Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently in progress of installing an 87 turbo supra clutch type lsd into my diff housing.

here's the lsd inside the is300 housing with the is300 ring gear. i also installed the weir performance shim kit while i was at it. Clutch plates were not worn at all. everything went smoothly. backlash was checked on the spider gears and the ring and pinion.

Now heres the fitment issue: inside the holes where the axle half shafts go in there's these things protruding from inside the hole. left side is a different shape and size compared to the right.

Stock is300 half shafts. left pictured is untouched and the right one is trimmed.

have any of you guys ran into this issue?
looking to see what i can do before i have to bring these half shafts to the machine shop to get a hole drilled in them to match the protruding pieces which i wont be able to do due to work schedule.

EDIT: i installed the inners backwards. yeah that resolves it..

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah I didn't have any issues at all on mine. I just cut the OEM IS300 stub axles on a table saw (approx. 5mm or to the groove) and installed them. I hope you have better luck with the LSD then I did. It's not bad for the street, even with the Weir shims, but not great for drifting on a track. I bought a welded diff from a guy getting rid of his IS300 a yr or two back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I didn't have any issues at all on mine. I just cut the OEM IS300 stub axles on a table saw (approx. 5mm or to the groove) and installed them. I hope you have better luck with the LSD then I did. It's not bad for the street, even with the Weir shims, but not great for drifting on a track. I bought a welded diff from a guy getting rid of his IS300 a yr or two back.
ill see how it goes on the track. i still have my open diff i can weld if it isnt up to par. but i guess anything beats having an open diff

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You can pack the LSD with more discs. It takes a few different thicknesses. Just over pack it. It will tighten up more. But a spool or weld diff. Would be quicker to break lose for drifting.

·
Registered
576 Posts
ill see how it goes on the track. i still have my open diff i can weld if it isnt up to par. but i guess anything beats having an open diff
Are you going to be drifting or gripping?

You can pack the LSD with more discs. It takes a few different thicknesses. Just over pack it. It will tighten up more. But a spool or weld diff. Would be quicker to break lose for drifting.
The Weir Performance kit has ~ 6 smooth discs that you're supposed to insert between the existing friction discs. The Stage 2 kit that I got had a smaller spring as well that goes in the existing larger spring for extra force on the discs. In theory it works, but for drifting it's not really that great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you going to be drifting or gripping?
Mostly dailying, but occasional drifting at the local track. Probably only a few track days in a year. I just finished rebuilding my motor and threw it back in the car. Still breaking in the clutch so I haven't tested out the lsd yet. Ill keep you posted how it performs.

My only experience with lsd is a kazz 2 way on my s14

1 - 6 of 6 Posts