Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading Brad's install for his Mk3 Supra Torsen differential install into his IS300 I decided to give it a shot http://my.is/forums/f88/cheap-lsd-upgrade-mk3-supra-torsen-lsd-342673/. I eventually went to the junk yard to snag a Clutch type LSD out of a 89' Turbo Supra. Upon doing so I began ordering parts, which consisted of new bearings (As Brad suggested in his post), new clutch packs and washers, and various shims sizes for the shop to achieve proper backlash. So after about $300 in parts and $650 in labor, I went from a peg-legging car to an awesome 2-way acting track whore. I had the shop tighten up the differential as much as possible and let me just say its the best mod I have done to my car. The reason mine costed almost 1G is due to it never being done, the shop having to replace my Pinion bearings(worn down for whatever reason), and then misc stuff. You guys can do this swap whether it be the Clutch type or the torsen. Either way just as Brad did, I went outside the mainstream and I am very happy with the results. I have a Drift even at Thunderhill this week and I will return to you guys with pictures. (Rep is appreciated to both Brad and myself)

Thanks guys.

-Joe

·
Registered
167 Posts
You sure its a 2-way?

I've never seen or heard of any car coming with a 2-way from the factory.

1-way yes, but not 2.

Just curious.

Have fun at Thunderhill!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"I had the shop tighten up the differential as much as possible" so they basically made it a full locking differential aka 2-way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm sure since they shimmed it it does lock hard under acceleration.

However deceleration locking is only controlled by the cam profile in the diff. A one way cam profile cannot lock on decel.

On another note, does it clunk like an aftermarket clutch type diff since they shimmed it? Or is it more mildly mannered like stock?

Its rad to see somebody rocking a clutch plate style diff.

I like my Torsen but it is definately not as predictable when drifting as the Kaaz 2-way in my other car.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not overly loud. You can feel it more then hear it. Id say its a tad more aggressive then the stock setup when it comes to noise. Having the right type of fluid and slip lock additive helps thought.

-Joe

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So a quick change to make. I smelled burning diff fluid and discovered I was leaking fluid. I took at back to the shop to see if it was just the cover seal, but we discovered that the stock IS300 half shafts don't snap into place with the Mk3 Clutch type differential. So after comparing the IS300 and Supra half-shaft, we machined the IS300 shaft down and then it worked. Basically there is about 3/4 of an inch of extra metal at the end of the half shaft that prevents the snap ring from going into place. The differential is back in and working perfectly with no leaks. Mission accomplished! Going to the track in 4 days.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Drift event??? Where in CA?

Oh, as the guy above had stated, props for rocking a clutch type diff!

·
Registered
167 Posts
There's tons of drift events in CA.

The one he went to was probably Thunder hill.

There's events at buttonwillow as well.

And Willow springs.

And tons of parking lots.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I just got back. It was the Grip n Slip at Thunderhill. I am tired as hell. I will post videos and pictures in a couple days. Until then.....sleep = greater.

-Joe

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
did you slip and grip? hah. clutch type is awesome, but the short maintenance intervals and shorter rebuilding intervals is a PITA; especially if you grip and then slip :p did it take getting use to having it lock on deceleration on a heavy car like the IS? was the weight transfer smooth?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything worked the way I wanted to for the most part. I will post a video of the skid pad run I did as soon as I can. The only I can say at this point is I want coilovers and better tires....and to defeat Brake Assist.

-Joe

Reactions: black86

·
Registered
167 Posts
Looks great. If you have a chance to go to Buttonwillow, do it. Its awesome.

Short maintenance intervals? Change fluid before every other event. 20 mins tops. cake.

Rebuild intervals? Not really. My Kaaz in my S14 has 15+ events and 40k miles on it and still going strong.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I plan to hit up all the local tracks: Laguna, Infineon, Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, ect. The car does feel a lot more aggressive, just need better suspension and tires.

-Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts