Lexus IS Forum banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I forgot to add that the transmission mount fell out in two pieces when I unbolted it...so that was certainly replaced and the rear diff carrier circle hockey puck shaped mounts were totally worn out and pieces were falling out. I put the figs poly mounts instead and also put in a very low mileage FRS LSD differential since my car was originally non-lsd.

I still plan to replace the engine mounts because I'm sure they are shot.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Similar journey on my 2002 5 speed, with 173k miles on the clock. Lots of neglect had to go through a full engine refresh that is doable by a DIY weekender. Timing components, clutch, and seals all around.

So far power steering works fine, a bit hard to turn could possibly use a flush.

I do regret not putting in an adjustable cam gear while I had the cam sprockets off to do the seals, and at that point I regret not also doing upgraded cams. As I also plan to NA-T the car once the suspension is all squared away.
The fluid makes a HUGE difference to the steering feel. I recommend using the Toyota type 4 transmission fluid, the same that goes into the automatic transmission. The car needs dextron type ATF. The PO on my car had filled it up with normal power steering fluid that was super dirty and the steering was SUPER stiff to the point that the car wouldn't return to center at all. I flushed the lines with ATF and replaced the power steering pump (it was whining), steering rack, and also put an inline filter to catch any junk in the lines. I noticed a significant decrease in effort to move the wheel. The car is my daily driver now. I bought another complete 2JZGE VVTI engine and auto trans for $400 from offerup that will serve as the base for my NA-T build.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How many miles do you have on your is300, and what year is it. On average or alittle better then average what would you say is a high number of miles for this car, cause from experience i know it can last for a pretty long time.
'01 Auto. Ran perfectly at 166k when I finally turbod it. Ran at 410 whp until the rings went out at 170k. Now fresh engine at 500 wheel will hopefully last forever. If I hadn't gone FI, probly woulda lasted until 300k no problem. You CANNOT beat a Toyota :grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
2004 Bluestone Metallic IS300 with 185k miles on it. I performed a lot of maintenance to catch up where the previous owner had let it degrade a bit....

Engine: timing belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seal, VVTI gear seal, VC gaskets, tensioner, serpentine belt, radiator hoses, spark plugs and wires, TPS sensor, MAF sensor, custom oil filter relocation setup, power steering pump (Thanks PO for using the wrong fluid)

Drivetrain: drilled/slotted brake rotors and pads, front lower control arms #1 & #2 , front lower ball joints, eibach sway bars,new rack and pinion with tie rod ends and a PS filter installed

Body: Replaced the HVAC mode selector solenoid, installed a double din deck with a backup camera, aftermarket halo projector headlights, aftermarket LED tail lights

It's been a journey over the last 6 months to get it to where it is now, but it's rock solid and runs like a car with less than 100k miles on it and doesn't leak any fluids. I do thank the previous owner for installing F&F coilovers because that's one thing I didn't have to replace. I love driving this car and always wanted one when I was younger but couldn't afford it....my only regret at this point is not putting a new head gasket on it when I had it torn apart to do the timing belt and valve cover gaskets. It doesn't leak but I do plan to eventually run NA-T
I just replaced the bushing on my passenger lower control arm. Why didn't you just do that? They're $12 on Amazon rather than $50+ for the whole arm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought an 05 auto with 140k a month or so ago. I'm jealous of all these people with such low miles. I spent forever trying to find one with low miles that wasn't an insane price. Just wish the previous owners took better care of the car. I'm wondering if it's still worth saving or not.

221 - 233 of 233 Posts