Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but didn't find anything.

Is there a modification to turn off the AC compressor at WOT?
This would be a significant power gain (saver).

Horsepower loss from the compressor is around 8-10% (17-21hp).

There are situations where you need max power and can't reach over to turn it off and manual shift makes it even more difficult to manage.

I don't recall this being incorporated in the IS and can't feel the cold air switching to warm at WOT.

Several high end sports cars have this feature. I know for a fact that the Dodge Viper does.

I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up on this forum before.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
This is a worthless idea.

When would you ever need that 17-21hp? If you are racing....then just turn the AC off. If you are just cruising around and want to stomp on the throttle...the AC isn't going to make much of a difference in how the car performs unless you are on a track.

High end sports cars have this feature because they are high end sports cars. The IS is not a high end sports car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FourT6and2 said:
This is a worthless idea.
When would you ever need that 17-21hp?
Ha-Ha!
About as often as you need the 15hp from your SRT intake and the 5hp from your Borla cat-back.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Ray from NJ said:
Ha-Ha!
About as often as you need the 15hp from your SRT intake and the 5hp from your Borla cat-back.

Before you go quoting facts... tell me how you measured this. On the IS300. A graph or chart would be good. ;)

Horsepower loss from the compressor is around 8-10% (17-21hp).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Ray from NJ said:
I just started looking into it. No IS300 measurements yet.
Just a bunch of threads to support my estimate.

Subys have a cutoff switch for hp gains too:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132994
Get some measurements for us and post up.

Until then, make it very clear that you only have estimates based on what you've read in other forums. ;)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Ray from NJ said:
Ha-Ha!

You see, I thought of that already.

The AC thing...not worth it because you can just turn your AC off as it is a parasitic drain on the engine.

As far as NA mods go...they free up power that is not currently being taken advantage of.

When will there ever be a situation where you need to turn your AC off in an emergency where you can not reach over and just turn it off by hand? Never.

Unless you are becomming hypothermic or something and can't move your arms...but you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Plus, I've come to realize that NA mods are also worthless...boost all the way.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
the only way it could be a 17-21hp loss with the AC on is if it were on FULL BLAST.... AND maybe if you had 4 heavy people in your car... AND maybe if your tires were under-inflated..

just click it off if you punch the gas dude.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
It's not too difficult.

Works like this.
Splice in on the TPS sensor. When it hits a certain voltage, relay opens and disconnects the relay to the AC compressor.

The haltech has a feature to do this as well.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
I thought most cars did this already. I think my Civic dos and I know my Nissan does. I can't imagine that was left out of the IS.

-Justin

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Justin.b said:
I thought most cars did this already. I think my Civic dos and I know my Nissan does. I can't imagine that was left out of the IS.

-Justin
Cause lexus owners need to stay cool while flooring it.

Reactions: the wrong tone
1 - 16 of 16 Posts