Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after seeing the release of the new Camry Solara, I noticed its V6 engine is spec'd as follows:

3.3-liter DOHC 24-valve VVT-i V6
225 hp @ 5,600 rpm/240 lb.-ft. @ 3,600 rpm

It's previous spec:
3.0-liter V6
198 hp @ 5,300 rpm/212 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm

So, if we extrapolate,

We've got the current IS300 spec'd at:
3.0-liter, twin-cam, 24-valve in-line 6 engine.
215 hp @ 5,800 rpm, 218 lb-ft torque @ 3,800 rpm

What would the 2005 IS spec out at???

Just for kicks...

The current ES330 is:
3.3-liter, 24-valve, 60° V6 engine.
225 hp @ 5,600 rpm, torque 240 lb-ft @ 3,600 rpm
(I know, Camry Solara, duh!!!)

and the previous ES300 had:
3.0-liter V6
210 hp @ 5,800 rpm, 220 lb-ft torque @ 4,400 rpm

The current GS300 is:
220 hp @ 5,800, 220 lb-ft @ 3,800 torque

and the previous GS300 had:
3.0-liter in-line 6
225 hp @ 6,000, 220 lb-ft @ 4,000 torque

I know the Solara is FWD and we're supposedly getting an engine "optimized for RWD", but what do you all think? Come on, do the proportions! I'm assuming alot about Toyota's development plans at consistent levels. I chose the Solara b/c it is one of the most recent "performance-oriented" releases from Toyota. This is all just for fun of course.

·
Registered
642 Posts
blue_j said:
So, after seeing the release of the new Camry Solara, I noticed its V6 engine is spec'd as follows:

3.3-liter DOHC 24-valve VVT-i V6
225 hp @ 5,600 rpm/240 lb.-ft. @ 3,600 rpm

It's previous spec:
3.0-liter V6
198 hp @ 5,300 rpm/212 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm

So, if we extrapolate,

We've got the current IS300 spec'd at:
215 hp @ 5,800 rpm, 218 lb-ft torque @ 3,800 rpm

What would the 2005 IS spec out at???

Just for kicks...

The current ES300 is:
3.3-liter, 24-valve, 60° V6 engine.
225 hp @ 5,600 rpm, torque 240 lb-ft @ 3,600 rpm
(I know, Camry Solara, duh!!!)

and the previous ES300 had:
3.0-liter V6
210 hp @ 5,800 rpm, 220 lb-ft torque @ 4,400 rpm

The current GS300 is:
220 hp @ 5,800, 220 lb-ft @ 3,800 torque

and the previous GS300 had:
3.0-liter in-line 6
225 hp @ 6,000, 220 lb-ft @ 4,000 torque

I know the Solara is FWD and we're supposedly getting an engine "optimized for RWD", but what do you all think? Come on, do the proportions! I'm assuming alot about Toyota's development plans at consistent levels. I chose the Solara b/c it is one of the most recent "performance-oriented" releases from Toyota. This is all just for fun of course.
You mean the current ES 330 rite? :chill:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Toyota Altezza

next Altezza. Toyota is launching a drive to take the twin of the Lexus IS upmarket with higher quality interior trim and using only inline-six cylinder engines (guess who Toyota is emulating). Engine capacities will range from 2.5L to 3.0L and base horsepower will be 220ps.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
BOBEIS300 said:
Toyota Altezza

next Altezza. Toyota is launching a drive to take the twin of the Lexus IS upmarket with higher quality interior trim and using only inline-six cylinder engines (guess who Toyota is emulating). Engine capacities will range from 2.5L to 3.0L and base horsepower will be 220ps.
:roll: whaaat??

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
What are you saying? The IS is going from inline six to V6 - so how can you guess what the improvement will be by looking at the Solara?
I'd guess 250 hp, give or take 10.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Its gonna use the same 3.3 V6... so why try to extrapulate (sp?) a trend line

The RX330, ES330, and Camry V6 all have the same engine and all produce 225 hp...

