Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Happy holidays!

I have what may be a very awkward question..
I drove to another city about 2 1/2 hours away a couple days ago, and I was not at all pleased on how the car handled.. swaying in the wind, and amongst others, I just felt I didnt have control of the car like I want to at the speeds I was going (about 75-80mph, speed limit was 75).. so I have some Christmas money saved up,

what options do I need to get better aerodynamics of my IS? To get 100% control of the car, weather doing 10 or 100, windy, rain, etc etc..

I dont know much about cars, so to my knowledge, I was thinking
lowering it,
body kit,
better spoiler wing
etc..

am I right? can anyone shed some light on this please?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I never had that problem with mine. I would say put it into your suspension and tires before you put it into body kits or anything like that. You could lower it and put on some sways.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
get better tires, I've never had any problems at those speeds.

·
Premium Member
21,418 Posts
Better aerodynamics? You will never be going fast enough to notice any gains from aerodynamics. What you want to correct is body roll. Lower the cars center of gravity and stiffen up the suspension and get some wider tires with nice grip. Leave the larger wing and the body kits alone as they are for mere cosmetics.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone..
now I'm going to use the search button instead of asking "OMGZ WHICH ONES DO I BUY!!!" lol

merry Christmas!
i like you already! haha

but yeah, sways, springs/shocks/coilovers, offset tires

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the car was swaying around perhaps some of your bushings or tie rods are shot. Even with a bone stock IS it shouldn't feel unstable at 80mph. I had mine at 130 the other night and it felt just as good at that speed as it does at 50mph.

Could you feel any play in the steering wheel?

How windy was it? 40-50mph? If it was that windy then yes you would feel the car moving around a bit.

I mention this because perhaps there is something that needs to be fixed before you start modding it.

Also, a bad alignment can cause the car to wonder/feel unstable without any crosswind or anything else. Toe-out in specific. Toe-in on the other hand will make the car even more stable at speed than zero toe or toe out.

I'd check these things first to try and narrow down the cause of your problem. Rather than just throwing money into it without any idea of the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pandas- yes the wind was blowing strong, but when your driving 80mph on an open road, isnt the wind just going to be strong?

also- the car did just come out of the shop, horrible car accident, both tie rods were replaced along with $8,000 of other things, and no, the wheel is nice like always..

·
Registered
167 Posts
pandas- yes the wind was blowing strong, but when your driving 80mph on an open road, isnt the wind just going to be strong?

also- the car did just come out of the shop, horrible car accident, both tie rods were replaced along with $8,000 of other things, and no, the wheel is nice like always..
Yes the wind pushing on the front of the car will always be there at speed, but a crosswind is what pushes the car around.

If the tie rods and a slough of other things were just replaced there is a chance that they skimped on the alignment to get it done quickly. I'd take it to an alignment shop and double check that there was no toe-out.

If there was a big enough cross wind that is probably the cause though.

Or the frame of the car is tweaked from the accident, and it will always drive like that. Hopefully that isn't the case though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looking under the car today while getting gas revealed half a bald tire, so deff time for an alignment. going to call a car place, deff not going back to the place that "forgot" to align the car..

+rep

thank you!!

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
you might want to have a lexus dealer go over the suspension, make sure they installed it all correctly, alignment is a big part of it though. sounds like your car isn't put together properly.

i have been in a stock IS at 145 mph and it's pretty darn stable

1 - 15 of 15 Posts