Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these cars is better with automatic transmission?

Lexus IS300
5 speed automatic
215 HP
218 ft.lbs.
RWD
Front engined
3285 lbs.

Mazda RX8
4 speed automatic
210 HP
164 ft.lbs.
RWD
Front-Mid engined
3029 lbs.

Could you guys post pros and cons for both of these cars with which one should be quicker, faster, more nimble, etc. I just want to see since I haven't seen a test of AT mazda RX8.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
from what I hear, the RX-8 handles extremely well. From a handling aspect, I would assume the RX-8 wins... The IS will be more driveable on the street because it has gobs more torque, and more importantly, torque where it matters...at low rpm. From a comfort aspect, the IS has more room front and rear. Other than that, its a stalemate.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I sat in the RX-8 at a Mazda Rev It Up event last weekend. Nice looking car. Hardly any room at all. The back seat is a joke, they should have just made it a 2 seater. But Lex was right.....rotary engine is amazing for getting HP but VERY weak on the torque side.....go IS, you will have it all. Speed, torque, room, comfort, and....it is a Lexus (more reliable, more resale value, and better service.), not a Mazda.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was at mazda dealership today and saw 6 speed RX8 there and checked out the rear seats and stuff. Rear seats were pretty comfy actually, enough room for people under 6 feet tall. Center console looks better than in IS and engine in RX8 is very close to your feet. Probably like 5 inches far. When you open the hood and take engine covers off, you can hardly even see the rotary engine. IS's engine is probably more reliable, and can be turbo'd as well. But I guess for daily driver, IS would be better.

Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts