Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the function of the electronic device at the end of the plastic intake runner (right next to the air filter)?

Is that an airflow meter, or is it a valve that closes to cut off air when the autotrans is shifting?

Also along the tube between the air filter and the throttle body there is a funny shaped plastic box of some sort. Is that some sort of resonance chamber or moisture trap?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No... O2 sensor(s) go on the exhaust manifold or pipe.

Actually you can't see it from the pictures, but the exhaust system on the IS300 looks pretty cool (very BMW-like). There are two sets of 3 into 1 welded (looks like stainless steel) unequal length headers going into the two primary cats (look to be of very high quality) very close to the engine (so as to get quick warm up for LEV status), then another monster cat further down under the car.

Still, the car could benefit from snakey equal length headers... Too bad they didn't go that far with the design.

·
Registered
25 Posts
TEG-
The component you are referring to is called a Mass Airflow Sensor. It takes the place of an Airflow Meter or Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor. Some people refer to them as HotWires, because of their operation. A wire that is exposed to the incoming air flow stream is heated to an exact temperature. The engine ECU monitors the amount of current flow that must be passed through the wire to hold the constant temperature. More current = higher air flow = more fuel delivered. They are very reliable since they have no moving parts like the old Vane type meters. They also don't require any recalibration/adjustment for altitude changes. Air density, as well as air flow, will effect the cooling of the wire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
TEG-
By the way, I got my first two units. I've spent alot of time in the yellow one with the graphites. It's a blast to drive. We got our 18" tires and wheels from tirerack.com. I had a company in last friday fitting the car for a carbon fiber interior kit and a spoiler. They are using the spoiler design from the G4. One of my engineers is is Japan. He's picking up the clear lenses for the rear and the body colored covers for the taillights and headlights. We are still trying to source exhaust. No one seems to have the 3.0 litre muffler ready yet. Any leads?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by daverav4:
TEG-
By the way, I got my first two units. I've spent alot of time in the yellow one with the graphites. It's a blast to drive. We got our 18" tires and wheels from tirerack.com. I had a company in last friday fitting the car for a carbon fiber interior kit and a spoiler. They are using the spoiler design from the G4. One of my engineers is is Japan. He's picking up the clear lenses for the rear and the body colored covers for the taillights and headlights. We are still trying to source exhaust. No one seems to have the 3.0 litre muffler ready yet. Any leads?
are you getting those parts to sell or to put on the car as a demo? i would love to get my hands on those parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The parts that we are getting are for two units that we are going to place in the Toyota Motorsports Tent at some Central Area CART events. The two units I have now are for training the technicians. We haven't received the two race units yet, so I haven't installed any of the parts.
TEG-
After seeing the graphite gray one at the IS Tour, I changed my demo order. That is a great color. I believe you wanted the same.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's in primer now. And the final fitting still needs to be done. As soon as we get it painted and installed, I'll post it.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I am getting graphite gray.

I would be interested in hearing about body colored rear lenses! Can you tell me how to order them from Japan?

I think the only truely "illegal" color combination is Yellow with Ivory interior. Autoweek did test a prototype with that combo, but the production plans don't show any being built that way.

The early build sheets show the graphite cars all being built with black interiors, but you might be able to special order graphite with ivory.

=========================================

daverav4: My old Mr2 uses and AFM "Air Flow Meter" (which is basically just a little mechanical door that swings open with the airflow). Later 4AGZE engines used a MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor which seems to be the best way to do it. Those "hot wire" airflow sensors may be more reliable than an AFM, but I have heard that they have problems of their own. If you look at the Subaru newsgroups, people are having alot of failures on their "hot wire" airflow sensors if they install aftermarket air filters. I don't know if it is a vibration problem or what. Given a choice I think I would prefer a MAP sensor over a wire based metering sensor.

Do you know what that plasic box is further down the intake tract?

·
Registered
306 Posts
TEG,
I seem to recall that those build sheets were posted sometime ago. I looked for them and couldn't find them. Do they exist or am I becoming delusional from lurking this website?

[From TEG:
There is one may build sheet from the central region at this location ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited June 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
226 Posts
I saw the color chart at my lexus dealer, the ivory was not availible with yellow, but every other color, if i remember correct

1 - 14 of 14 Posts