Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought AndrewW's MOTON Clubsport dampers. These dampers are truly #1. They feature 2 way adjustable, remote reservoirs, gas-lifting, 1000lbs springs, quick disconnects. The entire set up is worth $6000 easily. This is the best suspension in the world!!!

You would think that 1000lbs springs would send a daily driver teeth-chattering down the 401...... but in fact, this set up is SO COMFORTABLE on the street, and immediately you can tell that the car is just so flat in every corner. These dampers are really magical. I can't wait to get them out on track, but here are some pics from the install.

MOTONS in their box:

Out of the box:

Pillow ball top mount close up:

Damper body, close up:

Canister, close up:

Hole we had to drill to let the quick disconnected canister line go through. Note that we didn't have to drill a hole the SIZE of the canister due to the quick-disconnects. This makes the holes a LOT smaller!:

The hole from inside the trunk. We used nice grommets to keep the lines from chafing:

Rear damper:

Finished set up in the rear:

Front damper:

Front canister right side mounted up:

Front canister left side mounted up

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Congrats on the install lexusecutive! You have any pictures that show the stance of the car now?

Any complications with the install?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
that is one serious suspension! congrats! like crester said..got pix?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
definetely looks good.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
so is this like an air suspension that let's you lower/raise the car while driving? looks great! what's the advantage over other kits?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try to get some pics of the car. It isn't really changed much in terms of ride height over my koni yellows/eibach prokits. You can adjust the ride height obviously because this is a coilover.

The advantage is in the technology. Its really hard to believe something until you try it first hand. I'm running 1000lbs springs in the front and 850lbs springs in the rear. Usually, this would give you teeth-chattering ride quality on most cars. I've been in Civic's and other Toyota's with spring rates this high and definitely cringed when I thought these would go on my car, which is used as a daily driver.

But the MOTONS control the ride so superbly, it's incredible. Words can't really describe how amazing this technology is because.....quite frankly, what I'm used to in this spring rate is a really REALLY rough ride!!! I've tossed the car into a few corners, and one thing is for certain: the car remains FLAT. I do have Hotchkis sways too, but this is just magical....the car is 100% flat through the corner. I can't wait to get this suspension out on track this year......where it was BORN to be.

MOTON is definite the best damper out there. And until these, I now know why all the top pro teams use MOTON dampers on their cars. The technology just completely defies what we're all used to in a damper. Forget Tein, Koni, Ohlins, Tokico's etc. They're all really amateur when stacked up against MOTON.

I highly recommend these to those of you who are very much into handling and take your lapping seriously.

I plan to couple these dampers with some TOYO RA-1 slicks this summer and tear up the track against all of my buddies and their boosted rides!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Wow....great stuff. You really have the cream of the crop suspension there hands down.

1000lb/in spring rates are incredibly high - it's almost 18kg/mm and 16kg/mm F/R for the rest of you metric weenies which is up there with the Tien RA's track setup. I woulda thought these would be incredibly stiff for street.

From the looks of it, these have a tender spring too. Wonder if your smooth ride is attributed to the tender spring before the main heavy springs come in.

Congrats!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Forget Tein, Koni, Ohlins, Tokico's etc. They're all really amateur when stacked up against MOTON.
Motons are great dampers, there's no disputing that. However, there are other companies that make great dampers too! Ohlins is amateur? I think not. They're the winningest damper in motorsports history.

As far as I'm concerned, Ohlins, Moton, and Penske are all at the top. Moton making an application specific for our cars does make it much more attractive to most people though.

Congrats on the dampers though! They're bad arse, especially with the quick disconnects. These go to show that much of the ride quality is in the damping, not the springrate. Hopefully you can get out to a track soon and tune them in a bit too. They just might get even better!

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Moton making an application specific for our cars does make it much more attractive to most people though.
I can't find the Lexus application on their website

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I'll try to get some pics of the car. It isn't really changed much in terms of ride height over my koni yellows/eibach prokits. You can adjust the ride height obviously because this is a coilover.
Since your car doesn't look different due to this mod... get some time slips next time you goto the track to show how much of an improvement this suspension setup gives you! :approve:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I can't find the Lexus application on their website
Likely it's been discontinued. Apparently according to many parts suppliers... and Lexus itself... the IS300 is "obselete"... :balling:

In a way it's true... but it's still sad to hear. :disagree:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
^^^they were a custom set made for andrew by moton...only set around I think!!! Hot brakes man

·
Registered
962 Posts
^^^they were a custom set made for andrew by moton...only set around I think!!! Hot brakes man
definitely was made for Andrew and the AAR team. not the only set around, as their race cars run the same setup i think.

so there's at least 3 sets.

i think AAR helped with the development in conjunction with moton.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the CLUBSPORT version. .......ie the "cheaper" version. But by no means do I feel that $6grand is "cheap". The clubsport is similar to the MOTON 2 way adjustable damper, except it has less settings (15 vs 7) for more precise tuning.

The AAR Touring cars use the MOTON Motorsport 3-way adjustable damper....... I don't even want to know how much THOSE cost!!!

AAR distributes MOTON for IS application. Currently however, this is the only set out there on North American roads!

Crester, I did a 1m20.8sec around Dunnville on BFG KDW's last year. This year I'll have slicks and VOLKS, but I'm going to do a few laps on the KDW's to see how much time I gained with JUST the MOTONs. This is timed w/ an AIM myChron Lite TG on-board lap-timer.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
hey lexusective, congrats on the motons. Great buy..If I had the funds I would've definately picked them up from Andrew.

Have fun with them

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jahn, thanks. Me & Andrew talked a bit about when you stopped by to pick up the 3" exhaust. I really wanna see your boosted set up. Do you track at all?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts