Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 360 Posts

·
Banned
3,989 Posts
EDIT: For a tutorial with photos: http://my.is/forums/f62/is300-throttle-cable-spacer-350180/

mine is very loose and has alot of slack..i can push the pedal down about 1/4 inch before it starts to rev. thats terrible. keepp in mind i have 3SGE engine and not a 2jz....if that makes a difference.
thanks

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
So the throttle on your car is not electronic?

·
Banned
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have no idea to be honest...when i checked under the drivers side dash i traced from the pedal and felt a wire and i can rev the engine from underneath the hood by pulling the throttle cable, or at least what i think is the throttle cable...im very ignorant on this subject excuse me

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i dont have a 3sge equipped car, but the 2jzge. and i noticed the lack of response. i first thought maybe its because ive been driving a 4age corolla around.. then i thought, shit maybe i have throttle by wire. so i broke out the tools and there is still a mechanical throttle cable. toyota used some thread lock, or something, and it was a bitch to turn free but now i have no slack. i havent really tested it out yet, i just got the car thursday and im waiting on insurance, i did notice it was hard to toe/heel and rev match with such a slow responding throttle :( good luck, i would hope toyota simplified things and used a good 'ol mechanical throttle cable for the 3sge equipped cars.
anyways, what i did was situate the bolts holding the throttle in place so there wasnt any slack in the cable. its hard to explain but once you see it, you'll know how far 'back' (as in away from the throttle body) you have to mount the throttle cable so theres no slack. good luck.

·
Banned
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ fantastic thank you!!!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
black86 said:
i dont have a 3sge equipped car, but the 2jzge. and i noticed the lack of response. i first thought maybe its because ive been driving a 4age corolla around.. then i thought, shit maybe i have throttle by wire. so i broke out the tools and there is still a mechanical throttle cable. toyota used some thread lock, or something, and it was a bitch to turn free but now i have no slack. i havent really tested it out yet, i just got the car thursday and im waiting on insurance, i did notice it was hard to toe/heel and rev match with such a slow responding throttle :( good luck, i would hope toyota simplified things and used a good 'ol mechanical throttle cable for the 3sge equipped cars.
anyways, what i did was situate the bolts holding the throttle in place so there wasnt any slack in the cable. its hard to explain but once you see it, you'll know how far 'back' (as in away from the throttle body) you have to mount the throttle cable so theres no slack. good luck.
yes there is a cable, but you DO have throttle by wire. pull off the in take and watch the throttle plates not move when you pull on the cable. turn the key on (engine off) and try again. youll see.
cable only really controls the last 25% or so of the throttle.

Reactions: brandonbaz

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Lextech1 said:
yes there is a cable, but you DO have throttle by wire. pull off the in take and watch the throttle plates not move when you pull on the cable. turn the key on (engine off) and try again. youll see.
cable only really controls the last 25% or so of the throttle.
i thought it was the first 25%, the rest is electronic... guess i read wrong...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i see.. so initial 25% is controlled via mechanical cable and the rest is electrically controlled? ive driven the car since the mod, since its insured now, and it is a little more responsive. guess i will look into some mods for some low to mid gains and increase the response! or a 3sge would do it. i think its because its an I6. my cousins g35 coupe feels the same way, i believe that is throttle by wire as well but most importantly its a v6. damn 6 cylinders! give me an I4 and some ITB's!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
the day i bought it i felt the same thing and i thightend the throttle cable in two places. 1: under the hood right at the throttle body with two wrenches. and 2: on the gas peddle. There is a spring with a plastic bushing. I found that a spacer from an RC car shock kept the spring from compressing on the cable and that will make the throttle really responsive. try those and you will be suprised.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
thanks MKis3. will do!! i have those shock spacers that put a load on the spring. they are C shaped and wrap around the shocks body right? hahaha damn expensive hobby was worth keeping :-X how much should i put on it? 2mm? 10mm? thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wow, thanks to all for the insight. Between this and the CDD mod, hopefully throttle/clutch should respond like a normal car when heel-and-toeing...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
MKis3 said:
the day i bought it i felt the same thing and i thightend the throttle cable in two places. 1: under the hood right at the throttle body with two wrenches. and 2: on the gas peddle. There is a spring with a plastic bushing. I found that a spacer from an RC car shock kept the spring from compressing on the cable and that will make the throttle really responsive. try those and you will be suprised.
HOLY SHIT! that spacer does wonders! i feel more engine vibration, which i think the spring was there to help supress, but i could care less! it made my motor SUPER responsive! i can feel it slowing turning into my corolla :p +rep for you man. thanks again. if i had a camrea id show the world, but i dont have one. look under your dash and you'll find it. if you dont mind the vibrating gas pedal, id do this mod! maui wowee. i cant believe it.. car feels 1000X better. sorry if this isnt new to half of the people here. but if it is. you guys should do it.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
^^ Can you elaborate what you exactly did to the gas pedal (spacer / spring)...etc ???

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
alright, well if you look under the dash. where the throttle cable is connected to the gas pedal. there are a few washers and inbetween it. if you really wanted to see it. you could just feel it. there is a spring. you put a C shaped spacer OVER the spring, so it bypasses the spring and you have a washer to washer connection. making the throttle much more responsive! +rep MKis3!!

1 - 20 of 360 Posts