Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had my license suspended for having 2 moving violations in 2 years under 18 years old... Today in the mail i got a notice of my suspension being lengthened another 3 months. this was due to them finally convicting me of my 3rd ticket, 5 months after the fact. This suspension would be for having 3 moving violations in 1 year.

I have talked to a few people and they said that they cannot legally do that without calling you into court first.

This is in no way fair to me because of the following reasons:

1.) I didn't apply for restricted driving rights to drive to school and work because the appeal process takes 10 weeks and the suspension period was 12 weeks. Now that the lengthened it I'm in the same boat so i cannot work or drive myself to school for another 3 months.

2.) I knew there was three tickets on my record but when i went to the courthouse originally they said to not even bother with taking traffic school to remove the third offense because my license was already being suspended. So they gave me false information at the time.

My mom talked to a friend of hers who is a general attorney and he said the best he can do is try and get the one ticket overturned because it is only a minor offense and it is the only offense on my record for that particular county.

My question to all of you is first of all do u have any experience with this, second off is there anyway you could ask some of your lawyers this question and see what they have to say about and third possibly give me some numbers of good traffic offense attorneys.

If all the opinions i get are the same i am just going to use my moms friend as he said he will do it for free.... thanks for ur time guys the help will be much appreciated

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they can absolutely do that. Effed up as it may be, if they have a law stating that you get a 3-month suspension for having 3 tickets in a year while under 18, then you're screwed. :(

Sorry about your luck man, that sucks. As your mom's lawyer friend said, the best you can do is hope to get one of the 3 tickets overturned... If you can do that, you're no longer in that 3 tickets law, so you can get your license back after the initial 12 weeks you had to serve are up.

Considering, however, your age and the number of violations, I would say that your chances of getting a ticket overturned are slim-to-none. Your best bet may be to just apply for the restricted driving rights now, and keep the driving cool... If you get a ticket under restricted driving rights, you're pretty screwed. Good luck, though man, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2 words!

DRIVING SCHOOL :)
and KISS ASS!!

im 20 and have only lived in IL for about 1 and a half years now and im on my 5th ticket and 3rd session of 8 hour driving school that im going to attend november 3rd

and so far i have no record according to the Illinois state traffic department :D

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
You're basically screwed. Trust me. In the future you need to fight for traffic school (i've had 8 4-hour schools, 3 8-hour schools, 62 tix to date, see the $1000 ticket thread in the PL for pics of most of the tix).

For now, here's what you do.

Write a letter directly to the secretary of state, tell them what you have learned and what you intend to do to become a better driver and an example to fellow motorists. Mine was 2 pages long, I wrote a book on how not having a license affected me, and how i relaized how important being responsible for my actions on the road are.

Then, you go to the DMW that has an informal hearing officer (he's the guy who petitions for restricted permits), allow him to read it if he chooses, and work him as well.

You do NOT need a lawyer for this, parents may help (especially if they make it clear you have been disciplined, and are disappointed in your actions).

Have the officer send the letter with his recommendation, and wait. You will most likely get a restricted permit to help until your suspension is up.

DO NOT get a DWLP, you will be in a world of shit then, as well as have a hard time getting insurance.

If you do need an attorney, my guy is the best around, PM me over at isfanatics.com, I'll send you his contact info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts