1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Oh, hell yea it does! Just wait...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wonder how much that thing is gonna cost?? How much were the old C43's?? Mid 40's, I'm thinkin'??

At first I was disappointed that they were going with a supercharged V6 instead of a V8 in the new C-Class from AMG, but after browsing that link... the new C32 looks pretty impressive

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the old C43 was $54,651 (Car & Driver) and that explains its last place finish in Car & Driver against the Viggen (3rd) M3 (2nd) and Audi S4 (1st)..... The new C32 has to be cheaper to stay competitive.
Eric....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by kota:
MB AMG cars that are comparable to the BMW M counterpart always seem to be at least $10k more after options. I think the best bang for the buck goes like this: MB < BMW < Audi < Lexus < Acura.

[This message has been edited by kota (edited October 12, 2000).]
Kota, I agree with you... Acura probably delivers the best bang for the buck, but "on paper." They are not as good as putting everything into execution like like the rest of them, hence their lower prices to stay competitive...
Eric...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I like the interior of the C32 AMG...It seems too plasticky.. What do you guys think?
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Eric, have you sat in one, yet? Of course I haven't even seen the sport version as of yet. The base version didn't seem plastic like at all. I don't like the tiny RPM guage, however. Everything else was a definite step up. Class job.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brad, I never had the chance to sit in the New C-class and I'm sure it's much nicer than the car it replaces (on the inside). But the one you sat in probably had wood instead of that stark black BMW like interior of the C32...
Eric....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I believe they use real carbon fiber in the C32. I don't know, I think it will look pretty hot.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
NONO...the BEST bang for the buck is chevrolet
hehe

the new c32 amg is aimed at the new m3 and the times(straight line) will be similiar, and hte handling is another issue, so we'll have to see what happens there. definitely wortha look

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mercedes Benz initially wanted to continue using an 8 cylinder in their AMG C-class but it didn't fit under the hood of the new body properly so they opted for a Supercharger instead. I wonder what the advantage would have been if they used a normally aspirated V-8 that produced the same power? (Engine longevity?)
Eric....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I have a comment. Money aside, I would pick this car or the E55 as my daily driver over anything else available. Period.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Eric, it is an auto only. I know it may work as good as a manual but I still believe fun, spirited driving involves both feet. Sorry, call me old fashioned. There is quite enough technology taking the fun out of driving already.

What do I think? I think it is a cheap, lazy way for Mercedes to compete with the M3. A blower, stiffer suspension, etc. Why is it that the M3's engine at only .2 liters bigger makes nearly the same hp w/o forced induction? They actually went and developed the engine and a car to match it. The M3 is a better overall package and more of a true sports sedan, as it has always been.

I think for those like Brad, who is as crazy about Mercedes as I am about BMW, the C32 will be fine.

By late next year I will begin to see the new M3 at various track events. I would be shocked if I ever see a C32 on the track. It may be simply marketing but I don't see the same type of people buying these cars.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by brad:
I have a comment. Money aside, I would pick this car or the E55 as my daily driver over anything else available. Period.
Thanks Brad, that makes me feel even better about my Purchase..

Eric..

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[Why is it that the M3's engine at only .2 liters bigger makes nearly the same hp w/o forced induction? They actually went and developed the engine and a car to match it. The M3 is a better overall package and more of a true sports sedan, as it has always been.
.[/B][/QUOTE]
S38,
Well the fact that the M3 makes that much power out of that normally aspirated 6 cylinder means that it's tuned in the upper range of its potential.... Don't you think there would be longevity issues??
Eric....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts