Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone, I just had a few questions for those of you who own a black IS300. As some already know, I recently sold my White IS and purchased a black one. Now, my question is about the care of the car. The white one was much easier to take care of than the black one. Swirls were barely noticable, and whatever than can be seen with the naked eye, i was able to remove.

Now, I know some of you guys use Zaino on your black cars. How well does it work. Because from what I know, polymers tend to make darker cars show thier paint flaws more and carnuba's give it a deep wet look. Does ZAINO defy this?

Does Zaino have the capability of removing the swirls. Recently in California there has been a huge fire and ash covered the crap out of my car, so after i washed it, the ash had left some scratches on my car.

If you guys could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i dont kno so much that it removes swirls, but if anything it makes it so shiny that it hides or disguises the swirls. you gotta wash it often so dirt doesnt build up and scratchit when you wash it. nevertheless, zaino will make your car so smooth that it will be much easier when you wash it. dirt will not stick to it as easily both when driving and washing

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my current method of washing is as follows:

1) Wash every week, maybe more.
2) Use 3 wash mits, one for wheels, one for the horizontal and vertical panels, and one is a back up. Also the mitts are washed with orange citrus cleaner when done being used so they are always clean and crap free.
3) Dry with 100% made in USA towels. ONLY used when damp so they are softer.

For waxing i wax every 2-3 weeks with a 100% cotton applicator. And remove the wax with clean flannel sheets. 3 sheets are used to remove wax. The first for removing the major haze. The second to buff more off, and the third to perfect. I never go in curcular motion, never have, never will.

Clay bar when its necessary.

BUT, i still want a way to remove the swirls without busting out a rotary buffer.

DOES Zaino help. Because their website says that if you use the z5 or whatever the swirl and scratch remover one is... That it hides the swirls, and every layer you put it will remove more and more till paint is flawless. I would like to know if this is really true.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wxman said:
Malekreza11 said:
What type of wax are you using? I would love to see a comparison of Zaino vs. P21S on dark colored cars. I love my P21S. but I will admit it lasts only 3 months or so.
On my white car i had used Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow wax. It was a good wax, but still a polymer.

I used the Hi-tech yellow on the black one once as well and it worked well. Just a couple days ago i tried a new wax and used 3M perfect it hand wax. It swirled the crap out of my car and the Hi-tech yellow was much better in every way.

How is the P21S. I am also debating between this and Zaino.
Mark, what do you use for your swirls? The ash in california killed my new black car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've been using products from griots with a lot of success. Check out griotsgarage.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wxman said:
Malekreza11 said:
What type of wax are you using? I would love to see a comparison of Zaino vs. P21S on dark colored cars. I love my P21S. but I will admit it lasts only 3 months or so.
P21S would only last 3 months in a garage with your car covered. 2-3 weeks max on a daily driver. Zaino is excellent on dark cars. Here is Zaino on my ML320, 3x of zaino Z5.

my C320 with 4x Zaino Z5.

another, the CL55 is also zainoed.

in the sun

sunset...

swirl free and perfectly clean like it should be. the car has a clear bra too, zaino does an excellent job at hiding the bra lines.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
AlBoston said:
Wxman said:
Malekreza11 said:
P21S would only last 3 months in a garage with your car covered. 2-3 weeks max on a daily driver. Zaino is excellent on dark cars. Here is Zaino on my ML320, 3x of zaino Z5.
Al, nothing personal but you are crazy thinking 2-3 weeks. www.thewaxtest.com did a test and found it to last 2 months in harsh conditions. I did my car 2 months ago and the water still beads very well, so the wax is still present.

Mak, I use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or P21S paint gloss enhancer to remove the swirl marks on my car. The P21S paint gloss enhancer works well for smaller swirl marks, and the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is wonderful for the more difficult swirls. Try the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and let me knwo what you think.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
well my current method of washing is as follows:

1) Wash every week, maybe more.
2) Use 3 wash mits, one for wheels, one for the horizontal and vertical panels, and one is a back up. Also the mitts are washed with orange citrus cleaner when done being used so they are always clean and crap free.
3) Dry with 100% made in USA towels. ONLY used when damp so they are softer.

For waxing i wax every 2-3 weeks with a 100% cotton applicator. And remove the wax with clean flannel sheets. 3 sheets are used to remove wax. The first for removing the major haze. The second to buff more off, and the third to perfect. I never go in curcular motion, never have, never will.

Clay bar when its necessary.

BUT, i still want a way to remove the swirls without busting out a rotary buffer.

DOES Zaino help. Because their website says that if you use the z5 or whatever the swirl and scratch remover one is... That it hides the swirls, and every layer you put it will remove more and more till paint is flawless. I would like to know if this is really true.
Ok, you really need to change your detailing method. First of all what kind of wash mitt are you using? most wash mitts will leave swirls just cuz of the material they are made out of. I like microfiber wash mitts and 100% viking cotton chenille wash mitts. You must also rinse the wash mitt off at least every 1/2 panel to prevent swirl/scratching. Clean Flannel sheets to get wax off is probably one of the worst things to use. I would definitely either get some 100% made in USA cotton towels, like fieldcrest charisma select or some good microfiber towels from autofiber.com or neatitems.com. These microfiber towels will remove wax residue in one swipe. For the Zaino vs P21S discussion, they are both excellent products. P21S looks amazing, gives a deep oily shine, applies very easily, comes off even easier; however, on a black daily driver it will last only 3-4 weeks. Zaino has a hard almost candy coated looking shine, makes your car look like it came right out of the paint booth, beads water like nothing you have ever seen before, lasts 4 months with 3 coats on a daily driver. It is a little more work to apply but I think it is well worth it. Neither zaino or P21S will remove swirls, P21S will hide some swirls with its oily nature but will not get rid of them. Using an abrasive compound on a buffer is the only way to remove swirls/paint imperfections. Hope this helps, I should get some dots for this post :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wxman said:
AlBoston said:
Wxman said:
Malekreza11 said:
Al, nothing personal but you are crazy thinking 2-3 weeks. www.thewaxtest.com did a test and found it to last 2 months in harsh conditions. I did my car 2 months ago and the water still beads very well, so the wax is still present.

Mak, I use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or P21S paint gloss enhancer to remove the swirl marks on my car. The P21S paint gloss enhancer works well for smaller swirl marks, and the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is wonderful for the more difficult swirls. Try the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and let me knwo what you think.
Wxman, I am actually good friends with the person that did the waxtest. He may have his opinion, but I find that it just needs to be redone after 3-4 weeks on a black car that is driven daily. Sorry the pics don't work, my normal host is down till monday.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Zaino doesn't hide swirls. Zaino is a reflections polish. To remove swirls you need to use 3M swirl mark remover before applying your first coat of Zaino and after claying the car. Black is hard to keep but Zaino does do its job actually even better

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
This is 2 months since the last time I waxed the car. It beads perfectly and you are telling me that the wax is gone on my car. Come on dude, you are simply wrong.

Mak, look at how shiny my car looks. Do you think this 2 year old car has no wax left on it?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wxman said:
This is 2 months since the last time I waxed the car. It beads perfectly and you are telling me that the wax is gone on my car. Come on dude, you are simply wrong.

Mak, look at how shiny my car looks. Do you think this 2 year old car has no wax left on it?

You might be getting 2 months durability and thats fine. My car deals with lots of rain, intense sun light, extreme temperature changes, etc. These are all factors that make any wax/sealant (especially a carnuaba) deteriorate rather quickly! BTW your car should still be shiny without any wax, if it isn't I would get a new paint job. Please take a picture of your car after spraying it with a shower from the hose, I would like to see the beading.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AntzLexusIS said:
Zaino doesn't hide swirls. Zaino is a reflections polish. To remove swirls you need to use 3M swirl mark remover before applying your first coat of Zaino and after claying the car. Black is hard to keep but Zaino does do its job actually even better
Then why is Zaino advertising on thier site how the Z5 swirl and minor scratch remover will remove or hide swirls? No where on Zaino's site does it say to use 3M swirl remover before applying Zaino, and from what i know, Zaino reccomends you not apply anything but Zaino after the car has been washed with Dawn and clayed thoroughly.

Mark, i really do like the way your car looks. And its so hard for me to decide which route to take with my car. Unfortunately i am a perfectionist and very nit-picky. I thought about using the 3M imperial hand glaze along with some P21S, but i get mixed answers from people and some say it sucks and some say it looks good. Again, my main concern is being able to hide the swirls without using a compound. My car is 2 weeks old and there is no way i would take a buffer out on the car just yet. How does the hand glaze work for your car on swirls??

Can anyone else reccomend some stuff. I am leaning alot toward Zaino right now, i love the way it looks and shines, but i also want my swirls to be gone, or at least ALOT less.

---Malek

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.