Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automobile Magazine did a comparison between the BMW 745i, all new Audi A8, and Mercedes S500 and the A8 won.... I'll type the article for you out of the kindness of my heart.....

"Luxury car buyers are a conservative bunch, so they probably will welcome the second-generation A8 more warmly than they did th radical BMW 745i. They will hardly be affected by the latest revisions to the Mercedes Benz S-class, which address quality concerns and add the option of 4-matic all wheel drive.
Dimensionally, the three cars are very similar, although the Audi has the widest track, the largest fuel tank, and the lowest weight. It also has the lowest drag coefficient, at 0.27. The three engines are only 28 horsepower and 22 lb/ft of torque apart. The Audi V8 leads the pack with 330hp, followed by the 325hp 4.4 liter V8 from BMW, and the 302hp 5.0 liter V8 from Mercedes Benz. In the torque dept, this ranking is reversed. The 745i is swiftest to 60mph, at a claimed 5.9 seconds. The Mercedes makes the sprint ini 6.1 sec, and the Audi requires about 6.2 sec.
The A8 and 745i are fitted with six speed automatic transmissions. The S500 driver still must make due with only 5 gears, which calls for higher revs and results in rougher shifts under pressure. On the other hand, the Mercedes manual shift feature- nudging the shifter lever to the left or right while in the Drive Position- is the most convenient here.
The 7-series uses a full array of electronic trickery for its chassis, including Active Roll Stabilization and Electronic Dampining Control. The A8 offers an excellent multisetting air suspension paired with Quattro all-wheel drive. Although the S500 can be had with Mercedes Active Body Control, the system is currently incompatible with the newly available 4matic.
The 7-series isi the most entertaining of these 3 cars. It has the sweetest steering and the most balanced suspension. Although it can't muster quite the same ultimate grip as the A8, the 745i can be drivn in a beautifully progressive and rewarding manner.
But if you lack patience, the less user friendly nature of the BMW will get on your nerves. Switching off the stability control and engaging the sporty damper setting is a major procedure, and getting used to the switchgear in general- and I-drive in particular is hard work. Added to which, we aren't fond of this car's confusing center console and seat controls and itis silly keyfob-cum-starter-button combination.
The face lifted S-class has at long last closed the interior-quality gap, especially when it is equipped with the optional Designo treatment. Equipped like this, th S500 now looks and feels like the Maybach's legitimate baby brother.
After more than 1000 miles, we started adding up the pros and cons. Much as we like the way the BMW drives, the car polarizes opinion. Some of us are prepared to put up with I-drive and the funky new instrument panel, but most of us are not. We suspect BMW is having trouble persuading its older, more conservative clientel that the I-Drive setup is the best thing since beer and bratwurst. If you aree after status and resale value and don't care about honking down the canyon roads, thn the S500 maks a good case for itself. Although 4-matic sems like overkill, a major selling point of the A8 traditionally has been its Quattro system, especially in th snow-prone states.
In the end, the Audi takes the trophy because it makes the fewest mistakes. If the S-class stands for classic luxury and the 7-series exemplifies alternative luxury, then the new A8 must be synonymous with modern intelligent luxury....."

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Hahaha... "the 7-series exemplifies alternative luxury"

i.e., there's all this weird sh!t in the car, and it looks fugly.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
JW said:

Yeah, your $80,000 car is worth $35,000 after three years. That is "altenative luxury" that very few people will choose.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CRB said:
JW said:

Yeah, your $80,000 car is worth $35,000 after three years. That is "altenative luxury" that very few people will choose.
You bring up a good point.. I wonder how well the new 7-series will hold its value... Apparently since the 745i was launched, 7-series sales have increased 50%. That makes sense since it's a new model, but I'm sure that figure will decrease dramatically. The old 7 series was the sales leader in its segment throughout its production cycle (1995-2001).
Eric....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts