Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is long winded but check this out...

My new/used IS has a HID lamp out, so I assume its the bulb. It's not. The fellow who owned the car before me took the lens off the light housing to paint the chrome inner part flat black (I assume to match JDM) Anyway, further trouble-shooting led me to see that the light housing was not sealed good and the HID ballast inside just corroded away. (only one, the other was ok) So I look around on the net for some aftermarket HID light kits, and housings. After unsatisfying results I decide to buy the OEM ballast, and OEM light housings. I call a local dealer and request some pricing. I ask the parts guy if the ballast is included with the housing. He says "No". So this is what I got:

$259.00 each for the housings :-?
$1159.00 for one HID ballast :cry:

And a comment "No returns on electrical parts"

No problem on the no returns policy because my orignal stuff is broke and corroded.

After a mild heart attack over the ballast I say "Oh, sh*t , go ahead and order the parts." :noway:

Well I go to pick up the light housings and the module I hope is made of solid gold. I am a little pissed that my total bill is pushing 1700.00. I pay for the parts. I gracefully try to sew the gaping hole left by my buddy at Lexus and carry the two taped up light housing boxes and my not so golden light module to the truck. In anticipation, I open one of the light housings and notice the shielded wire and plug that attaches to the HID bulb, which I know is attached to a ballast because I cut the one off my corroded ballast. I am thinking "Could the ballast be included in the housing?" I pull a phillips-head screw driver from my tool box and proceed to remove the plate that conceals the ballast. Low and behold, there's a ballast in my housing. I match the part numbers up to the one I paid so dearly for and they match to the 'T'. I open the other box and see the same thing. So I put the plate back on and march back into the parts department with a housing in one hand, expensive ass ballast in the other. I tell my buddy (who is wiping the vasoline off his britches), "Hey, I think the ballast comes with the housing, I dont need this one" He takes the housing from me, looks at it for a bit, hands it back and says "The ballast isn't in there". So I ask for a screwdriver so I can show him. He fetches me one, and I take the cover off. After matching the module inside to the one I paid 1000 bucks for, he says "Hmm..., well I can't take the ballast back, it's policy" So I set the parts counter on fire. Now the "Parts Manager" gets into the mix. He doen't even understand what is going on. He thinks I installed the stuff and now want a refund. I explain the whole the to him and He finally refunds my money, but not before a long lecture about their no returns policy. :pissed:

So this is what I learned:

1. You really can return electrical parts, if you give them enough crap.

2. Dont take your light housing apart!

3. Lexus parts guys dont know what the hell there talking about.

4. If your ballast goes bad, buy the whole light housing, you'll save $750.00

5. If you dont need a ballast buy your housings from .net. Hell, these may even come with ballasts. I could have saved an additional 200.00 or more. Stupid me!

Just a rant. The parts guy made a mistake, but I wonder if they made a bigger mistake. Maybe I should have paid $1400 for each light. :wink:

Still it's all BS, I shouldn't really have to buy new housings, but the previous owner screwd them all up!

Chris

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Carson Toyota/Lexus Parts said:
Wow.............you went through all that..........

Next time PM me, I sell the factory housings for $177.00..................yikes
for $177.00 it's cheap without the ballast....

but for his $259.00 each he got 2 new HID ballasts with it. :-?

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
kraze8 said:

I should have mentioned...............that's with them as well :)

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
kraze8 said:

I should have mentioned...............that's with them as well :)
:eek:

thanks for pointing that out... I'm looking in the near future to purchase a set so I can open them up and paint them... good to know.. thanks Steve!

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
This is very strange. Why on earth would anybody want to pay much more to get less? Wouldn't it be wiser for everybody to just get the whole package for 177.00 from Steve rather than paying 1000.00 for just the ballast? I just don't see the logic in pricing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
basicly the same had happen to me as far as getting a new light, i was told it did not come with a ballast (which i did not need) but it did so i guess i have a spare if i need it or i could sell it for 1000.00 also :lol:
makes me wonder about the parts department

1 - 8 of 8 Posts