Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the easiest complete motor swap possible to our IS300s giving decent power upgrade? Give donor year(s) make(s), model and why! I'll leave it up for a week for people to ponder. I've known the answer for over a year and just wanted to see how many people (if any) catch on ... so far not many!

Reactions: IS_Dude

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
LS1? or wait maybe sr20?

All kidding aside, I dont know of any "easy swaps" all seem to require alot of thought, time, and money.

I will venture to say it is one of these

Beams 4cyl
2jzgte vvti or regular 2jzgte
Lexus v8
1jzgte

·
Registered
989 Posts
slap a turbo on our great engine and be happy. for more power, change some internals and be smiling across the race strip. :)

but if you just bored and want to put a new engine, i would say the 1JZ. 1jz works for alot of cars.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
How bout just a head swap? A 1jz head which makes the motor into a 1.5jz. Higher reving (8000rpm) and retaining out high compression.

Reactions: the wrong tone

·
Registered
23 Posts
goldaltezza808 said:
How bout just a head swap? A 1jz head which makes the motor into a 1.5jz. Higher reving (8000rpm) and retaining out high compression.
Can the stock bottom end (of a 2jz) rev that high reliably? I know it can take a beating from torque, but I'd be scared of it being out of balance at that kind of piston speed - this is no honda. :suspiciou

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
98mkiv said:
the stock bottom end can handle it yes, your stock head can also, just upgrade the springs on the valves.

and then find somethign to make power to 8000 rpm

and wahtch out for throwing a rod - i am still not so sure a ge bottom end can handle 8000rpm

·
$lores amongst us!
10,974 Posts
turbo97se said:
What is the easiest complete motor swap possible to our IS300s giving decent power upgrade? Give donor year(s) make(s), model and why! I'll leave it up for a week for people to ponder. I've known the answer for over a year and just wanted to see how many people (if any) catch on ... so far not many!
Kinda hard to answer you question without really knowing what kind of power you intend to make? Decent power really does nor mean anything.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
as to try and answer the question i will say a 1jz-gte

jsut seems liek it fits better than the 2jzgte as for years and models blah blah i have no idea

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
1UZ baby! come on the 98 LS400 motor? i mean it may not be a 2JZ but heck it'd be a v-8!

Seriously I'd love to see a LS1 or even a LS7 swapped in or whatever is supposed to power the new z06 vette. 500 hp NA v-8 IS300? why thank you if this is ever possible.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
How bout a 3sgte from an mr2. Already has turbo and lets not forget weight distribution. I dunno about easiest though

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
goldaltezza808 said:
How bout a 3sgte from an mr2. Already has turbo and lets not forget weight distribution. I dunno about easiest though
i wanted to say the 3sgte also but i forgot which car it came out of.

my vote is also the 3sgte and from the mr2(thanks gold for the car make)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All right, fair point on the power goals comment. The swap would easily provide 350 or so to the wheels and have the potential of 700+ with turbo swap and appropriate fuel system. The swap is almost bolt in (surprisingly enough)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ok ill take another guess. Ls1

1 - 20 of 122 Posts