Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm thinking I might do it. My dad and I are going down Monday to talk about trading my 01' (1800) miles on it, for a 02'. The reason is because of the simple changes to the 02's that I like. So we will see what happens.

But I think I want the same BLACK on BLACK, just with Nav and stuff.

So is anyone else doing this about trading the 01' for the 02'?

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you want nav so bad, why don't you just get a good aftermarket setup installed. Probably would be better than the factory system. The money you are gonna lose on your car when you trade it in ain't worth the nav and an armrest.

·
Registered
169 Posts
seems kind of sad that you'd think of doing that...especially since you were so hyped about getting your first is300, and that your dad went to so much trouble to make it a big surprise for you. i'm shocked that you would even consider asking him for a brand new one already. if my son did that, i know i would feel disappointed

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Good lord. Here we go again. And then you wonder why the adults here dog you so much. More power to you, or rather, your father though - it's his money, and he has the right to spend it the way he sees fit I suppose.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree... if you're just looking to get an automatic, with Nav, an armrest and the auto-dimming mirror w/compass - go with aftermarket stuff on your 01... you'll save lots of money. The cars are essentially the same!

However - if you're intent on getting a 5spd, I kind of understand. That's what I'm doing! (Although, my 01 is a company lease and I won't be losing any money.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
boyie, you are one dumb mofo. seriously you are one dumb mofo, unless you're daddy is rich...but ne ways you are one dumb mofo.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Err, I'm going to try to withold any personal feelings about this subject, but I'll admit that I too considered a trade for a 01 to a 02 once I found out the 5 speed was available, but once you look closely at the situation, it becomes very unreasonable moneywise.

Intially I expected a shortage of the IS, which would have raised the resell value of it, but given that most dealers have a consistent stock of IS', you'll likely get reamed in the trade-in (I estimate you'll get about 10,000 less than what you paid, which is a ludicrous amount to pay since you can almost lease an M5 for that much per month <about $900> )

So financially speaking, it's a very big hassle to get an 02 just for the minor changes. The nav on the 02s are $2000, which in the aftermarket can get you a system twice as good as the factory, and it will be to your personal preferences in terms of options and placement. The arm rest is a fairly simple mod that a few members on the board have done, and the other differences I imagine you could have done for way less than $10,000.

While I won't resort to namecalling, I'll just say to appreciate what you have already; the IS is a dream car for a first car... just try rolling around in a mid-eighties beater for a month and you'll appreciate your IS one-hundred fold.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by BoYiE:
Yes, I'm thinking I might do it. My dad and I are going down Monday to talk about trading my 01' (1800) miles on it, for a 02'. The reason is because of the simple changes to the 02's that I like. So we will see what happens.

But I think I want the same BLACK on BLACK, just with Nav and stuff.

So is anyone else doing this about trading the 01' for the 02'?

can you say spoooiiled? 1800 miles on the car and you want to trade it in for a new one...
I don't know about you but the rest of us had to work and save hard to earn our own ISs

·
Registered
76 Posts
BoYiE,

If money is no object, then go ahead. Personally, I would not have upgraded from my 2001 IS300 to a 2002 IS300 if it were not for the car wreck, the added safety features (SRS curtain side airbags and Brake Assist) in the 2002.

p.s. The Nav. system is not that impressive. An aftermarket system is better for 2K.

Nancy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my 2002 5spd from Lexus of Concord only because of my 01 getting totaled. I got the 01 from them as well. They treat people well there. I had a great experience there. Talk to Bill Coo he will take care of you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts