Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently my set up is MB Quart 6.5 kick panels and a MB Quart 10, stock rears.

My question is should I add another 6.5 in the door panel for mid bass? Will it make that much more of a difference? I want to do the MB quart mid bass but they are now discontined and hard to find, should I be using the same brand? I know MB Quart makes a mid bass add on kit but I was wondering if I could just get a any 6.5 and use the cross over on the amp?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
You could move your midrange to your kick panel (make a set) and then put the midbass drivers in the doors. I would stay with the same brand, as they tend to blend better. Good luck with your endeavor.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
If you cannot find a matching set of speakers then I would leave well enough alone or replace the front stage. You may want to Email Maxxsonics(parent company of HiFonics) as they purchased MB Quartz and now run them. They may be able to find you a set of speakers, but I doubt it.

If you add another set for mid-bass only to your current setup, I would hand build the x-over with at least a 12db unit. I assume that you have a component set in the kicks right now. Even if you hace coaxials you can still use this method.
Assuming that you amp is a 2 ohm stereo stable amp, simply add the extra mid bass dedicated drivers in line with a crossover. If you want just mid-bass improvement, I would run the new 6.5" woofer from 60-70hz to around 300-350hz tops. With these in line, the amp will see a 2 ohm load from the 60-70 hz to the roll off of the x-over on the new set. You will now get more out of you amp divided to the 2 drivers and the mid-bass will improve dramatically, while the remaining system will stay the way it is now.

If you need help with what parts are needed to make the x-over, just drop me a line.

P.S.
If you are running the same channels on the amp, you cannot just use the amps built in x-over as all speakers on that channel will be affected.

Reactions: TRM3

·
Registered
150 Posts
method 2: the advance way
Get a 6 channel amp, and run an active setup, having each speaker on it's on channel on the amp and ditching any crossovers. But then you will need some sort of method to set the correct crossovers whether it be from an aftermarket headunit or equalizer. But it will provide a higher potential of better system when it is properly tuned and set.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
af22 said:
method 2: the advance way
Get a 6 channel amp, and run an active setup, having each speaker on it's on channel on the amp and ditching any crossovers. But then you will need some sort of method to set the correct crossovers whether it be from an aftermarket headunit or equalizer. But it will provide a higher potential of better system when it is properly tuned and set.

This method would also work, but I find it to be a big waste of amplifier power. Todays market and to the most part all newer installers simply say add channels. Maybe I am still old school, but why use a 6 channel amp when a 2 channel amp can run the whole system if needed. I remember the days of 12 or more speakers off a simple 45*2 amplifier and they played as loud as these multi-amp systems of today. Amplifiers waste energy in enormous amounts, so try to extract the most out of the least as much as possible. Electronic cross-overs over a great benefit, but at the same time for something simple like mid-bass improvement, they are a waste as you can acheive equal results for less $ with a passive cross-over.

Did not mean to thread jack, just trying to share a point of view.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
lisnup65 said:
This method would also work, but I find it to be a big waste of amplifier power. Todays market and to the most part all newer installers simply say add channels. Maybe I am still old school, but why use a 6 channel amp when a 2 channel amp can run the whole system if needed. I remember the days of 12 or more speakers off a simple 45*2 amplifier and they played as loud as these multi-amp systems of today. Amplifiers waste energy in enormous amounts, so try to extract the most out of the least as much as possible. Electronic cross-overs over a great benefit, but at the same time for something simple like mid-bass improvement, they are a waste as you can acheive equal results for less $ with a passive cross-over.

Did not mean to thread jack, just trying to share a point of view.
I agree wit you all the way Dave...

Use all the power your amps offer you and make the most of it..

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts