Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Enough you morons. I think this is the most over-discussed matter on the forums. Its annoying. We all know the people that dont like the idea of a young person being given a nice car will bitch about it every time this subject comes up. STFU already. We know that its better to work something instead of taking it for free. If you earn things yourself then good for you, no need to put someone down or try to preach when someone else gets something given to them. You all dont have something better to do? I can find at least 200 posts on this subject that all say the same thing. hush

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Dark, sorry to bore you with our opinions.. please don't be insulting while expressing yours. You are simply adding fuel to the fire with condascending posts like that. Cool it yourself.

I'm done with this thread.

Spoiler

·
Registered
123 Posts
Y'all need to relax. Why are you bitching at the kid for? It's his parents' fault, not his.

And kid, if I were you, I'd drive the 4-runner thru college, invest the 34k your pop's would have spent on the IS in a money market fund, then graduate college and either buy a phat car with the money or a nice house/condo. In time, this will all make sense.

Chances are you will total the IS in college. I wrecked two cars in 4 yrs at Michigan State....

BTW, I am 26 and bought my IS outright.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Sky... you not gonna get any respect or sympathy on this board if you keep going on and on and on about how hard ur daddy's life was and how he buying you a graduation present. So save ur sob story. If you man enough, buy ur own, or just keep it to ur self. To make a long story short... I was very happy at 17 with my very used, 86 Audi 5000 CS Turbo. Im DONE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
first of all i wont wreck my car like u twice. Second its not my parents fault peoplewith money tend to buy there kids cars what can u do. pluse mu 4runner is leased and he wants to give it up. And wen it comes to selling stuff my dad never sells thing just gives em away to his workers. Once im out of college i should be making at least 70k a year or a little less hopefully.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i think most of the ppl on this board are right. my dad bought me an is two month ago. at first i thought i would be as happy as hell when i get the car, and i so anxious to get it too. it took my dealer 8 weeks to deliver the car & every one of those days added excitements, expectations, and stress (cuz i wanted the car so badly).

but, on the delivery day, when i saw "my" shiny new car sitting on the lexus dealership driveway.. everything changed, i no longer feel excited 'bout the car, and itz not because i suddenly stopped liking the is.. but i think itz because i recognized that the silver car sitting on the lexus lot is not truly mine..

i guess that's the difference in feelings you get when something is given to you & something you truly earned.

funny, whenever ppl ask 'bout my car, i never could say out right that "i own that is", or "oh, that is is mine".. cuz in the back of my mind, the car never felt like itz mine. i wonder if any other ppl share the same feelings?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nope I don't get that feeling, every time I walk out to the car with the keys in my hand I get all excited and tingly feeling. I LOVE the car, I love just driving it, washing it, looking at it. To me, it's mine. And I don't feel guilty about having my parents buy me the IS. They had saved up their money for me to go to college, and then I ended up getting a full scholarship anyways after working my ass off in highschool. So they took part of the money and got me a honda civic, and saved and invested the rest. Now, 4 years later they took the money and got me the lexus. My mom always told me that if I got accepted into medical school she would get me a beemer, I just decided to get something a little better instead. ;>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I love how people car how you spell in forums
. Also I won't wreck my car, don't hate rich kids, because we have money

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Sky15 ]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Sky don't sweat it. Because if my parents were able to afford that kind of car for me at your age, I'd be lying if I sat here and said that I wouldn't take it. So go for yours kid!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I went to a very very rich high school, and you wont belive the cars some of these kids get at 16, M3, one kid a couple years back actually got an 850Ci as his first car...i guess the fact is that rich kids get rich cars, and we could argue this day and night but the kids are still going to get the nice cars and everyone is going to be opinionated on the subject...just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here you go my .02
I am 29, came form an upper middle class family, my first was car bought by my parents in 1989, was a 68 Ford Mustang that had no front end! It took me an entire year to rebuilt that car. When it was done I Hated it! kept it for less than a year! I worked my ass off on fixing that car, spent all my money on bumpers, head light assemblies everything. I definately earned that piece of crap and HATED it. I am not saying that I didn't learn anything from it, however just because you earn something doesn't necessarily make you appreciate it. I learned that somethings are not worth what you might initially think they are, I thought that car would be sooo cool. I don't think any 17yr. old should be driving a 35k car as their first ride, but if $$ isn't an issue ? ? ? I am saving my but off now to get my IS and probably won't have the cake togethor for awhile, that's what happens when you earn things. I have earned a mortgage, 401K, Student Loans, blah blah blah blah blah. If my parents were to give me an IS today I would say thanks but no thanks and wait until I can buy it myself, but I don't think that would teach any valuable life's lesson. I believe you learn things like that in your own way and can't really slam anyone becuase their family is rich! That to me just sounds like envy and jealousy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love it! I don't hate rich kids I envy them! I wish my dad had a company and I could have had a Lexus at 17!!

More power to you Sky and run that business like you mean it. Next stop for you is Ferrari!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Daaaayam some of these folks are bitter..
sky don't worry my poor friends bag on me all the time too 'u didn't earn it~ balhbalhba'
you guys know why the rich get richer? because the rich provide their children with EVERYTHING they need. All the child need to do is to succeed at EVERYTHING: school, extracurricular activity, sports, SAT. Go into college and graduate with top scores. And the cycle repeats. The rich kid does not need to worry whether he will be hungry tonight, or whether he will have enough money to pay the rent. The rich kid takes the IS 300, says thanks, goes on with life, graduate, make the big bucks, continue the family tradition, buys Ferrari. Someone wrote "if you have a 35k car now what do you look forward to when you graduate?" that to me is just funny how 35k is high as the sky, the limit. Stop baggin on Sky and he won't wrap his car around a tree like some idiots here. Not everyone total their car morons.. All the hating just shows you're some bitter guy in his late 20's making only 60k and year and majority of that money goes to bills and you're drivin a car that you can't really afford and you're jealous when some richer kid comes along and all you can do is bitch and nag and pray that he wraps his car around a tree.. notice his name is sky... not racerSLS or some dumb loserly name... ahhhhrghhh bitter people piss me off.

·
11,061 Posts
I dunno. Seems to me every parent wants to do the best for their children that they can. If I were a parent and my son or daughter wasn't an incorrigible brat or criminal and got decent grades in school, I would try to furnish a nice car for him or her IF I could AFFORD it. However, any shennigans and/or mess ups with school work and there would be some discipline forthcoming...up to and including parking the car and/or selling it. Some families have more funds than others. The purchase price of an IS doesn't represent a huge outlay to some people. It would have been unthinkable for my family to be able to buy a new car for me when I was a teenager. I was grateful for the 1968 Renault R10 I got in 1974 when I was in high school. It was the best my folks could do and I knew it. It ran fine and was dependable. Had it all the way through college.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Originally posted by SeattleSheila:
I was grateful for the 1968 Renault R10 I got in 1974 when I was in high school. It was the best my folks could do and I knew it. It ran fine and was dependable. Had it all the way through college.
Yep, I really think you need to have a few 1970's/1980's beater cars before you can truly appreciate a car of this stature at a young age. My first car had no radio, no heat or A/C....Nothing! Just four wheels and a 1600 cc engine. I did just fine through high school. To be honest, I don't think I would want the car I have now back in school (if that makes any sense). For one, I could imagine the sh*t I would take, and it seems it would just be a big responsibilty.

Also, being in my early 20's, I sometimes think I may have got this car too soon. I mean, when I want to upgrage in a few years..what do I look at?? I can't see myself buying an Audi A8 or LS430 at the age of 25. Food for thought

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Originally posted by SilverLex:
Talk to Boyie - He'll tell you how to manipulate your father to not only buy you a 35K Lex, but how you can get him to do it yearly!
i think all he did was complain and throw a fit like a bitch

·
Registered
123 Posts
Originally posted by Peter:
Daaaayam some of these folks are bitter..
sky don't worry my poor friends bag on me all the time too 'u didn't earn it~ balhbalhba'
you guys know why the rich get richer? because the rich provide their children with EVERYTHING they need. All the child need to do is to succeed at EVERYTHING: school, extracurricular activity, sports, SAT. Go into college and graduate with top scores. And the cycle repeats. The rich kid does not need to worry whether he will be hungry tonight, or whether he will have enough money to pay the rent. The rich kid takes the IS 300, says thanks, goes on with life, graduate, make the big bucks, continue the family tradition, buys Ferrari. Someone wrote "if you have a 35k car now what do you look forward to when you graduate?" that to me is just funny how 35k is high as the sky, the limit. Stop baggin on Sky and he won't wrap his car around a tree like some idiots here. Not everyone total their car morons.. All the hating just shows you're some bitter guy in his late 20's making only 60k and year and majority of that money goes to bills and you're drivin a car that you can't really afford and you're jealous when some richer kid comes along and all you can do is bitch and nag and pray that he wraps his car around a tree.. notice his name is sky... not racerSLS or some dumb loserly name... ahhhhrghhh bitter people piss me off.
You seem a little bitter yourself there Petey...

Some points to consider:

1. ANY parent should provide their child with everything they need to get going in life. If you can't, you shouldn't have children. The mistake you make here is substituting a NEED for a WANT. I assume you know the difference.

2. Just because you have money doesn't necessarily mean you will succeed in life. Granted it helps but it isn't a necessity. For every rich kid you can name who is doing well I could name one that isn't.

3. You can live very well on 60k a year. A lot of families in America never see that kind of money in their lifetimes/year. The way you mock it just makes me laugh. The condescending tone is typical throughout your post.

Sorry have to run. Want to get to welfare office before the line starts....love that g'ment cheese baby!! The cycle repeats...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.