Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped my brother scout out a used Dodge Rampage for a project that he'd found listed on Turbo-Dodge... the route we took up to the seller was an incredible journey through some of the craziest, most technical roads I've seen outside a video game! So many tight and sweeping twisty roads, bluffs and great views of the mountains; and we were in a damn Yaris! We both agreed that a trip back needed to happen with better wheels under us!

I've chatted briefly with the denizens of another car-centric forum regarding an end-of-summer run as well. It's kinda out there, but the condition of the roads, beautiful scenery, and remote locations should provide ample opportunity to snap pictures and enjoy our cars for what they were made for!

JULY20th is the date for this cruisin'-g2g. A friend of mine is also helping with planning, staging, and 'marketing'... he's a moderator for the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association (MACA). Those guys are the ones responsible for a burgeoning car show scene in the Gaithersburg, MD area, and they come out in-force! They may be distracted by Supercars On State Street close by in Harrisburg, PA; so confirmed attendance isn't high at all (c'est la vie! Their loss). Depending on how this run goes there will be another run in mid-September... plenty of time to look through (and drool over) the stills and GoPro footage I'll be collecting. I'm meeting members from NJ, NY, and a couple of guys local to the Pottsville area for this... PM me for lodging info.

How's about some pics to whet the appetite?!?!

If anyone has any question; please don't hesitate to get at me with 'em!!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That looks like the valley roads I used to run on my cbr, also where lots of people went in the teen days. Around me it's mostly pa and alittle de and Maryland

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like the valley roads I used to run on my cbr, also where lots of people went in the teen days. Around me it's mostly pa and alittle de and Maryland
I noticed a pretty good sized group of guys with road bikes last time I was up there; "Blazing The Twisties" club on YouTube has a few videos up... I found that after curiosity got the best of me later in the day.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you google satin house Delaware that's the area I always entered at. They keep that road blocked now but 10 years ago it was a tempting attraction for all to see its a cult house.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So can you be more specific about the details of this? Sounds like a major event. How many cars/clubs? How long will this last (ie what is the start and stop time), where will it begin, will there be any driving up together? etc.
Lodging should be procured in Pine Grove, PA (if you can get a room still!). That puts the official start 10mins away. I'm driving up with a friend, who's piloting my 2nd car, and from Westminster it's a 2.5-3hr drive... TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY WORTH IT; I ASSURE YOU!!!

The roads are very challenging at some points, and gorgeous the entire route! Hence my need for a closer HQ than 3hrs. I'll give out my cell number through PM if you're truly interested in joining and/or driving up. Maps will be printed this week and distributed to the folks that show up Saturday morning. I'll also be able to email the googleMap route, too. I do ask that you keep any specifics real close to the vest, as I don't want a bunch of yahoo-hoonigans getting there ahead of us and ruining the local attitude towards us!
There is already a following of motorcycle enthusiasts that have a smaller route of their own; we only share 30 miles with them. Despite the denizens of the area being accustomed to the presence of motoring enthusiasts, there are a few houses and one or two small towns and parks we will be passing: good behavior should be at the forefront of your thoughts!

Start-time will be 9-9:30am Saturday the 20th to give time to wake up (and not disturb locals). We'll run as many times as you want!
Sunday after check-out I'm taking a few people around with a club-member that's local to Pottsville for photo-ops and a picnic/cookout. So it should be a pretty, and busy weekend!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're trying to drive up and get a hotel/motel room for Friday; I'll be caravanning with my friend driving my other car from rt27 in Westminster about 6pm. The back roads put us out on I83 in York, PA in 40 minutes... then up 83 & 81 for a while!

If you can't make it this time; I'll be dropping all the photos and video links up here after it's all said and done!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it appears Ma Nature doesn't like the plan I set up; the weather looks to be spotty, punctuated by thunderstorms and a possible isolated tornado!

What to do, chaps? There's only tonite to back out of the reservations... so chime in if you're in on the trip!

I found out from the cancellation post "Supercars On State Street" was linked to on FB.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some of the route was chip 'n' tar which wasn't there last time I was up there, so we naturally spaced our group to avoid chipping... 3M bra would've been awesome! This was the 4th time I've really used my camera, too.

My friend was gonna take my IS up along side; but had to drop out. With the met. red hatch up-for-sale I decided to take it out for one last hurrah.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Nice. Need to see more IS's.

I was driving to my powder-coater in Boonsboro (not that far from you) the other day. Seeing the sun and the nice green trees was enough to pull me out of all the Internet negativity I read every day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice. Need to see more IS's.

I was driving to my powder-coater in Boonsboro (not that far from you) the other day. Seeing the sun and the nice green trees was enough to pull me out of all the Internet negativity I read every day.
I totally agree. The low overhang from the tires would've made them an excellent choice & the power would've been too fun! My one friend that was going to drive mine had to back out; the guy in the Saab (LTI classmate & friend) took his bunk... He bought that bucket for $500 two days before driving up to flog the hell out of it! The Chip 'n' Tar sections should be better every time I go back as the gravel will get pushed-in or scattered.

People were PISSED that Supercars On State Street was called on account of heavy rain... we were about 30 minutes from downtown Harrisburg and it tried raining for twenty minutes before getting GORGEOUS! Although in the hills like we were; they may have hit a different part of the system.

My buddy in the Saab is a quiet dude, that's not much of a talker or "smile-er"; but you can't NOT get happy driving these roads! I caught him on camera enjoying the hell outta that old thing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts