Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Infoworld, suckers:

EVERY CAB DRIVER in Las Vegas grumbled about the poor attendance at November's Comdex. "The economy must be in worse shape than I thought," one driver mused. "Some of these big hotels still have vacancies on the second day of the show." Normally I take whatever a cabbie says straight to the bank. I nodded politely, but didn't share his gloomy outlook. In fact, Comdex was the last bit of evidence I needed that the recovery is truly under way. As always, Comdex 2002 reflected the current state of IT: Starved almost down to the bone, but wiser and tougher for the missed meals. Vendors that made it this far have put customers back in charge, and a crop of affordable, innovative products shows the market's influence.

IT shops of all sizes are hiring again, albeit tentatively, and they're pulling bargains from a pool of motivated, experienced talent. Productivity is skyrocketing as workers sharpen their skills by studying and experimenting. The graybeards are shouldering their share of the load, right alongside the recent college grads who will never take the economy, or the value of hands-on experience, for granted again.

It has not been a pleasant couple of years, but in the long run the fallout from the recession will be beneficial. Some of the changes the recession wrought border on astonishing. Earlier this year, Intel bet its bankroll on a strategy that sharply delineates servers and workstations. But customers, buying to consolidate, are showing a strong preference for flexible hardware. So Intel surprised us with a dual-role Xeon machine that balances the manageability of a server with the performance of a workstation.

The inside sales divisions at IBM and other major vendors have done a lousy job at taking care of midsize accounts. IBM knows that those accounts will be the first to go active when the recovery kicks in. To target that market, IBM marked down key elements of its software product line, restoring simple, one-price licensing for companies with fewer than 1,000 employees. IBM has slashed prices for new Unix systems based on the 64-bit Power CPU (hello, Moto?). Now WebSphere, DB2, and pSeries servers are within the reach of customers that could only afford PCs, and they'll be sold by resellers and integrators who serve the midsize business market best.

Surely the brightest spot in this dull economy is Apple Computer. After years of pumping out great-looking niche machines, Apple took the chance that the general market would go for a Unix box if it was done properly.

Apple picked the worst possible time to take the biggest risk imaginable. Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server are unqualified hits on everything from $999 notebooks through entry servers. Developers are climbing onto the platform in droves, as well they should. I can't say it emphatically enough: Apple is a serious player in the broad IT market now. As did the other success stories of this recession, Apple got there by turning to its customers instead of putting the squeeze on them when times got tough.

As IT budgets slowly ramp up, turn to vendors that improved products and strengthened customer relationships during the down economy. But never let suppliers forget: Even in times of plenty, IT is a buyer's market.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
So Geoff, you switched from PC to Mac. And your a self-proclaimed "gamer" since Rambus was a absolute necessity on your last home brew system. This leaves me rather perplexed. Arent there like games available for OSX and they are all old titles???

What gives?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HoustonLex said:
So Geoff, you switched from PC to Mac. And your a self-proclaimed "gamer" since Rambus was a absolute necessity on your last home brew system. This leaves me rather perplexed. Arent there like games available for OSX and they are all old titles???

What gives?
I have a Windows XP desktop and a Mac PowerBook G4 laptop. I use the Mac for everthing but games, and truthfully, I don't find myself using the PC that much anymore, games or no.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
s0yb0mb said:
i'm about 2 clicks away from locking this waste of space.
Let's play a game called "Tell Soy to Get Fucked." I'll go first.

Ahem.

Soy, get fucked.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
geoff said:
From Infoworld, suckers:
Insert long POS article here.

And from his infamous **EXPLAIN YOUR LINKS, DUMBHEADS** sticky.

geoff said:
From here on out, any new threads that are posted with just a link (or long POS article) will be locked. If you don't have the motivation to tell us what we're going to be clicking -- especially seeing how a lot of us post from work -- then you shouldn't post at all.

I find Doug oddly sexy.

Did I mention that people like to call me Mrs. Butterworth???

I'm Janie Porche and my fellow Mac fetishist geoff is a hypocrite. :shame:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I am exactly the same.

Only use the PC for games... run XP... have a Powerbook laptop.

I use the PC much less than I did when I first got this laptop...

I will prolly upgrade to the 1ghz / superdrive laptop around christmas time.

I play games competitively... have won about $50,000 cash and over $100,000 in airfare, hotel accomodations, sponsorships, and non-cash prizes. At our company last year, we qualified the US counter-strike, Quake3, Unreal Tournament, Starcraft, and Age of Kings teams to go to Korea and compete in the World Cyber Games in Korea.

Games are how I make my money and my hobby. Hehe. It will be wonderful when one day that too can be done equally as well on Mac. But that day is coming! Soon...

geoff said:
HoustonLex said:

What gives?
I have a Windows XP desktop and a Mac PowerBook G4 laptop. I use the Mac for everthing but games, and truthfully, I don't find myself using the PC that much anymore, games or no.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Modless_IS_=( said:
Games are how I make my money and my hobby. Hehe. It will be wonderful when one day that too can be done equally as well on Mac. But that day is coming! Soon...
It very well may be. I've decided to sell my PC piecemeal, and I'll buy a new Mac desktop when Apple unveils its new CPU (probably the PPC970, a variant of IBM's Power4). With some real HP under the hood, coupled with a rock-solid UNIX OS, Macs could very well have a strong gaming presence.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You don't think so huh? Seems like a sweet out of the box setup from my pov.

Last I had heard wasn't microsoft.com running off apache or was it win2000/xp server based?

hehe

oneeyejack said:
who cares about that article.

you still won't see huge corporations buying mac servers!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
13 Participants
Lex Luthor
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing