Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really get annoyed when I read comments that say stuff like:

"Just post whatever you want and let the moderator/webmaster come through and do their jobs to clean it up."

Come on people - we don't get paid to do this. I do it because I like to see this forum be a constructive place for the exchange of IS300 information.

Please try to be intelligent about what you post. Moderator "clean-up" will be very limited. If you make a "mess" you will have to live with it.

Sorry about the ranting and raving...

-TEG

·
Registered
112 Posts
hehe TEG, sorry but you're MOD, which means you gotta take the flak and the complaints and the whining, all part of the job....

People in general need a police of sorts where ever they go, if they aren't policed then you'll get the few ones that start testing the waters to see what they can get away with. You give them an inch they take a mile.... That's why we have a policing system, so the few bad apples don't start causing havoc and influincing the others....

This is all IN GENERAL mind you, but it usually is the case for most anywhere ya go. So if ya don't like the complaints, the morons, the flame wars then have someone else MOD.... Not saying you're not doing agood job... but uh.... well you act as if you want MOD status without actually doing anything as a MOD... it's like carrying around a police badge but not having a gun.

Well that's my own opinion, do whatcha it's your forum more than it is mine so take my advice with a grain of salt

[From TEG: "">>you act as if you want MOD status without actually doing anything as a MOD>>""
Grrr.
1> I didn't ask to be a moderator - webmaster asked me if I could help out and do it.
2> I get just as much flack from people saying that I do TOO MUCH and I should just leave everything alone.
]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
666 Posts
TEG and Webmaster:
Just wanted to say I appreciate the site you guys have put up for us IS300 owners. I understand the difficulties in keeping it running the way it was intended. Afterall this is just a hobbie, it's not like you're gatting paid for any of this.

If people don't like how the board is being run they can go else where or start their own. There's no memberhsip fees of the sort here, it's all free, take it or leave it.

It's just too bad a couple of morons have to ruin it for the rest. Just ignore all the negativity and keep going your own way.

·
Registered
162 Posts
TEG,
I believe that you are referring to my previous post in another topic.

Please don't misunderstand what I meant. It wasn't intended to say "post anything you want and let them clean it up". I was simply trying to point out that you and Tony do an excellent "job" of keeping this forum on track.

I meant to say that everyone cannot be a moderator. Could you imagine what would happen if we all had the authority to lock or delete posts? We need to rely on your and Tony's judgements in good faith.

In addition, I can honestly say that I really am honored to be a part of this forum. Undoubtedly, it's better than any other one I have been a part of and you have only yourselves to thank for that. That's probably why we do get a lot of non-owners and people who love other cars.

I know you don't get paid to do this, and I don't think people should take your "jobs" for granted.

I hope this helps clear up my last post.

(Damn, another book- here's an idea- you should charge us by the line!! I alone could make you millions!!!)

------------------
Perception IS Reality

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
TEG - I just wanted to clear the air w/ ya...I put that Posting about Chick Cars just to Mind Phuc Geoff...I was only poking fun at him....

Sorry - but the IS just isn't a chick car like the CL is...lol

I am also sorry to hear that this is becoming a job for you...I'll clean up my act.

Agent Smith Out

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well if it counts for anything, I think that that TEG and Tony are doing a fantastic job. Those guys are very enthusiatic and provide us with a lot of useful insight. They need not do more.......
Eric...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Tony could always appoint more moderators couldn't he? Or give moderator status to everyone who is a moderator on all the forums...of course that can lead to problems like the ones on supraforums with posts locked, deleted, edited, whatevers, and no one knows who did what...All in all I think this forum is one of the most controlled ones I've ever seen. Thanks go out to Webmaster for making this place and also to TEG for keeping us reasonably in check when we go astray...
K, peace.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
TEG had nominated an additional moderator, I guess it's time for me to go ahead and appoint him...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

[From TEG:
Yeah - I had thought that "Simple Lad" was level headed and informed... But I haven't seen him in a while, and he hasn't agreed to do any moderator duties, so that might not help anything... ]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Tony, I am unfamiliar with the software or whatever runs this board. Is there a way to tell which moderator locks/deletes/edits/etc a thread? That seems to be a big thing on supraforums, and I would hate to see it happen here. Maybe everything will be cool as long as there is only one admin?

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
Tony, I am unfamiliar with the software or whatever runs this board. Is there a way to tell which moderator locks/deletes/edits/etc a thread? That seems to be a big thing on supraforums, and I would hate to see it happen here. Maybe everything will be cool as long as there is only one admin?
Not really. But we can make it a rule that if a moderator is to lock a topic that he/she posts the last message in it stating why they're locking the thread...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
Not really. But we can make it a rule that if a moderator is to lock a topic that he/she posts the last message in it stating why they're locking the thread...

That makes sense, as long as there aren't too many moderators then everything should stay cool. If I may ask, what differences in rights are there between admin and moderator?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some of the things that Tony/Webmaster/Admin can do which a moderator cannot are:

1> Lookup profile information like email addresses.
2> Manipulate IDs (like delete them)
3> Reboot or take down the bboard
4> Make changes to the bboard settings (like create new forums, etc.)
--------------------------------------
So far, these are the only special "powers" I think I have as a moderator:
1> Edit other people's posts
2> Delete other people's posts
3> Close a topic
--------------------------------------
I really want webmaster to create an "IS300 Owners" forum (section) since I want to read about owners comments rather than chatter from people considering or touting their Hondas, BMWs, etc.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
I really want webmaster to create an "IS300 Owners" forum (section) since I want to read about owners comments rather than chatter from people considering or touting their Hondas, BMWs, etc.
B]

FINE!!!!
Ok, Ok, Ok... We're gonna make it so only owner's can post though - just gotta figure out the easiest way to do that.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the VIN checking code works, you could do a simple screening for valid IS300 VIN, but some people could sneak in with a pirate VIN.

The main tool is that you and I will have more freedom to remove non owner postings.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
As a potential IS300 owner, I'd like reading what the common gripes/fixes are. Could you make it so it is maybe read-only for non owners? I am getting bored with all this "CL vs IS" trash talk.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah - definately - read only for anyone who wants to visit.

If webmaster can't come up with a (halfway decent) way to verify ownership, I would hope we start the Owners Forum anyways, and I will just try to delete postings which don't belond there...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
TEG, as I have said before, you do us all a service by "working" this forum, keep it up, a lot of people appreciate it.

I wanted to share my new toy "A VETTE" of all things and of course you gotta put up with some crap from these younger guys, NOT like this at all at "Corvetteforum" you should visit.

Anyway, bye for now and thanks for having me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts