Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have searched the forums for the last few days about EMS on Supercharged setups...But still haven't found all the answers to my questions...

I'm bought a used PLP Powerdyne Kit which is coming with a tuned E-Manage Blue...

I am using this car as my daily driver and am not planning to up the boost.

Is the E-manage reliable? In terms of the safety factor in tuning (timing, fuel etc)?
Other words...will my engine be safe and reliable and not go kaboom?

I will be running the stock 750cc 7th injector that comes with the kit...

Just want to know if this is a reliable kit...besides the BD11A (which i know has faulty bearings)....Just the kit in general with the e-manage EMS..
thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is the E-manage reliable? In terms of the safety factor in tuning (timing, fuel etc)?
I don't have a SC setup, but I had an 01 with the turboeast stage 3 turbo kit, to4-e turbo, 440cc injectors, walbro 255lph, on the stock block with the 2mm headgasket and I was pushing 13psi getting 404rwhp. The emanage can't reliably handle much bigger injectors than that.

With my setup and tune, the car ran GREAT, no problems whatsoever with the tune for about 20k miles until I had a boost controller problem... that ended up with a rod going through the side of my block...

You wont have to worry about that with a supercharger, but the emanage can't compensate for a boost spike like I had. Basically my electronic boost controller had a malfunction and I shot up to 22psi when I was at WOT with 440cc injectors and the tune only set for 13psi... haha... KABOOOM

it's not really that funny, but it is now that I look back... Mechanical boost controllers all the way!!!

The emanage blue is a great piggy back for MILD boost applications.
maybe this will help a little bit.

Mike

·
Registered
543 Posts
With my setup and tune, the car ran GREAT, no problems whatsoever with the tune for about 20k miles until I had a boost controller problem... that ended up with a rod going through the side of my block...

You wont have to worry about that with a supercharger, but the emanage can't compensate for a boost spike like I had.
Actually, the E-manage can compensate for boost spikes and wastegate failures. All you'll need is the optional MAP sensor, and safeguard the fuel and timing tables at high boost levels. Pull all the timing and dump fuel, and the engine will not run past its intend boost levels (it will just sputter).

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
^^ Yup. Would be nice to have a feature though, rather than sacrifice the granularity of the I/J and ignition map to cover over-shoot cels and make it pig rich/crazy retard.

But man does it work haha. Going past 9:1 A/f and the car falls on it's face, even in boost haha.

I guess the Blue maxes out at 440cc because it scews the MAF, but with 420cc my EMU isn't near it's limit. IMO I can run 560 or even into the 600s w/ the EMU. IMO the key is using modern injectors with fast AND accurate/repeatable response times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a SC setup, but I had an 01 with the turboeast stage 3 turbo kit, to4-e turbo, 440cc injectors, walbro 255lph, on the stock block with the 2mm headgasket and I was pushing 13psi getting 404rwhp. The emanage can't reliably handle much bigger injectors than that.

You wont have to worry about that with a supercharger, but the emanage can't compensate for a boost spike like I had. Basically my electronic boost controller had a malfunction and I shot up to 22psi when I was at WOT with 440cc injectors and the tune only set for 13psi... haha... KABOOOM

it's not really that funny, but it is now that I look back... Mechanical boost controllers all the way!!!

The emanage blue is a great piggy back for MILD boost applications.
maybe this will help a little bit.

Mike
haha; I had a manual boost controller on my EVO and my other supras...never had a boost spike...I'm sorry to hear that...But thanks for a + reply! So i don't have to spend more money on another piggy back...My gf is already going crazy on me for getting this kit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Actually, the E-manage can compensate for boost spikes and wastegate failures. All you'll need is the optional MAP sensor, and safeguard the fuel and timing tables at high boost levels. Pull all the timing and dump fuel, and the engine will not run past its intend boost levels (it will just sputter).
My boost shot up to 22+ psi... so maybe it wasn't the emanage, my fuel setup probably wasn't capable of keeping up with such a drastic lean spike.

Also my auto handled 400hp with just the valve body upgrade... I would suggest the sprag gear too at that level. It's not neccesary but my uncles popped at 250hp, it just depends on the individual transmission and how you drive it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I used the Emanage Blue for a number of years with a 7th injector setup with no problems. My luck may have been the result of using the 7th injector vs replacing all 6 stock injectors. I think many who have used the Emanage and upgraded their stock injectors ran into problems. There are quite a few threads related to this very subject.

My new project will be using a PROEFI 128, the newest badass on the block that dominates all other EMS's hands down!!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
you should be fine, but you need to find somebody that can not only tune the emanage, but also the split second. and if i was you, tune it to push full fuel at 2psi boost. this will make 100 perrcent sure you dont max out your stock injectors. the o2 sensors will see the rich condition and compensate by pulling fuel from the stock setup. i ran the same setup with great success up to 392rwhp. that was fully built and on the smallest pulley available though. i would suggest you dont try it though, the sc doesnt last very long when you push it to its limits like i did about a half dozen times. pulled a nice 13.1 quarterr mile though. sounds like shit, but when you consider my blower let go at 1/8th and i only had 200hp pushin me the rest of the way down the track, its not too bad. especially if you heard the explosion that i heard when it backfired. i thought i threw a rod for sure, but nope, just a belt on the fast shift of my built trans, too much fuel in the 7th injector setup inside the intake pipe, and blew all the couplers apart.

good luck

ps. if you want to get the betterr bearings and rebuild kit, go to 928 motorsports, call them, mention my name and gretchin, the manager, will get you taken care of. i am in no way affiliated with them, howeverr they did sponsor my car for a short time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.