Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im picking up a 04 is300 in about a week and i would love to go FI with it but i would not afford ot buy the SRT kit and everything needed right away

i would liek ot lsowly piece togetehr a N/A lexus but just wondering if it is worth it?

how much power are people seeing with n/a and all the bolt ons liek cams, exhuast, intake ect..

i read that the stock is300 is puttign about 170 whp what boltsd one woudl be needed to reach some good numbers with n/a wihtout spending 7k all at once for turbo kit?

i had a evo that had about 345 whp so im used ot FI and some good numbers so im just seeing what n/a ones put down if its worth doing n/a or just wiating a good while and do FI

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
not a lot. Right now, there aren't even cams out for the IS (though Brian Crower claims 3 weeks, thats been going on for some time). As it is now, the best you're looking at is 210-215rwhp. If cams do come around, there may be some decent gains on top of that.

That figure is basically everything you can do. SRT intake, Mazzuri Super Header and Y system, throttle body, cam gear, SAFC or EMU tuning, catback exhaust.

http://my.is/forums/f88/im-new-want-more-power-my-is300-343378/

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Not worth it to put money for N/A power...you can make at most from what I have read is around 230-250hp with N/A applications. Your better bet is to save the money you have and either get coilovers to adjust the ride height or save for a turbo and call it a day...just not worth it in my IMO. I would know cause I have spent money on N/A applications and it just isn't enough power for me. Saving to go turbo soon someday. Just my $.02. G/L with the decision!

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
easy power is in a NOS kit. put some bolt ons and tune it then get NOS kit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah no nitrous either n/a or FI i have owned several cars with FI 04 sti 03 evo8 used ot own audi s4 now looking to go is300 but i was looking at the kits and thye r close to 6k just for kit then u need install then u need auto cooler and VB for auto so it handle the power you will ahve about 7k invested in car just seems alot to me

·
Registered
694 Posts
you could always get a stroker kit...but make sure you get enough lube cause blowing a cyc head at the wrong time is never good.

·
Registered
650 Posts
nah no nitrous either n/a or FI i have owned several cars with FI 04 sti 03 evo8 used ot own audi s4 now looking to go is300 but i was looking at the kits and thye r close to 6k just for kit then u need install then u need auto cooler and VB for auto so it handle the power you will ahve about 7k invested in car just seems alot to me
your probably gonna end up spending more than 7k. i went s/c and i've spent well over 7k.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you thought about less rotational mass...Lighter flywheel, lighter wheels even... Everyone's right though about netting between 210 & 225 hp with bolt ons. If you don't have the funds to go FI and have a fast car then try and make your car a bit more responsive to make it quicker. And it's especially fun if you've got a 5-speed:approve:

·
Monkey Style
1,885 Posts
The IS just isn't a very fast car in N/A form. By the time you're putting down 230+rwhp N/A, you could have at least purchased an SRT 2.75 kit.

I spent in the thousands on all my bolt-on parts + install and at the end of the day I'm still slower than a stock 4cyl Honda. Where's the gratification in that???

From my experience, I say if you're looking for more power on the IS, just save your money and boost it from the start. Expect to spend AT LEAST $10k for decent power. I just jumped on the boost bandwagon and I'm already in deep at $12k.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
you could always get a stroker kit...but make sure you get enough lube cause blowing a cyc head at the wrong time is never good.
lol, am I the only one that got this?! :lol:

Have you thought about less rotational mass...Lighter flywheel, lighter wheels even... Everyone's right though about netting between 210 & 225 hp with bolt ons. If you don't have the funds to go FI and have a fast car then try and make your car a bit more responsive to make it quicker. And it's especially fun if you've got a 5-speed:approve:
I agree, i think this would make for a very fun car to drive.

The IS just isn't a very fast car in N/A form. By the time you're putting down 230+rwhp N/A, you could have at least purchased an SRT 2.75 kit.
Wrong.....you wont be near that amount of money

I spent in the thousands on all my bolt-on parts + install and at the end of the day I'm still slower than a stock 4cyl Honda. Where's the gratification in that???
You must have been racing RSX TypeS's, Integra TypeR's, or S2000's....either that or your car has problems

·
Registered
694 Posts
lol, am I the only one that got this?! :lol:

I agree, i think this would make for a very fun car to drive.

Wrong.....you wont be near that amount of money

You must have been racing RSX TypeS's, Integra TypeR's, or S2000's....either that or your car has problems
apperently................

·
Monkey Style
1,885 Posts
Integra R, Prelude, and S2K, yes...I tried them all when I had simple bolt ons (I/H/E) which ran me $1k already. Did I hang in there? Yes, but VTAK kicked in and the 4cyl still edged on me.

I'm just saying: for the amount of money you put in to be faster N/A in our cars, you have to understand that you're not going to be a whole lot faster. Not unless you go all out N/A which most people won't!

If we're talking raw power (for the money), the best thing for the IS is F/I.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Very interesting thread, First of all why you going from EVO to IS300? not that the IS is not a good car but if speed is what you want, i mean sounds easier to work on that evo than start from super scratch with another car Especially a very expensive tuner car. I have already made up my mind to go with F/I but theres always a little part in the back of my mind that wants to buy N/A parts thinking it might help, but for now i am going to work on my suspension and than Save penny's for a turbo set up. FYI i know a few people that have boosted their IS300s and you don't have to spend over $10k+ in order to have it, remember there are other turbo set ups it, just depends how far you going to go with it.

+rep

·
Monkey Style
1,885 Posts
FYI i know a few people that have boosted their IS300s and you don't have to spend over $10k+ in order to have it, remember there are other turbo set ups it, just depends how far you going to go with it.

+rep
Very true Jesus. :p I did not mean you'll NEED $10k just to have boost and understand there are those who are boosted under $6k (especially if you DIY). But the fact remains, you'll need that much to get a good amount of power. Tranny upgrades, EMU, internals, suspension, wider wheels/tires, etc....they all add up! :jawDrop:

·
Registered
186 Posts
right now im actually buying n/a parts that i can use when i got turbo such as 3inch catback exhaust, cam gear, emu, clutch, suspension,brakes and flywheel...its a win win situation and as far as the intake and the mazzuri super headers and y i just bough as long as u buy used and get them at a discount u can always resell them when ur ready for boost!!! haha good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts