Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
... if that car ever makes it here then it will probably be competition for the upcoming reintroduced BMW 318/325Ti .....
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Kota,
I know for sure the Ti is coming... I am not sure as to what engine size they'll stick in it (which is why I said 318Ti/325Ti). The old Ti was a 318 model. BMW no longer uses 4 cylinder engines in any of their cars in the American line-up so I figured that the next Ti model will probably be a 6 cylinder...
Eric....

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
PPLEASE NO! whenever i see one of those i think "cheap bastard who wants the image of wealthiness who can't afford the nameplate"

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by kota:
Mrclam, one sign of maturity is modesty. I know you are excited to have your M3, but not everyone can afford what you have.
Well Said Kota...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I have to agree with Clam. I don't think he's being a snob, here. Anyone who bought that POS ti a few years ago is an idiot. Think of everything else you could have bought for the same money that was a better car. Maxima, Jetta, Eclipse, Accord coupe v6, etc. Of course, I have read the hatchback Benz is not a decantered version of the C class, so we will see about this one.

Originally posted by mrclam:
PPLEASE NO! whenever i see one of those i think "cheap bastard who wants the image of wealthiness who can't afford the nameplate"

[This message has been edited by brad (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I understand where you're coming from Brad, but at the same time there were/are people that were interested in a BMW but couldn't afford it or the insurence. The 318Ti was made to be more affordable to those individuals. Personally if I was in the market for a car in that price range I would buy another car. I understand both perspectives though...
Eric...

I think Kota was just pointing out that mrClam should be more modest

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
honestly, i know what you're saying, but i think i'd be a snob if i said that to say a 323 for not going for the 328. but come on, a 318???? you're paying some 20k+ for a 4banger that gets outperformed by everything in the same price range. someone who buys the 318 isn't looking for a good deal, they're looking for the bmw nameplate. honestly, if i didn't have the financial resources to get my m3, i would've gotten a maxima. its got more room, looks more respectable, and have better reliability than a 318ti.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have to agree with both mrclam and brad. Might as well just take the emblem and use it as a belt buckle or a necklace pendant. (ha-ha-ha)

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
sorry kota, didn't mean it that way =)

speaking of modesty, one of the guys at my school has an e46 328...he told me he wanted to race on the freeway from 60+....he knows i have an m3 but he still thinks he's gonna win because "i don't drive like he does"....this si a straight line, and yes he's got an auto....but come on...after launching a stickshift, i'm gonna eat this guy from 60+....he'll top out at 128 and i'll continue giong to 145, all i said to him was, okay, sure, i won't even try then
hehe

oh yeah, he tried to tell me the new e46 m3 coudln't go 0-60 in high 4s because its only a 6 cylinder and not an 8 =)

[This message has been edited by mrclam (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the 0-60 is about 5.6....it ranges from 5.6-6 depending on who tested the car. i haven't really raced it yet, i'm holding in the temptation =) i love the feeling of kicking myself in the butt htiting redline in first, but i try not to do taht in third and fourth, and so far its working
i'm basically trying to hold off until i go to driving school sometime in the near future, i don't want to do something stupid and ruin a great car =) on the other hand, i was driving in an upper class neighborhood today and some kid with a previous gen mustang gt was driving like a mad fool swerving in between lanes way too close and stuff...well...i just pulled up and revved and gave him the snobbiest look i could and he behaved himself
he he.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Or its someone who appreciates good gas milage, and style of the vehicle. I have a 318i which I use exclusively for commuting, but I also have a M Coupe for the weekend. I guess you are free to generalize as you wish but sometimes it's just a matter of taste.
But then again many people say that M Coupe owners have no taste for buying such as car.

Rick Kim

Mr. Clam Wrote regarding 318ti------------

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Remember that elsewhere in the world that gas is very expensive and there are many 318's, C190's, E230's, and 520's (among others) out there...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts