Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question... the car misfires @ low rpms (when I'm not in boost) like crazy by runs flawless @ boost. The car is running bout 10-11 psi w/ a 2mm headgasket and it's pretty damn quick. More info on the kit later but I wanna figure out the misfiring problem first. On the greddy emanage I have the knobs set to 6-2-4 and jumper two was changed from 1-2 to 2-3 (5v to 12v). Is there any other jumpers I should change or remove? Anyone have any clues on why it's misfiring during low rpms? I did a quick scan for codes and I get random misfires codes and a system to rich code. Can it just be a tuning issue? BTW... spark plugs is gapped a .028. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
If the ecu is detecting a rich condition, this seems like it is backing off the timing causing the misfire. Does it run rich real rich at the low rpms? Any black smoke when it idles or starts? If it is an ecu issue, then I think there are two solutions:

1. HKS DLI
2. Standalone

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wxman said:
If the ecu is detecting a rich condition, this seems like it is backing off the timing causing the misfire. Does it run rich real rich at the low rpms? Any black smoke when it idles or starts? If it is an ecu issue, then I think there are two solutions:

1. HKS DLI
2. Standalone
There's no black smoke @ idle... but I do hear the exhaust go blurp...blurp...burp... I'm not sure if it's backfiring @ idle or misfiring @ idle. On the dyno when we do full throttle runs I'm @ about 11.1-11.5 for a/f and it runs perfect.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
hchan said:
Wxman said:

1. HKS DLI
2. Standalone
There's no black smoke @ idle... but I do hear the exhaust go blurp...blurp...burp... I'm not sure if it's backfiring @ idle or misfiring @ idle. On the dyno when we do full throttle runs I'm @ about 11.1-11.5 for a/f.
Does the trac flash and CEL go on?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wxman said:
hchan said:
Wxman said:

1. HKS DLI
2. Standalone
There's no black smoke @ idle... but I do hear the exhaust go blurp...blurp...burp... I'm not sure if it's backfiring @ idle or misfiring @ idle. On the dyno when we do full throttle runs I'm @ about 11.1-11.5 for a/f.
Yea.. trac is flashing and CEL goes on.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
hchan said:
Wxman said:
hchan said:
Wxman said:

1. HKS DLI
2. Standalone
Limp

·
Registered
225 Posts
hchan said:
There's no black smoke @ idle... but I do hear the exhaust go blurp...blurp...burp... I'm not sure if it's backfiring @ idle or misfiring @ idle. On the dyno when we do full throttle runs I'm @ about 11.1-11.5 for a/f and it runs perfect.
I have the same problem, but I gapped mine to 0.026.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is... SRT kit misfires @ high rpms @ boost while I misfire @ low rpms and run flawless @ boost. I really think it's a setting or configuration on the emanage or maybe I have to get it tune for drivability. The only jumper I changed is JP2 from 1-2 to 2-3. Anyone know if anything else have to be changed?

Wxman said:
hchan said:
Wxman said:
hchan said:
Wxman said:

1. HKS DLI
2. Standalone
That seems like an obvious case of the car detecting the rich condition with the new A/F ratio. The car will try to lean out the A/F ratio and when it cannot sufficiently lean the car it will try to back off the timing. This causes misfires and the car will go into limp mode. It seems like your car is in limp mode. The only answer is to get something to control timing so the car will not be able adjust the timing. Standalone or the HKS DLI will do this. Looks like TBKO and SRT are having this problem now.

This really frusterates me. Anyone who has been on this board may remember about one year ago I WARNED people about this very problem. I was flamed all over the place. People told me to shut up and that I was only trying to start garbage. I will say it once more. There is really only one way to turbo charge the IS300 correctly. You need to be able to control the A/F ratio and the timing. Or you are playing with fire.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
gavron1 said:
The greddy should pretty much be silent during idle settings letting the stock ecu run the car until you go into boost from my understanding.
That's what I was thinking too...

why are you rich at low RPMs?
Can't you lean it out?

what's your fuel setup?
did you do a swap of all six injectors or did you go with the 7th/8th injector setup?

anyway you can increase the A/F to 12 ?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm running a 60-1 hifi w/ 6 550 injectors. I'll plug in the emanage and then pull it out so I can give u guys my jumper and boost cut clamp setting.

goldark said:
gavron1 said:
The greddy should pretty much be silent during idle settings letting the stock ecu run the car until you go into boost from my understanding.
That's what I was thinking too...

why are you rich at low RPMs?
Can't you lean it out?

what's your fuel setup?
did you do a swap of all six injectors or did you go with the 7th/8th injector setup?

anyway you can increase the A/F to 12 ?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gavron1 said:
Do you know the rest of your jumper settings?
Also what do you have the boost limit cut settings clamped at?
What's the cut setting supposed to be set at?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
you should try 6,2,5 on the rotary switchs. Also you will need a obdii scan tool and look at your long term fuel trims at idle, you need to be under 20% to avoid the cel optimum is 0-12%.
Mike

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
my car did this untill i got the "split second" ftc1. I can screw with the ignition and stock or after market injector timing. It took dyno tuning to make the car run perfect.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been hearing lots of different stories. I tried 6-2-5 but that misfired like crazy too. I talked to a couple of guys and was told to give 6-2-4 a try. My jumpers is now set @:
J1 - 2-3
J2 - 2-3
J3 - 1-2
J4-J6 - Out
J7 - 1-2

Now here's another problem... car does not fucking start anymore after I changed the settings on the emanage. J1 was set @ 1-2 and J4-J6 had pins in before. Hmmm... I'll play around w/ it tomorrow... at least try to get it starting... FUCKING SNOW!!

BTW... clamp is set @ 5.0

·
Registered
713 Posts
i have emanage and the car works great.

My plugs are gapped to .032.

Could the issue be at all related to the 550 cc injectors? I have 440.

The 6-2-5, 6-2-4 may be related to what year the car is?
Mine are 6-2-5 with 2002 model.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Neo302 said:
i have emanage and the car works great.

My plugs are gapped to .032.

Could the issue be at all related to the 550 cc injectors? I have 440.

The 6-2-5, 6-2-4 may be related to what year the car is?
Mine are 6-2-5 with 2002 model.
I have a '03 and it's set @ 6-2-4... my plugs should be gapped correctly since I don't misfire @ boost.

·
Registered
789 Posts
hchan said:
I've been hearing lots of different stories. I tried 6-2-5 but that misfired like crazy too. I talked to a couple of guys and was told to give 6-2-4 a try. My jumpers is now set @:
J1 - 2-3
J2 - 2-3
J3 - 1-2
J4-J6 - Out
J7 - 1-2

Now here's another problem... car does not fucking start anymore after I changed the settings on the emanage. J1 was set @ 1-2 and J4-J6 had pins in before. Hmmm... I'll play around w/ it tomorrow... at least try to get it starting... FUCKING SNOW!!

BTW... clamp is set @ 5.0
What settings did you change? Jumper settings? from what to what?
I belive my clamp is set at 4.5 below 3500 then goes to 4.7. i will look tomorrow when I have my laptop files

1 - 20 of 48 Posts