Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wasssaa

I am happy to say I am new to the go faster forum!:cool:

I have a TE S1 kit on the way and I am piecing together the monitoring system. I was wondering which route you guys would recommend especially since this kit is milder than what most of what you crazy asses are running.

Anyway, I was thinking two routes:
1. Mechanical FP gauge and putting it in line somewhere visible by the rail. Mechcanical Oil Pressure gauge and leaving it somewhere under the hood as well (These are both really just for initial startup--so I can feel safe). Then I was going to get an AFR (of course!) and a Boost pressure gauge. I came accross a triple pod for the center of the dash and was thinkin about the third gauge. What would you guys slap in there? Would you just get an electronic Fuel Pressure gauge and bring it in the cabin? Or oil temp? Or not necessary, waste of money and just stick with 2 gauges in cabin (psi boost and AFR)??

2. Zeitronix ZT2 with the boost sensor, afr sensor, and MAYBE egt. I know the S1 kit is pretty mild...do you think this is overkill? I kinda like the datalogging aspect and everything, but I might only need it once or twice lol or none at all. I like the compactness of the monitoring system since I won't have a pod or anything...but it seems like it would be harder to watch than a gauge with lights and needles ya know?

Are there any other multi-tasking monitors like the zt-2?

Also there is quite a cost difference from these two approaches. Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Put the fuel gauge on the fuel rail. It will provide an easy place to check should a random problem occur.

Get a boost controller that either has A) peak and hold ability B) electronic with peak function.

Save the rest of your $ for something like good tires.

That is all you need...in my opinion :cool:

Reactions: Neegra

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I concur...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hell yeah...That's a lot better than I was expecting!

+ rep to you all ( - baadhabit...I gotta spread the love around before I give you some again haha, so later).

and redline thanks for the BC details! Any specific BCs I should steer clear of?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
wideband and boost controller (usually has a built in boost gauge) is all you need.
I personally prefer more info. I feel better when I know what's going on with things like water temp, EGT, etc. I also like the boost gauge in my face, not on some little box tucked away in the glove box (atleast that's where my EBC is). To each his own.

·
Hello World
3,733 Posts
I would also go with wideband and a top-of-the-notch boost controller :) The rest, such as EGT, fuel pressure, and so on, is your taste

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the Zeitronix ZT2 which does my AFR/EGT/Boost and I can also data log RPM/TPS. I think it's a great little package. I've been looking into the PLX guages(PLX Devices Inc. - A Silicon Valley California Company) though and I'm considering changing. I might sell you my zt-2 if you want.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Saw that at SEMA and it kicks ass. OBD-II scanner and whatever sensor module you want to add. No need to have a different gauge face for every parameter you want to monitor.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
and redline thanks for the BC details! Any specific BCs I should steer clear of?
I have had like 5-6 different BC's in my IS. I had manual (under hood and in car) and electronic. The only one that worked and was consistant was the Blitz SBC. It is worth every penny (I know...kinda pricey).

For everyone...
Keep in mind the audience...a TE S1 kit owner. I'm betting the owner does not have the knowledge to interpret anything other than fuel pressure (easy = showing psi "working" or showing zero "not working") and a boost controller.

If you are not going to be tuning your car, I really do not believe an AF gauge is of value. The #'s move so quick, the car will probably go bad before an owner can correct. Keep your eyes on the road. That will provide more boosted milege for the owner...lol.

Side note...
That PLX gauge is pretty fooking cool :cool:
Neegra - Save your $ to fix or upgrade something that goes wrong...something will.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Like pretty much what everyone else has said, boost gauge and a wideband. If you're on stock compression then an electronic boost controller isn't necessary unless you're planning to upgrade and run more boost later on. A fuel pressure gauge I found useless. Maybe because it's underneath my hood. If there's a drop in fuel pressure, my wideband would let me know right away. I'd see a leaner air/fuel ratio under boost. For a very mild kit like the entry level TE kit, I don't see any need for anything else other than a boost gauge and wideband. A boost gauge will let you know how much boost you're building, if there's a leak somewhere, you'll see a drop in pressure. If your tune is off, you'll see erratic air/fuel ratios under vacuum and boost. If you have a loss in fuel pressure, the wideband will let you know. If you're just a regular person who enjoys doing a WOT pulls every so often on the highway then those are all the gauges you need.

·
Registered
304 Posts
^Yeah that's what I ended up with. Except I still got a mechanical fuel gauge for intial startup/diagnosing, nothing fancy just a pressure gauge. I am doing the install myself so that's why I would get this. So I know the fpr is working well or by how much it's effin up. I know the afr would tell me but I just want to see it, with my own two eyes, at the rail lol:cool:

I got the PLX wideband with their gauge (dm-5), and will get a mechanical boost gauge...that's all I want for this kit.

I am going to make an aluminum double pod to sit nice and low on the steering column and house both of them. Then maybe anodize it black or something and that will take care of the gauges.
I'm not big on the whole gauges everywhere thing, which is the only reason I even mentioned the Zeitronix.

