Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i dont post too much but i read here alot. My question is, when my girlfriend turns here a/c on (shes the one whos got the IS) it smells like mold for some reason really bad. At first it wasnt too bad but now its gotten pretty annoying. Do i need to change the interior filter? (if it has one) Could it be something with the cooling system? Its an 02 w/ about 30k miles on it. Thanks for all your help in advance.

-Bernie

·
Premium Member
13,761 Posts
could be the in cabin filter, could be a dead animal in the pipes, could be mildew or some bacteria growing in the pipes.

solutions;
change filter

inspect entrance of vent system for animal corpse or related signs such as hairs or skulls

cover ALL vents with heavy duty cloth, mix up antibacterial solution, maybe a bleach solution (or get some type of cleaner spray) and spray at entrance of vent system pipes while having the a/c fan on at full blast, that should send the cleaning solution through the whole system killing the odor causing bacteria.

disclaimer i am not responsible for any damages caused by this info as it is for educational, erotic and entertainment purposes only. i have not done this on my car.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Try spraying some Wurth Odor Neutralizer into the fresh air intake with the cabin fan running. Spray it around the rest of the car, close it up, and let it sit.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wus-8909900.html

Another thing that helps a lot is to always turn off your A/C a minute or so before you park the car. Leave the fan running, just A/C button off. This gets the condensation out of the evaporator or something like that. At any rate, it prevents mold & bacteria from growing while the car sits.

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DonCorleone said:
could be the in cabin filter, could be a dead animal in the pipes, could be mildew or some bacteria growing in the pipes.

solutions;
change filter

inspect entrance of vent system for animal corpse or related signs such as hairs or skulls

cover ALL vents with heavy duty cloth, mix up antibacterial solution, maybe a bleach solution (or get some type of cleaner spray) and spray at entrance of vent system pipes while having the a/c fan on at full blast, that should send the cleaning solution through the whole system killing the odor causing bacteria.

disclaimer i am not responsible for any damages caused by this info as it is for educational, erotic and entertainment purposes only. i have not done this on my car.
:lol: Boy you guys help FAST!!! Another question though, Where is the entrance of the vent system pipes located? im gonna try this today!! :)

thanks again for all you guys help

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts
Just pull the cabin filter out and spray lightly right on the fan.

To get to the filter, pull the two hinge pins at the bottom of the glove compartment door and take out the entire glove box.

Once you have that out, you can see a plastic door that pulls off. Then the filter slides out. You can see the fan right below that.

If that filter is dirty you will want to change that when you can get one.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Not while she's driving :shame: :shame: :shame:

But seriously, i had the same problem, and got rid of it with some lysol.

What I did was i set the fan to use outside air, and turned it up all the way to the max. Then I found the air inlet vents. They are at the base of the windshield, near the winshield wipers. You should see the black plastic vents. I sprayed a good amount of lysol into the vent and just let the system run. It might also be a good idea to open all the car doors or cover your vents with fabric so you're car doesn't fill up with lysol (make sure there's nobody siting in the car with the windows up while you're doing this :eek: )

When I did this, it got rid of the smell for a while (lysol kills mold and mildew). Its about 5-6 months later, and I notice it coming back slightly tho. I notice that the smell comes back pretty strong if I run the AC and just turn off the car. I usually try to run the fan without the ac for a few minutes so that all the condensation from the condensor has a chance to dry.

Disclaimer : Do this at your own risk. It worked for me, but individual results may vary

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
also, before she shuts off the engine, have her put the vents on circulate. (the outside air setting). this allows whatever water or condensation to evaporate while shes not in the car. trust me....this works wonders.

·
Premium Member
13,761 Posts
IS JOE said:
Not while she's driving :shame: :shame: :shame:

But seriously, i had the same problem, and got rid of it with some lysol.

What I did was i set the fan to use outside air, and turned it up all the way to the max. Then I found the air inlet vents. They are at the base of the windshield, near the winshield wipers. You should see the black plastic vents. I sprayed a good amount of lysol into the vent and just let the system run. It might also be a good idea to open all the car doors or cover your vents with fabric so you're car doesn't fill up with lysol (make sure there's nobody siting in the car with the windows up while you're doing this :eek: )

When I did this, it got rid of the smell for a while (lysol kills mold and mildew). Its about 5-6 months later, and I notice it coming back slightly tho. I notice that the smell comes back pretty strong if I run the AC and just turn off the car. I usually try to run the fan without the ac for a few minutes so that all the condensation from the condensor has a chance to dry.

Disclaimer : Do this at your own risk. It worked for me, but individual results may vary
bah my disclaimer was slightly better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.