Id put down serious money, they the next IS will make 225hp

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Lexus' are generally underpowered cars, I expect the next IS to be the same way. Its sad, but true :(

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
im hoping they will do the right thing and stick a larger displacement in there like a 3.5L V6 250+hp or suprise us by starting a V8 4.3L model!! if this doesnt happen i will be disappointed and prolly move to the infiniti camp

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
good riddance...

:lol:
the power cold-war is a load of horseshit anyway... who cares? for daily driving our cars have AMPLE power. 99% of buyers are satisfied w/ the power, its the ENTHUSIASTS who are not happy, but we're such a small segment of their target demographic that they could really give rats ass what we think... sad, but true.

Lexus is not, and has never been about all out performance. Perhaps y;all forgot that somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
good riddance...

the power cold-war is a load of horseshit anyway... who cares? for daily driving our cars have AMPLE power. 99% of buyers are satisfied w/ the power, its the ENTHUSIASTS who are not happy, but we're such a small segment of their target demographic that they could really give rats ass what we think... sad, but true.

Lexus is not, and has never been about all out performance. Perhaps y;all forgot that somewhere along the way.
werd

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
true, but the IS needs to at least stay within spitting distance of Altimas and Accords, which means 250 hp minimum. Otherwise people won't touch it - ample hp or not.

The ES and IS will both have a V6, but do we know it's the same engine? Seems unlikely.

s0yb0mb said:
good riddance...

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with most everyone responding to this thread. I'm not taking any extrapolation seriously here...I'm just trying to gauge a barometer of Lexus' sense of adventure as to how they enhance the performance aspect of their cars. Purely for fun.

On the point about the IS having ample power and only enthusiasts being a niche market as the ones who care about having more...in actuality, horsepower, whether they use it or not, matters to non-enthusiasts as well...it's part of PERCEIVED VALUE and will weigh heavily when any Lexus buyer is presented statistics versus competing manufacturer models. What I'm trying to say is there are many many "pseudo enthusiasts" who will look at horsepower and will never tap the full potential of the car, but it will make a difference in their purchase decision.

There are plenty of non-enthusisasts I know who might decide against a car if they are told "that model you're looking at is WAY UNDERPOWERED...you need to look at one of these instead..." etc.

The list of cars I posted was just a random grab from models Toyota is presenting as a blend of luxury and performance. I'm just trying to figure out how they've positioned their cars historically, albeit consistently underpowered, versus the competition (with the exception of the great Supra TT :p :wink: ).

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
LexMunky5 said:
s0yb0mb said:
good riddance...

werd
When s0y becomes the voice of reason in a thread, we have a problem.

I think that the corperate V-6 could be the new IS engine. We shall know soon...when the new entry-level GS hits the streets.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
I actually heard that they are discontinuing the IS model due to low sales...

i dunno...we'll see what happens!

:crazy:

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
I actually heard that they are discontinuing the IS model due to low sales...
Nah, don't be such a pessimist. I've heard the opposite, in fact. Next-gen IS will supposedly come in 4 body styles and a couple of different engine sizes, a la BMW 3-series.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I seriously think Lexus/Toyota has some things up their sleeves. I mean the IS is a SPORTS SEDAN and the handling is def sporty, the exterior is sporty so we cant argue with that, so therefore were just missing the horsepower. I dont think a extra 10 HP is going to drive sales up, especially with all these other car's producing 280hp and so on. I seriously think they will shock us all by def adding more then just 10HP to the car. From what I was told from the owner of my Lexus dealership and this is no salesman telling me this, but that this coming spring/early summer they were going to release a coupe/convertible IS and that might boost sales leading to the newly changed IS for 2005. All I can say is be patient and lets hope we get some more power under the hood.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JoSchmo_IS300 said:
I seriously think they will shock us all by def adding more then just 10HP to the car. From what I was told from the owner of my Lexus dealership and this is no salesman telling me this, but that this coming spring/early summer they were going to release a coupe/convertible IS and that might boost sales leading to the newly changed IS for 2005. All I can say is be patient and lets hope we get some more power under the hood.
Funny you mentioned that b/c the technician at the dealership I just went to for service mentioned the same thing about the coupe/convertible release in the works.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
good riddance...

another reason for TRD or even another company to emulate (Brabus and AMG). Just for those who are interested...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts