Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m in need of some help. I have a 2004 Lexus IS300 and I’m getting a misfire on cylinder 1-3. I swapped our the wires and the spark plugs of the car but, i still have the same problem. The cylinders did have oil in the which cause the white smoke

History of the car, 141k mileage, I only drove it for 1k miles, 2-3 times a week and one day when i drove the car it began to over heat on me, yes it did turn off. When i got to check on the car the radiator was completely cracked from the bottom. I did drive the car home and it was completely fine till I got home and it started to feel strange.

Please help me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fix the oil leak. But check the connectors on the coils and ignitor. Replace if broken.
The car does not have an oil leak and I did get the connectors on the coils changed. I looked everywhere and I am not seeing a leak anywhere, completely dry floor under the car.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If the car overheated and shut off and you also had a cracked radiator that points to a bad head gasket. You should do a compression test to verify you still have good compression on the cylinders. Low compression would cause a misfire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the car overheated and shut off and you also had a cracked radiator that points to a bad head gasket. You should do a compression test to verify you still have good compression on the cylinders. Low compression would cause a misfire.
my lower radiator hose isn’t warming up, you think that could cause the misfires? As of now from reinstalling all the parts and warming the car up the only misfire I had was one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, you should change the thermostat if it doesn't seem to be opening up. You should definitely compression test the engine as well since it sounds like you have a severe overheating incident.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Coolant temperature will not cause misfires unless the engine is extremely hot. You can also pressure test the cooling system to see if your car is letting coolant into the cylinders.

·
3,517 Posts
The car does not have an oil leak and I did get the connectors on the coils changed. I looked everywhere and I am not seeing a leak anywhere, completely dry floor under the car.
You said "The cylinders did have oil in the which cause the white smoke " This could be a valve cover leak. It could also be a blown head gasket. Check compression and coolant for carbon dioxide.

The coil connectors are fine. what about the connector on the ignitor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You said "The cylinders did have oil in the which cause the white smoke " This could be a valve cover leak. It could also be a blown head gasket. Check compression and coolant for carbon dioxide.

The coil connectors are fine. what about the connector on the ignitor?
At first they did, when I checked after running the car, they were dry. The ignition could are perfectly fine. I let the car warm up yesterday, without running it and it was perfectly fine. The issues only happen after driving it for a few minutes.

·
3,517 Posts
At first they did, when I checked after running the car, they were dry. The ignition could are perfectly fine. I let the car warm up yesterday, without running it and it was perfectly fine. The issues only happen after driving it for a few minutes.
Head gasket.

·
3,517 Posts
Head gasket is cheap. If you can afford that. I would say you did not have enough money to fix any car. But without checking like I said the compression, carbon dioxide in the coolant and the reluctor wheel. You are guessing and just throwing money at it.

Sorry to be blunt. Good luck walking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Head gasket is cheap. If you can afford that. I would say you did not have enough money to fix any car. But without checking like I said the compression, carbon dioxide in the coolant and the reluctor wheel. You are guessing and just throwing money at it.

Sorry to be blunt. Good luck walking.
Okay thank you, I’ll get to the compression test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I’m in need of some help. I have a 2004 Lexus IS300 and I’m getting a misfire on cylinder 1-3. I swapped our the wires and the spark plugs of the car but, i still have the same problem. The cylinders did have oil in the which cause the white smoke

History of the car, 141k mileage, I only drove it for 1k miles, 2-3 times a week and one day when i drove the car it began to over heat on me, yes it did turn off. When i got to check on the car the radiator was completely cracked from the bottom. I did drive the car home and it was completely fine till I got home and it started to feel strange.

Please help me.
You said you drove it home.
Without coolant?
If I understand that correctly, that you drove it without coolant , you now have bigger problems than a radiator.
That engine got stupid hot.
I’m suspecting a head gasket at least.
I did this myself in my younger years.
learned my lesson.
never drive without coolant. Ever, even if someone’s trying to kill you , get out and run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You said you drove it home.
Without coolant?
If I understand that correctly, that you drove it without coolant , you now have bigger problems than a radiator.
That engine got stupid hot.
I’m suspecting a head gasket at least.
I did this myself in my younger years.
learned my lesson.
never drive without coolant. Ever, even if someone’s trying to kill you , get out and run.
Oh no, I drove it home with coolant, the problem occurred while driving to work, had to park at a gas station to let the car cool down, when it did I added coolant and turned the car on, when I did I saw that the radiator had a crack which caused a leak and my engine overheating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh no, I drove it home with coolant, the problem occurred while driving to work, had to park at a gas station to let the car cool down, when it did I added coolant and turned the car on, when I did I saw that the radiator had a crack which caused a leak and my engine overheating.
Gotcha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts