Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks for all your advice, i'm looking for a little more info about the 50%/100% TRD sways... This is what i'm looking for, I'm not taking the car to the track, it's for every day driving.. However, I do take exit ramps very quickly, usually sharp curves on the ramp, and quick takes offs out of parking lots, and turns like that. I'm looking for the car to stick better during these turns.. Is it worth the $500 (including install) for the sways, or should i just stick with the factory, i don't plan on doing suspension, but I plan on going to 225's on the stock rims this spring

------------------
01 is300
rmm intake
custom stereo

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/heycutie18?d&.flabel=fld5&.src=ph

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Personally, I'm doing the TRD sway bar mod. I think the stock suspension in terms of damping and spring rate are pretty good. However, I feel the ride height could be lowered about an inch. There is noticeable body roll when cornering hard. The sway bars will reduce this.

If you are concerned about how the car handles in corners, you may want to dial in a small amount of negative camber into the alignment; about 1 degree should aid in cornering.

I think the TRD sways will aid the car, especially if you plan on keeping the shocks and springs stock.

01 IJM w/LSD, 5Zigen exhaust, 5Zigen wheels (TRD sways on order, possibly springs/shocks or GAB coilovers).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Camber is the angle of the tire surface relative to the groud. A zero camber is a tire perfectly perpendicular to the ground. A negative will be a tire that lean inward to the car and the positve will be a tire leaning outward. The one disadvantage is that if you dial too much camber, you can have uneven tire wear. Remember, you are not cornering all the time, and thus your tires are not in fully contact of the ground while going straight.
BTW, does anyone know what the stock camber is suppose to be? My rear look like they have too much negative camber. I am not exactly sure what degree they are at, but I would guess it is at least 1degree or so.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Negative camber will also result in two other apects.

1. The inside portion of the tire will wear more quickly if too much camber is dialed-in. This is because the tires will ride on the inside portion of the tread.

2. With some tire designs, there is extra noise because there is generally extra material on the edges of the tires.

A conservative amount of negative camber should not magnify either of the above stated conditions. Anything up to 1 degree or even 1.1 degree should be ok.

Just to be safe, you should always get the baseline spec alignment prior to changing alignment settings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Risk3233
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing