Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching a documentary on Mazda's history with the Rotor Engine on TV-Japan. They have some good shows. Last time they had a documentary on Honda's efforts to build the first car that passed the Clean Air Amendments act of 1975. It shows you the story behind the cars, like "Behind the Music " on VH1.

·
Registered
666 Posts
there was also a good thread in this forum a couple months back about Mazda and the rotary engines, where webmaster and a bunch of other talked about the advantages and disavantages of the rotary engine.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the show I was watching. I hope you guys can read Japanese. The title is "Project X" and it chronicles the story of pioneers and luminaries of Japan.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/projectx/28/index.htm

In brief, it tells the story of Kenichi Yamamoto who was the head of R&D at Toyo Industries (later to become Mazda). Ken's family was killed by the atom bomb, and he wanted to do something to bring hope back to Hiroshima. So he took to the task of further developing the Wankel Rotor engine. After many failed attempts, he was able to build a Rotor engine that was relatively fuel efficient and didn't vibrate as much. The show says that the Rotor engine allowed Mazda to stay independent long enough to become Japan's No.3 car maker.

PS wazzup, I was the one who started that thread.

[This message has been edited by Chiphead (edited November 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah, and I have had alot of dealings with Mazda rotaries, so I have much interest in that technology.

I have owned 5 rotary cars in my life, including an Rx7 that I converted to run on propane gas, and tried out 4 different turbos in the thing.

I went for a ride on a Suzuki Re-5 (rotary) motorcycle once...

And I flew on the Concorde too, but that isn't rotary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts