Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Trend is a good magazine, but it always has typos many mistakes. Ive only skimmed through my brand new issue and I found a miss type just flippin pages. It said the BMW 328 0 - 60 was 6.9. I know thats not true ive heard 7.5 but not 6.9! If you dont believe me check the January 2001 issue. The typo error is on page 120. The Moro Trend magazine a couple months ago that tested a BMW M3 said price $43,00 - $130,000. Thats just 2 errors in 2 magazines ive looked at. i will continue too read the January 2001 issue and look for more errors so I can post it on this site. Another thing those guys must of been drunk when they picked the car of the year. The car of the year is a PT Cruiser and they picked that over Volvo, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Audi, Acura and more. That is the dumbist thing ive every heard the PT Cruiser car of the year what a joke! They said 150 horsepower is fun to drive and good lookin. SO what if its cheaper if its not as good as any of the other cars it shouldnt be the car of the year. As soon as I saw that the Pt won man I almost cryed. I would rather have a Civic than a PT.

Nitro Boy
Age 11
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Actually - for the last several years, the MT car of the year has been open to both import and domestic. The really amazing point is that this is the second year in a row that a domestic manufacturer has won. The Lincoln LS took it last year. It will take someone with a better memory than mine to remember the year before.

Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Nitro Boy

Can You edit your profile, and make your location shorter, maybe abreviate Ca, US.
You are scrutching up the page into a narrower column of text due to you lacation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
I was bummed out about the win the PT Cruiser achieved... I hate that car. But hey, at least the IS300 was nominated.

Scott.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by Nitro Boy:
Motor Trend is a good magazine, but it always has typos many mistakes. Ive only skimmed through my brand new issue and I found a miss type just flippin pages. It said the BMW 328 0 - 60 was 6.9. I know thats not true ive heard 7.5 but not 6.9! If you dont believe me check the January 2001 issue. The typo error is on page 120. The Moro Trend magazine a couple months ago that tested a BMW M3 said price $43,00 - $130,000. Thats just 2 errors in 2 magazines ive looked at. i will continue too read the January 2001 issue and look for more errors so I can post it on this site. Another thing those guys must of been drunk when they picked the car of the year. The car of the year is a PT Cruiser and they picked that over Volvo, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Audi, Acura and more. That is the dumbist thing ive every heard the PT Cruiser car of the year what a joke! They said 150 horsepower is fun to drive and good lookin. SO what if its cheaper if its not as good as any of the other cars it shouldnt be the car of the year. As soon as I saw that the Pt won man I almost cryed. I would rather have a Civic than a PT.

Nitro Boy
Age 11
So since you are complaining about typos...did you bother to make sure you didn't have any in your post? Or did you not realize you have a lot of errors too? And that is just one post. Yeah, yeah, yeah I'm being a d!ck, but I'm grumpy right now because finals are coming up...FOCK!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
I'm not a big fan of MotorTrend, but when I saw the show on TV, i thought they justified it well - the PT is the new car that is most innovative, and will have the most impact on the buyers and the industry. Sure, anyone can build a great car for $80,000, but Daimler/Chrysler built a practical, stylish, fun to drive car, for $16,000, that anyone can afford. I hate the way C&D chooses all $50,000+ cars for their 10 best, what's the point if so few people can afford to buy them? It's like saying the best convertible is the BMW Z8, or best sports coupe is the Ferrari 360. Part of making a great car is making it affordable for more than 3 people in the country. I think MT got it just right, unless you can tell me another car that's as practical, stylish, fun to drive and affordable, can you name one? And don't tell me the PT is ugly, cause that's subjective, and a lot more people love it than hate it.
The Lincoln LS was the first American car that drives like the German sports sedans, and deserved notice for that. But I don't think that car deserved Car of the Year - and it showed MT's bias. The PT I agree with though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
If my memory serves me right, which is rare at the ripe old age of 21
, the 1999 COTY was the 300M?

Justy
99 328i

Originally posted by TSoich:
Actually - for the last several years, the MT car of the year has been open to both import and domestic. The really amazing point is that this is the second year in a row that a domestic manufacturer has won. The Lincoln LS took it last year. It will take someone with a better memory than mine to remember the year before.

Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
wasn't it MT that also had the NEON car of the year way back in 95 or 96.

That alone caused be to stop subscribing to them cos' that car is CRAP!!!

Only good thing about MT is performance trends section where they actually have something I can agree on.
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
Guys, MT has two awards for COTY. COTY and Import COTY...


------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Not anymore Tony. They have combined the contests the last two years and created a single CAR of the Year award.

Justy
99 328i

Originally posted by webmaster:
Guys, MT has two awards for COTY. COTY and Import COTY...




[This message has been edited by ISsoon (edited December 07, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I think he's referring to auto times and you're referring to manual times. This is where he probably got his info.
Originally posted by BMeRBoY:
C&D got 6.4 and Edmunds got 6.3 for the 328. I don't know where you got 7.5, you must be thinking about the IS.


------------------
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by ISsoon:
Not anymore Tony. They have combined the contests the last two years and created a single CAR of the Year award.
Really? I did not know.
Makes sense anyway, it's hard to know what's an import and what's not anymore.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
I saw the Motor Trend show and there was a SBM IS300 going around, also the Volvo S60, C class etc. I agree with other posters that the Dodge Neon and Chrysler 300M both blow chunks. After all the hype from car mags like MT about the 300M, I went and test drove one, and man is that thing just mediocre. Crappy interior, boat handling, not that quick, and not cheap. What's the point? When I drove that car (and the Neon), I was like "Is this the same car the mags raved about???"
The Lincoln LS was much better by the way, that car is a couple of improvements away from being great (fix the Lincoln rear end to match the BMW front end, improve the seats and interior, and offer a 5 speed V8, and you'd have a great car).

[This message has been edited by ckolsen (edited December 07, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi its Nitro Boy Im only 11 years old I dont have a IS my father does and its a black on black IS 300. He wants a Turbo with a intercooler, lowering springs big 18 in. wheels, spoiler, and skirts


Peace
Nitro Boy
Age 11
Black Is 300
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
From looking at the depth of MotorTrend articles over the last few years...i can say they seem waaaay toooo superficial. MT reads like they wrote the articles from reading other mags. I came to the conclusion that MT must extremeley financially supported by the Big Three (aka ford, gm, chrysler) b/k the whole freakin mag seems like one big advertisement. You'll never read anything REALLY bad (about a domestic product anyway). You'll also notice that the big three heavily market the fact that "such and such" car won MotorTrend car of the Year. Listen to the tube....MotorTrend car of the year. MotorTrend car of the year. OVer and over and over. Kinda like giving yourself an award and braggin' about it. Dah! It's disgusting...
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top