Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the nice news that the #2 piston has a hole in it. The additional injector did not come on and caused it to lean out. I was shown the dyno with the fuel maps/curves and the tuner did tune it properly. Apparently over time (4 weeks) that additional injector failed and the fuel map changed drasticly. He suggested using a fuel pump regulator which will raise pressure mechanically rather than rely on electronic means. Also using a Supra TT fuel pump to be safe. Tuner is taking 1/2 responsibility and found a 02 engine with 12k miles for $2500 and said we could sell my old one for maybe $1500. Said is cheaper and more effecient to swap motors than to attempt to repair old one. So I guess it could have been worse and no charge for labor and will have done by Christmas while I drive the owners 911 turbo :p I can only hope this alerts people to the chance you take with F/I, if you want to play I guess you must pay :cry: . Any thoughts appreciated.
Dean

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
sorry to hear that man...

i guess this is one reason i said before that i'd rather change the injectors rather than add an additional one...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

That sounds like some shop you've got there! They gave you solid advice, not charging for labor, and are letting you drive a 911 turbo!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Hey Dean, that's pretty crappy news man.. :cry:

Well, for the price of that 02' engine, you could easily get a GTE bottom end!! I've seen people get them for $1800 for just the bottom end, new. With the lower C.R. forged pistons, thicker rods, oil squirters and all that, you could run that instead of getting a spacer gasket. Plus you'll have a solid bottom end that can take much more power and abuse.

If your head and valve's are okay, you can just plop the head on the gte block. If it's not, new valve job shouldn't cost more than $500.

All the odds and ends you'll need for the block conversion, (Oil pan #1, oil level sender, etc..) SHOULD be able to be pulled off your current block, if not, the price is still worth it.

In the end you might spend closer to $3k, but you'll have that great piece of mind and will be ready for higher boost almost instantly! (minus the bigger injectors, pump, etc..)

Just a suggestion, think about it man!

Kane

AC556k said:
Just got the nice news that the #2 piston has a hole in it. The additional injector did not come on and caused it to lean out. I was shown the dyno with the fuel maps/curves and the tuner did tune it properly. Apparently over time (4 weeks) that additional injector failed and the fuel map changed drasticly. He suggested using a fuel pump regulator which will raise pressure mechanically rather than rely on electronic means. Also using a Supra TT fuel pump to be safe. Tuner is taking 1/2 responsibility and found a 02 engine with 12k miles for $2500 and said we could sell my old one for maybe $1500. Said is cheaper and more effecient to swap motors than to attempt to repair old one. So I guess it could have been worse and no charge for labor and will have done by Christmas while I drive the owners 911 turbo :p I can only hope this alerts people to the chance you take with F/I, if you want to play I guess you must pay :cry: . Any thoughts appreciated.
Dean

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
wonder why the additional injector didn't come on?

oh and how did they conclude this?

and is plp gonna cover this other half, since it may sound like their fault....

good luck man

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Dean...sorry to hear the bad news. Yes...I am finding out just how much F/I costs as well. I hear ya.

AC556k said:
Apparently over time (4 weeks) that additional injector failed and the fuel map changed drasticly.
What might have caused the injector to fail? Any thoughts or guesses on that? Also, how did your fuel maps change drasticly? I know the piggyback folks are having a hell of a time keeping the stock ECU from dicking around with what you tuned it to be set at. Is that what you are refering to?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Im confused did your tuner tune the extra injector controller or the emanage or both?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:whine: :whine: :whine:

That sucks.
Question - did you have any gauges in your car? did you notice the EGTs going up / did you drive with your cell on?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, no gauges in the car and no CEL on. The damage was done from driving it while misfiring. The actual "blowing" of the engine was done by the shop while doing a dyno run trying to figure what exactly was wrong. So technically they blew it, but it was only a matter of time before I did it anyways. The engine light on and trac blinking came on after the piston damage was done.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
AC556k said:
No, no gauges in the car and no CEL on. The damage was done from driving it while misfiring. The actual "blowing" of the engine was done by the shop while doing a dyno run trying to figure what exactly was wrong. So technically they blew it, but it was only a matter of time before I did it anyways. The engine light on and trac blinking came on after the piston damage was done.
All I have to say is that someone owes your for what happened. I am surprised you have to shell out a dime. If someone sells you a kit and it fails within a month, what does that say about their product. I just don't like reading about this kind of stuff.

On a side note, gauges are IMPORTANT. If you had and EGT on the car it would have been getting really hot if you were running that lean. Just an FYI for future F/I guys.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Yea, to be blunt, I would expect PLP to financially help out in a situation like this because of a defective product. If the injector failed, then that should be covered.

Also, Kanine's advice was good. I'd seriously look into getting the GTE bottom end if you're paying for a GE bottom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do not post much, but there has been a brand new unused GTE bottom end in the classifieds direct from Toyota for $1200. Maybe take a look.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Wxman said:
AC556k said:
All I have to say is that someone owes your for what happened. I am surprised you have to shell out a dime. If someone sells you a kit and it fails within a month, what does that say about their product. I just don't like reading about this kind of stuff.

On a side note, gauges are IMPORTANT. If you had and EGT on the car it would have been getting really hot if you were running that lean. Just an FYI for future F/I guys.
Yup...
You spent a LOT of money on the kit, install, "tuning," etc...
Good luck with it all, and hope things turn out ok.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news. I remember the feeling when Peter told me that my engine was spanked. Best of luck getting everything straightened out.

·
2,883 Posts
Wxman said:
AC556k said:
I agree 100%!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Did the shop tune the additional injector or no? If so, did they get the software from PLP or another source? It can not be tuned without the software, or did they have prior experience with it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
was it the ring landing?or is there a physical hole on the top of the piston. but you do have to know anytime you modify your car from stock trim your tanking a risk. most stock parts were ment to only due so much. you are very lucky that someone is helping out with the bill. awsome amn :D whos to say the injector quit from natual cause aka lexus problem :roll: you sur eits the 2nd piston not the first. it all the times ive seen 2jz go its been number 1 piston brakage and number 6 for headgasket brakage. good luck and sorry to hear for your loss.
skot

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
^^ because stock didn't come with 7 injectors :lol:

i would throw in a GTE bottom end as well...

and while you have the 911 turbo....rip it up :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts