Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Peter... would you please STFU. You sound like some goober who does the rebuttal on the Jerry Springer Show.
I think that's the problem with society.. kids are just "handed" stuff. Thats my point. Please save your circle of life speech for Rich Kids Anonymous.

·
Registered
123 Posts
By the way, we are all just talking about a car right? Sky, if you want it, get it. Why would you give a sh*t what anyone in here thinks?

Same to you Peter. You got the rides, obviously got a bankroll, so why care what anyone else says, including me?

This goes out to everyone: who cares how you got the car? You drive it, its yours. I don't care if you're 16 or 60. This is an is300.net forum, not iboughtmyownis300.net forum.
And I agree with you BDR about the problem with today's kids. There was an excellent article in TIME about a month ago about the exact same topic.

Late

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: DaBrick ]

·
Registered
40 Posts
What IS wrong with today's kids? just because a kid today can make ton of money out of nothing (writing codes) does that mean we're all jacked up? Why don't you elaborate on the excellent article you read in Times? Just saying 'Yeah that's what's wrong with today's kids' does not give me a clear understanding of you're arguement. Why should i NOT care about what other people say? just because i am well off does not mean i do not have feelings or take insults from inferiors and just disregard it. You guys made comments. Very annoying comments like 'you should drive a '85 crap car' or 'you're just going to wrap it around a tree.' That to me is, albeit slightly humourous, far and foremost bitter sounding. You guys are bashing this Sky kid and telling him what a snob he is blahblah. You guys don't even know him and you're wishing him fatal accidents? Shows what a compassionate human being you are. And also mr. BigDaddyRich (what does that mean? you got a rich sugar daddy? if so you should stfu yourself you POS) How does my post sound like a Jerry Springer rebuttal? All they say is 'You're nothing but a whore!' and lame white trash remarks like that. While I pointed out the points, if taken seriously, will create a family far superior than one that just throws the son out and say 'Make your own money and buy you're own car.' Your attempt to degrade my remarks to the level of a Jerry Springer show is quite laughable. It's like comparing apples to rotten oranges.
My comments are all made based on experience and observation within my own family and couple of my friends. If you are reading this and pondering whether you should get your son that expensive yet affordable (within your budget) car, sit him down, talk to him about school and college and your expectations from him. Then surprise him with an offer such as buying him that car of his dreams and have him promise you high grades in college and not to mess with alcohol or drugs. Your son will be grateful and will love you forever. Not to mention he won't stuff you in a retirement home later on in life.
On the other hand, you can say "No! you spoiled brat! I had to blahblahbalhbal earn my car when i was young i drove a pile of junk with three wheels naked...." all you will create is hostility and resentment within the teenager. He will constantly be thinking and wishing he had a car and resent you for being able to afford it yet miserly enough to deny his request. While his friends drive around nice rides he will be stuck with that 85 pile of junk, and his self confidence and desire to study will turn into a desire to get a low paying job and working like mad while going through school, resulting in additional semesters of expensive collge tuition and poor performance.
If you choose to ignore what I just spent 10 minutes of my busy life to type out, then you are already too far gone. You have chose to believe your way is the right way and your discipline is the best way to achieve success in life. But if you are still listening, know the rewards of this method is exponentially greater than the other route. For example, my two cousins studying in Japan both received Astra Opel's as gifts. They went through 6 years of medical school in top colleges without worries. Now they are both doctors earning large sums of money. Enough to buy their parents a BMW (mom) and a Skyline (dad). My brother, a graduate of Johns Hopskin, received his Volvo S80 T6 ($45,000), and completed his four year college on time and with honors. Now he works for a great company receiving $80/hour (120/hour overtime). Being accustomed to work he pumps 60+ hours. Raking in 5-6k per week. Just a month ago he bought himself his dream ride, a Sapphire Blue SLK 320, and immediately put in a good 8k of aftermarket option. This winter he is going to take my Dad on a trip to Egypt, which I am also coming along. He has made it big time, thanks to my Dad. Now it's my turn. I am focusing on a CS and a minor in business. I asked

·
Registered
170 Posts
His fingers has to be cramped up after that one!
Anyway, why is this such a big deal? Who cares how everyone got there IS? We all got one or is getting one right? So lets just be happy with that and discuss the car. Whether the kid appreciates the car or not isn't helping or harming any of us. So let Sky do his thing and lets do ours!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Peter, Peter, Peter, you are what is wrong with society. You sound like you have drive. That is good and you will probably be a financial success in life. However, pampering kids is not the key. Being there friends is not the key. Giving them everything they want is not the key. You are young enough that you don't remember a time when there wasn't as much crime, young adults had respect for their elders and you could say hello to someone you passed on the streets. I have my own thoughts on the subject. You want to here them here they go..................................................................................................every once in while you know what a kid needs? His/Her ass whipped! Somewhere along the line someone went to college and learned how to raise kids when people had been doing it from the beginning of time. They came of with all kinds of crap instead of sparing not the rod! In my opinion that is when our society started a downward spiral. I don't mean someone should abuse their children but you shouldn't accomodate their every desire. I came here to read about cars and here you are disrespecting people because you have money. You are wrong for that. Everyone has their own situation in life and if you are more fortunate do not preach to people you don't know because from the sound of your post you didn't make that money. You were born into that money. Does that make you the expert on making it big in life? You should feel bad for talking down to people like that.
I also agree with the other post that said why should someone care if you get a blue, black or purple IS.
Peter, Peter, Peter

·
Registered
458 Posts
Peter,
You strike me as being very intelligent and I agree with a lot of what you wrote, however, you show your aage and your immaturity in some of the things you say. I wrote earlier that I come from an upper middle class family. My wife and I both went to College she is a Microbiologist for a Pharmaceutical Co. I work for a contract Engineering Agency, we both make roughly 40k a year or 80k combined. We are raising a son and he is coming along very well. I hope that eventually he will make 100k + a year. Your comments about 60k and struggling to pay bills and buying cars we can't afford is very condecsending and makes you seem ignorant. Not everyone who has money has come from money. I don't consider myself to be any less of a value to the world or any less intelligent. I am working my way up to the top, but I wasn't fortunate enough to be born into money. My Parents gave me all the tools I need to succeed and I hope my son is able to go one step further so he will be able to give his children what your parents are able to give you. But to make people who didn't get the same start you did feel that they are "inferior" is just as ignorant as someone giving you heat for having come from money. I hope you understand what I am saying and that it doesn't offend you. I only write it because in general you seem like a good guy who still has some things to learn but is well on the way!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Again you mistake the word NEED for WANT. You seem bright, articulate, and knowledgable. Why is this so hard to comprehend for you? All a child needs is food, water, shelter, love and some clothes. Everything else is a negotiation and each child/family is different. Just because it worked for your folks doesn't mean it will work for all. Menendez brothers ring a bell?

The article in TIME was published 7/29/01 and called "Who's in charge now?" I already read it and ain't payin 3 bucks to post the link. Read it and then we can discuss/debate it.

And I didn't mean that you shouldn't care what people close to you think. But to care what I think, a working class nobody, or others that don't know you is assassine. Dude, if you are gonna stand on a pedestal and spew high-society rites of passage, then be prepared to be cast out and knocked down. This is an absolute in our society. The old saying "people mock what they don't know" applies.

BTW, I am 26, how old are y'all?

Late

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: DaBrick ]

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: DaBrick ]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by Peter:
just because i am well off does not mean i do not have feelings or take insults from inferiors and just disregard it.
Boy could I rip your whole post apart, but that quote is a gem. So you consider differing opinions from yours insulting and from INFERIORS? That says it all. Realize, my friend, that you are in the EXTREME minority when you spout the amount of money you and you relatives/friends have (assuming any of it is true). Learning respect for others is obviously going to be very difficult for you, if you continue to talk down to people like that. I live a comfortable life myself, but NEVER disrespect anyone. Get a clue, kid. Maturity is still unreachable for you. Maybe later....WAY later.

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: Spoiler ]

·
Registered
362 Posts
Originally posted by LXS4Ross:
Yep, I really think you need to have a few 1970's/1980's beater cars before you can truly appreciate a car of this stature at a young age
On paper this makes good sense. When my dad first came to america he bought his first car for $200. Then he went to technical school because the thing broke down on him so much that he wanted to be able to fix it himself. But to him, my two sisters and I are all his baby girls and he wants us to have nice new cars because he doesn't want to ever worry about our cars breaking down on us in the middle of nowhere (he's had plenty of firsthand experiences of that). My parents are very protective and paranoid about things like that. I drove the civic for 5 years, and the one time when I had an engine problem it was 11:00 at night and of course it would happen in the crappy part of town. I sat terrified in my car, my finger on the emergeny 911 button on my cell phone until my fiance and my dad arrived to pick me up. I think the point I'm trying to make is that there are other reasons for wanting your kids to have nice cars as well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
someone in this post said something about this not being a forum where we pick on rich kids...this should be a forum about our cars (or future cars) and the stuff we do to them, the things we do w/ them, and how much we love them, not trying to teach ppl how to live their lives or to teach parents how to parent their children, is that any of our jobs? let the parents take care of it and lets talk about the IS300!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by Spoiler:
Boy could I rip your whole post apart, but that quote is a gem. So you consider differing opinions from yours insulting and from INFERIORS? That says it all. Realize, my friend, that you are in the EXTREME minority when you spout the amount of money you and you relatives/friends have (assuming any of it is true). Learning respect for others is obviously going to be very difficult for you, if you continue to talk down to people like that. I live a comfortable life myself, but NEVER disrespect anyone. Get a clue, kid. Maturity is still unreachable for you. Maybe later....WAY later.

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: Spoiler ]
You obviously only read until that part. By just calling me immature and kid and saying you "NEVER disrespected anyone," you have already disrespected me and stripped yourself of any creditibility you may have had in my mind. However, if you consider yourself an expert at ripping other people's post apart and nitpicking, go ahead. I can back up my points and help you understand where I am coming from. However, like I have previously stated, "If you choose to ignore what I just spent 10 minutes of my busy life to type out, then you are already too far gone. You have chose to believe your way is the right way and your discipline is the best way to achieve success in life." You are obvious in that group so I will not waste any more of my breath on you. At the age of 41, Spoiler, I think you will agree you have no interest in hearing what a 20 year old has to say. You consider it ludicrous a 20 year old can have more farsight than you right? That is fine. I have no intention of changing a stubborn man. Like they say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

For all the other people who have read the post thoroughly, thanks for your time and hope you consider my school of thought. Although very slight spanking has been scientifically proven not harmful in the long run, words of encouragement, love, and understanding of your son will go alot further than what a poster suggested, "what kids today need is a good spanking." Just like teaching a puppy to sit and shake hands, treats will always persevere over beating.
Well, like someone said, lets talk about IS300. Anyways, my time at IS300.net is up. I negotiated a deal for the CLK 430 cabriolet black with ash interior today at Rusnak. When the car is available I will take it to a nice benz modifying place north of USC across from LA Downtown Motor called RBTECH. A full Lorinser kit will be installed along with 19'' Chrome wheels (i love shiny things). The IS, while a great car, is just not right for me. I especially feel cheated because the Longo Lexus neglected to inform me 2002 model was due out in about a month after my purchase, and I bought an older model without side curtain airbag, complete leather (i hate the escaine feel), a real handrest to the right of the driver side, a less rice backlight, stiffer chasis, and shinier wheels. Oh, and the MANUAL thing. One more thing
the black onyx was just too much of a pain to wash every four days. THe thing gets dirty before it hits the garage. And the two stripes of water marks that results in driving after washing is slightly irritating to remove. I am actually going to publish my theory on parenting sometime in the next three years after more observation and data gathering. Going to publish through my Dad's publishing company. If you ever see it, pick it up and read some of it
I promise you it's not total BS I am spewing out, but a good, solid way of raising a new generation of kids that will be more successful in life, reach full potential, and demonstrate a greater degree of filial piety toward his parents.
Well, nothing more to be said. Bickering on a forum, although in some forms a relaxation from the monotony of

·
Registered
39 Posts
peter, you talk like my friend peter, who thinks he's everything when he's nothing but a arrogant snob.. at least the peter i knew had more reasons to be a snob than you, he's going to ucb double majoring eecs & bio eng.

anyways, sorry to burst ur bubble. when you come out of usc cs major, all u'r ever going to be is a common programmer w/ high average wage.. sad.. just imagine, in ten years, when china floods us market w/ their programmers like the way india & taiwan flooded silicon valley w/ engineers, those chinese progammers probably drive down your wages even lower, by that time, you won't be different like rest of us..

as for your theory 'bout buying kids nice cars, well it's not true. my sister who goes to stanford is still driving that beat-up 95 camery (beatup thanks to me), and she is not any less grateful to my parents than i am, for they properly guided my sister to stanford. on the otherhard, the utter failure of the family, me, who's going to ucd, get the new lexus. even thou my sister is deprived, she doesn't show any resentment towards me nor my parents..

yea, i admit i'm spoiled.. from time to time, i actually hoped that i would get the camery instead of lexus. that way there's less pressures and fewer expectations for me to perform well. cuz i rather be free from those burdens and live the way that i want to be..

i'm gald i don't have the mad incentives to do well and to be superior than anyone else like you, cuz i rather have the ability to realize that i am neither better nor worse than anyone else..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by Peter:
You obviously only read until that part. By just calling me immature and kid and saying you "NEVER disrespected anyone," you have already disrespected me and stripped yourself of any creditibility you may have had in my mind. However, if you consider yourself an expert at ripping other people's post apart and nitpicking, go ahead. I can back up my points and help you understand where I am coming from. However, like I have previously stated, "If you choose to ignore what I just spent 10 minutes of my busy life to type out, then you are already too far gone. You have chose to believe your way is the right way and your discipline is the best way to achieve success in life." You are obvious in that group so I will not waste any more of my breath on you. At the age of 41, Spoiler, I think you will agree you have no interest in hearing what a 20 year old has to say. You consider it ludicrous a 20 year old can have more farsight than you right? That is fine. I have no intention of changing a stubborn man. Like they say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."
I'll make this as short as possible because it's apparent I'm wasting my time bantering with someone who is more stubborn than I'll ever be, and because believe it or not my time is as precious as yours. You totally ignore the essence of my post by attempting to sidetrack to non-issues. You're not fooling me. Don't minimize my point by calling it "nitpicking". That's typical of your behavior online.

I did read your whole lengthy post, and as far as I and other people in this thread are concerned it all centers around what I quoted from you in terms of others being INFERIOR. Do you understand? That is the core of the type of person you are, Peter. I see through it, and so do others trying to get through to you here.

You have a warped sense of what disrespecting someone truly is, especially in terms of what you dish out. I've seen you post INCREDIBLY scathing, rude, childlike, and uncalled for insults in other threads on this board. Especially to one gentleman because of his age. The evidence is there for all to see. So, you see, your opinion of MY credibility means nothing to me, considering how you treat others(or shall I say, "inferiors"). I have no problem by the way with anyone's "farsight" regardless of age, assuming the source is believable and respectable. From your posts, you do not qualify.

You ARE immature my friend, because what you post says you are. You just have too much of a high and mighty approach to realize it (along with your lack of life experience). You are intelligent, but guess what, so am I. Intelligence has little to do with common sense and respect. Hell, even Ted Bundy was a near genius.

In light of that, do you actually think anyone here would be even slightly interested in ANYTHING you wrote regarding theory of parenting?? Are you kidding me?

Try starting fresh somewhere else on the net cause it ain't workin here. Oh, and make sure you don't let any "inferiors" know about your new, shiny, cool, expensive stuff you're getting at 20. You wouldn't want to hurt their feelings, would you?

Spoiler

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: Spoiler ]

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would say Honda Civic, Honda Accord coupe, Acura RSX, Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, Mazda MP3, Subaru Impreza WRX are all good for you in my opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
hey, peter my parents just got an CLK430 Cab. AMG Package it Kicks ass Very smooth, but my dad won't let me drive it. Its Silver by the way.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.