Thanks for the replies everyone

and redline, wtf is up with this...I hope you weren't directing it at me? (Although you guys don't know about me since I just popped up)
Keep in mind the audience...a TE S1 kit owner. I'm betting the owner does not have the knowledge to interpret anything other than fuel pressure (easy = showing psi "working" or showing zero "not working") and a boost controller.
To everyone: ;)

I know why you would say such (since I'm 'new') but you will learn otherwise about me. I am new to this forum but that doesn't mean I can't drive or don't have any mechanical knowledge lol:suspiciou . I am mechanical engineer so I am very technically inclined, not some dumbass like you may think? I have been dying for a turbo RWD with LSD forever...I love messing with stuff and making it better, technically known as optimizing (tuning? hmm). I will rely on the wg spring for now and see how that is, but maybe later add a BC to keep it closed a tad bit longer and smooth out the curve. But probably nothing major. I want something fun to drive and I think 7-8psi MAY do it for me:lol: See ya around

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
and redline, wtf is up with this...I hope you weren't directing it at me? (Although you guys don't know shit about me since I just popped up)

Yes, I was. I suppose we can stop playing nice? People like you show up here all the time. Turn off the asshatness, be humble for a bit and learn. If you had any basic knowledge of boost on any fuel injected car, you would not be asking such elementary questions. It has nothing to do with the IS300.

You basically bought the absolute lowest turbo kit for the IS...from a company that went out of business. You know "tuning" a TE S1 kit consists of lean=raise the fp and rich=lower it? Good luck with that. You will never really be tuning anything that is worth a damn.

I changed my opinion on the BC. You don't need one. Run on the WG spring and invest in an EMS.

Kudo's to doing your own install (seriously).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Turn off the asshatness, be humble for a bit
Why don't you follow your own advice. What is your deal man? I asked a simple question that got simple answers from everyone except you. Then you come along with personal attacks. Your kit might be a whole lot better for your application, but my car is my DD so it has to remain mild for now. I can't have a 600hp setup with a standalone so sorry for that. Maybe I should just jump off a cliff:rolleyes: . I am humble and I'm here to learn. Why the F else would I ask a question on here if I was not being humble or trying to learn:suspiciou ? I never claimed I knew a about turbo systems anywhere did I? You can't just start at the top and know it all. I have learned all the theory, but won't ever truly know until I slap it on. All I said was that I am very technically inclined and take well to reasoning problems/scenarios out. How does that = me being pompous/big headed in any manner? I was just simply informing you that I am not some little 16yr old punk that doesnt know as you may have thought. But whatever man...I don't know where your flaming even came from.

And ems will eventually come...I just don't need it right now...unless you want to buy it for me:lol: Granted this thread is probably worthless for me now since I came to some conclusions, but it exposed me to PLX devices to it served its purpose. Isn't that the point of the forum? To ask things when you are in question and can't find it by searching? I sure as hell didn't find this info when I searched. If you have some personal issue with me for whatever reason it may be, then just stay out of my threads, simple as that. Internet arguments are gay and I am done with this. Come back and talk all the crap you want. This thread will just die.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
You just proved my initial point...you have no experience on this topic. Your "redline, wtf is up with this...I hope you weren't directing it at me?" statement set the wrong tone. Your statement suggest you know what you are talking about. Clearly you do not. I was trying to make sure the help you were receiving was going to be on a level you could understand and would benefit from.

I could care less about age. I treat each poster based on the content of their posts. If you post here the way you initially did, I will try my best to assist you. Once you got all pissy, my feedback to you reflected such. I want to see others boost an IS correctly and have the best experence possible during the process.

It is not about having a car with 600hp. It is listening to a person who has personal experience...who once started out with an entry level turbo kit...that had a "magical black box" as the EMS. It does not work. Yea, the car might run. But, your experience will be as up/down as the daily weather.

The search button does work. Reading all the stickies at the top of this forum is pricless. Good luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You just proved my initial point...you have no experience on this topic. Your "redline, wtf is up with this...I hope you weren't directing it at me?" statement set the wrong tone.
You set the wrong tone man with your "To everyone" comment. When you directly question someone's intelligence and capability, they will tend to get pissy. You are right...newbie to turbo. But not newbie to interpreting . Read the posts...but Whatever. Done. Let the thread die.

THanks for the help

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
You set the wrong tone man with your "To everyone" comment. When you directly question someone's intelligence and capability, they will tend to get pissy. You are right...newbie to turbo. But not newbie to interpreting . Read the posts...but Whatever. Done. Let the thread die.

THanks for the help
watch the language

There are a lot of engineers in here, myself included. it doesn't mean you know anything about cars or turbos.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^
Will do on the language.

Totally correct...me being an engineer doesn't mean I know anything about anything:cool:, especially FI. I was only showing that I have the knowledge to "interpret," which apparently I don't know how to do.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Damn Redline, if I didnt know any better, it seems like your are bashing the crap out of Turboeast and the S1 kit. Everyone that I know who has it is running it perfectly fine with the "magical" black box. Hey, no one ever said its the perfect solution but it does the job. Nothing will ever replace a standalone, we all know that. But not everyone has the resources or the time to get it properly running. ElusiveIS has never upgraded his black box, and last time I saw him he was still burning G35's on the Jersey Turnpike :)

Oh, and Turboeast didn't go "out of business" per se. They did close down their shop, but only because of legal disputes between owners/investors. It didnt have anything to do with faulty equipment or service being sold. Just making sure people dont make assumptions from your comments :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts