus system. The Downside to the F1 type system is smoothness. You have to adjust your driving style to make the shifts seem as smooth as the lexus system.
SpoonieG... please be careful when giving out negative rep. I do not appreciate your latest negative rep.

I DID NOT say F1 uses the same transmission as the IS300. I said F1 uses a computer optimized sequential transmission.

Please understand a post before giving me negative rep. :pissed:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts