Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed as I was washing my car on Sunday that my driver's side mirror seems to be 'coming apart'. I noticed that it looks like some type of string that was once under the rubber fitting on the mirror has come loose. It now kind of comes across the corners of the mirror since it is not pulled taught and under the rubber anymore.

Don't know how this happened, and now everytime I'm driving and I look out the mirror it looks almost like there's a crack in my mirror because I just see this thin black line going across. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar.. :-?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Never seen that happen before yet I am having a hard time picturing what your talking about. Any chance you could snap a few pics?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Interior Handling Expert
1,829 Posts
I have the same thing happening on my driver's side mirror too. :pissed: It looks totally f*cked up. I wanna cut the stringy thing or just pull in out but I don't know if that will mess it up. :-?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem a year ago. Took it to the dealer and they just cut away the excess string. The dealer said that it was because of too much glue used when assembling the mirror.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Don't know about string, but I think there is a film overlay on the driver's side mirror that's made to shed water. It's like a pice of window tint film. There's instructions on cleaning that cause it doesn't work well when it gets wax on it like from the car wash.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have a 2003 IS300 and the same thing happened to me. I told my dealer
about it during my 5K service and they replaced the whole mirror under
warranty.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Mine has the same exact thing on the driver's side only. mine's a 2003. I've had it since day one, but it doesn't really bother me. I pick at it with my fingernail when I get bored ... and I'm hanging out by my mirror.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts