Lexus IS Forum banner

Maxima vs. IS300

13K views 137 replies 45 participants last post by  ill_mannered 
#1 ·
Why buy a 215 hp automatic 2001 Lexus IS300 for like 30+ grand when you can get a 227 horsepower 5 speed manual Loaded Nissan Maxima Anniversary edition for less?

#52 ·
tell you what.. what makes the Lexus better than any other car on the road.. in my previous post I mentioned that my cousin has a GS 400 Plat Ed.

well he use to own a GS 300 and that thing was messed up from the word go.. the car steering wheel was always vibrating at 60 - 80 mph yes its in the GS Technical Service Bulletin.. the Sunroof had a lot of noise ..yes its in the GS Technical Service Bulletin.. and the check engine light kept coming on.. you know what Lexus of Greenwich told him? "maybe your not tightening your gas cap" please 5 different times?

he brought that car down there over 20 times in the 4 months he owned it.. and yes lexus service is sweet because they gave him an ES 300 to drive home.. but it was head ace's after head aces... driving down there every damn time..

so dont' give me this lexus quality thing.. because every car maker has issues..
Originally posted by brad:
Piss off. I drive a GS 400 and 53 Packard. And that means nothing considering what we're discussing but since you asked, bitch.

#53 ·
I own a white 99 5spd Maxima SE.
I Love the Car.....and yes Its quicker than the IS300. Has a little more room.....
The car handles Okay to me...Very Little torque steer......
But I Love the IS300 MORE!!

The Lexus Definitly handles better than the maxima.
Like I said above the manual Maxima is quicker than the Auto IS300...don't know about the Auto Maxima......

Smra.

#54 ·
You only make 75K a year

HAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

You must work for someone, and NO your paycheck is WEAK I would not make that public knowledge again. Us SQL Developers run our own show MAKE at ton more than that and don't need to feel that we have to justify our salary. Now, why am I driving a CLS? I'm a cheap bastard LOL.

#55 ·
First of all I never said Lexus was the end all of all cars. It is your contention that the Maxima is damn near even in quality to a Lexus, and that is an absurd claim.
Second, check Consumer Guides, JD Power, and resale % value as well as customer retention and you tell me again Lexus isn't at the top year after year. Where's your Maxima and Nissan?
I'm not a snob and don't jerk myself off b/c of what I drive but it sure seems that you have serious jealousy issues and you know what, here's a newsflash, I'm betting you don't make 75K b/c judging by the enormous chip on your shoulder and your keen interest in cars you would be driving something else. No way to go through life being a loser, liar, misinformed and brash.

#59 ·
brother man .. calm yourself.. I don't have any envy at all, in my quest for a car, I considered two cars and still considering IS 300 and BMW 330 CI, now i decided that it wasn't time for me to make such a big investment and that the investment of a house and saving some of that money would be a better choice in the long run.. My maxima is cheap.. yes.. and so what.. it doesn't turn as many heads as your GS, I know this because my cousin and I go lots of places together and he gets all the compliments.. but regardless of the point.. if I wanted to live watching my bank account and worry where I was going to be renting in a year or so.. I would buy a GS 400 and be happy joy joy with you..
Originally posted by brad:
First of all I never said Lexus was the end all of all cars. It is your contention that the Maxima is damn near even in quality to a Lexus, and that is an absurd claim.
Second, check Consumer Guides, JD Power, and resale % value as well as customer retention and you tell me again Lexus isn't at the top year after year. Where's your Maxima and Nissan?
I'm not a snob and don't jerk myself off b/c of what I drive but it sure seems that you have serious jealousy issues and you know what, here's a newsflash, I'm betting you don't make 75K b/c judging by the enormous chip on your shoulder and your keen interest in cars you would be driving something else. No way to go through life being a loser, liar, misinformed and brash.

#60 ·
Ok, this topic was going soooo nice until 4yoazz put in his ignorant post. My thoughts on the two cars... The IS is nicer. Case closed. If I could get either of the two right now, I'd wait a year and get the stick is. However, if I HAD to go buy one right now, today, it would be the max simply because of the stick but let's be real, how many people are like that?

The IS is a beautiful, refined car. But you know what 4yoazz... you probably don't know but the IS is a beautiful, refined TOYOTA! The car is a toyota altezza with a crooked L on the hood. Now tell me about what kinda kmart car company toyota is. stupid.

Both cars have outstanding qualities and I think they are defiantely comparable. If you're about speed and the 1/4 mile and still having a beautiful car (a lowered 2k max with the 17's and maybe even a stillen body kit is gorgeous... don't try and say otherwise.)

So what's the bottom line? Both cars are great and have great qualities. The lexus is nicer, it should be, it's carrying the lexus name tag! I'm 19 right now and have time to drive nice cars, nicer than the is actually, so I couldn't be happier with my max right now. Everyone on this board was really cool and objective about everything but anyone who takes their arrogant lexus-owner attitude to the street is gonna see the "ugly" tail lights a whole lot. =)

Chris

#61 ·
ok I think you need to take a trip to supraforums.. because I just lost all total respect for you and your posts..

trying to rub noses to seem elite.. please.. I could jump all over the CL-S but I am not going to sink to your level.. plus I have friends on the honda board and I am not going to disrespect them because you feel the need to keep your nose an odd color brown
Originally posted by comptechcls:
Just let me go Brad, just realized I'm wasting my time here, he owns a maxima

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Later on I'll go whip one for fun!! I'll think of him LOL You do the same!!

#62 ·
22 making 75K a year? Your either a pretty boy male stripper in an overcrowded prison or your in the technology industry. No 75K is no big deal at 22 although good if you make it. But this is the internet 99% bull**** 1% truth. Now I am surprised no one has reacted to your "I make more $$ than half of you here" comment. That is total BS. To afford a 35K to 30K car you should be making at least 50K a year or more comfortably unless your still at home with mom and dad or live in a shoebox. Trust me, think twice about locking into a financial pissing match when you own a maxima and are on a Lexus board LOL. And so what if you make 75K a year good for you if you do. I made 75K last year but I only worked 8 out of the 12 months to do it so let me remind you that there is always a bigger fish. And yes, someone is reading this right now saying "hey, I make more than that!" and that is how life goes, just enjoy what you have and buy a better car you fruitcake.

#63 ·
Alright, I had to jump in here. The only reason why the Lexus and the Maxima are in different classes is mainly due to the drivetrain configuration. I drive a SC'ed 96 Maxima SE and I went to the Lexus Invitational here in Atlanta GA. The Lexus is a solid car but it is no BMW (if you are going for prestige). You paid 10,000 less than a BMW 3 seriers and you took a dip in quality. I think that it is all for the better that Lexus did this, it makes them a stronger force to be delt with as BMW's competitor in a lesser price range.

My take on the IS300 vs Maxima debate? I'm split
Maxima- better luxury seating, better instrument layout and visibility, better engine, lower price, can handle better than a Lexus with springs/shocks.
Lexus- better service, better handling, RWD, cheaper looking seats that hold you better, higher price, could be faster than a Maxima with a SC/TC.

All in all I would own a IS300 in due time but I still love my Maxima. They are 2 different cars (not in class but rather configuration) that are still competitrors on level battle grounds. Keep it civil you guys and don't get a chip on your shoulders. We are all trying to be just as good/if not better than BMW for a lesser price.

Now time for a bit of sibling rivalry- Don't try to go up against me in your IS300 I'll smoke you! J/K =)

Take care

------------------
Justin Gadlage
Maxima Owners and Enthusiasts page
www.geocities.com/jgadlage

#65 ·
hmm.. i don't know what to say
yes I do work in the Technolgical Field.. I actually work for the third largest ISP in the nation.. but thats not the point.. did you say mommy and daddy buy the car and they live at home? no no .. that could never happen
hey.. again I am going to refrain from jumping on your car.. as I said before.. but all I have to say is.. I will see you on the highway.. for that split second when I hit the clutch and drop it into third and then wave good bye
22 making 75K a year? Your either a pretty boy male stripper in an overcrowded prison or your in the technology industry. No 75K is no big deal at 22 although good if you make it. But this is the internet 99% bull**** 1% truth. Now I am surprised no one has reacted to your "I make more $$ than half of you here" comment. That is total BS. To afford a 35K to 30K car you should be making at least 50K a year or more comfortably unless your still at home with mom and dad or live in a shoebox. Trust me, think twice about locking into a financial pissing match when you own a maxima and are on a Lexus board LOL. And so what if you make 75K a year good for you if you do. I made 75K last year but I only worked 8 out of the 12 months to do it so let me remind you that there is always a bigger fish. And yes, someone is reading this right now saying "hey, I make more than that!" and that is how life goes, just enjoy what you have and buy a better car you fruitcake.

#66 ·
I will remember that when I go to buy my next car.. thank you .. you have put me a step further..
Oh, and I don't really care if you lost respect for me. Who are you again? Who? and your one to talk throwing your salary out like it was gonna impress people. YOU BELONG ON THE BIMMER.ORG boards if you wanna go down that road!

#67 ·
Are you now saying a Maxima is faster than a Type-S? Yeah your right, for that split second you drop it in third and wave goodbye as I start pulling away and you start wondering why you spoke junk about a car that is slower than a Type-S.

[This message has been edited by comptechcls (edited November 22, 2000).]

#68 ·
Read the book "Millionaire Next Door" The most popular car/truck among millionaires is Ford F-150 and second I think was Buick. BMW's, Lexus's, MB's don't even make top ten. Driving fancy cars doesn't necessarily mean you are rich. Annual salary also doesn't mean sh@#- a person that makes $30,000 annually might actually be more "rich" than you if he/she has saved up more money.

#69 ·
no I am saying my maxima is faster
.. by the way what CL-S run in the 1/4?

the 2k Maxima GXE runs 14.9 STOCK

Are you now saying a Maxima is faster than a Type-S? Yeah your right, for that split second you drop it in third and wave goodbye as I start pulling away and you start wondering why you spoke junk about a car that is slower than a Type-S.

[This message has been edited by comptechcls (edited November 22, 2000).]

#70 ·
How weak. People bragging about how much money they make and others are knocking how much people make. Some of you need to get over your "big" paychecks because making 100K in Cali is like making 50K in Kansas City. It's all relative and directly related to the cost of housing in that area.

Back to the subject. I am a Maxima owner and I love the IS300. It's a little slow for my taste, but the manual IS300 will be as quick as the Maxima 5 speed. The IS300 is a better handling car than the Max when stock, but if you add springs, shocks, rear sway bar, strut tower braces, and sticky tires, you guys would be hard pressed to lose a Max "in the twisties". As far as acceleration, I destroy IS300 on and off the track, but I think no less of the car. They kill me off the line, but I walk past them by 40mph and well into the topend. With $2000 in suspension/wheel mods and $600 in performance mods, my old 96 Maxima can out accelerate and handle as good as a IS300. That makes me happy. As for looks, the IS300 is the hands done winner. I love the looks of my modded Max (check out my site), but it's a little outdated compared to the IS300. As for the owning experience of having a Lexus, that is not anything special IMO. You guys do realize you're just driving a glorified Toyota Altezza, right? The ES300 is a Camry. Personally, I think it's a waste of money just to pay for a "name". The IS300 is a "notch" above the Maxima in build quality, handling, "feel" and it should be for $4000-9000 more.

"If" I had $33000 to blow on 4-door car, then I'd consider a IS300 manual. If I had that kind of money (I don't. I buy all my cars with cash), then I should have the money to fabricate a turbo system for the IS300. It just makes me drool looking at the IS300 engine bay knowing that NA Supra motor can take some nice boost. How about a 2001 M3 killer for over $7000 less (considering no dealer markup on the M3).

Dave

------------------
super black 96 Maxima SE 5 speed
14.91@94mph
Mods? ;)

#72 ·
Max Owner-

Sure, 4DSC ran a 14.93 in his stock GXE, but he is a very good driver and has had lots of experience racing. He also runs up one of the quickest tracks in the nation. Just take a look at who has the "fastest" NA Maximas and you'll see they all run on tracks in the northeast, at sea level, and no humidity. As a experienced drag racer, track conditions make a huge difference. The average Maxima GXE 5 speed will run lower 15s. Running 14.9 doesn't mean they all run 14.9s. Acura CL Type can run anywhere from low 15s to high 14s. That's pretty good for a FWD auto if you ask me.

Dave

------------------
super black 96 Maxima SE 5 speed
14.91@94mph
Mods? ;)

#73 ·
Sprung run 14.8 and 14.9 also

Originally posted by Dave B:
Max Owner-

Sure, 4DSC ran a 14.93 in his stock GXE, but he is a very good driver and has had lots of experience racing. He also runs up one of the quickest tracks in the nation. Just take a look at who has the "fastest" NA Maximas and you'll see they all run on tracks in the northeast, at sea level, and no humidity. As a experienced drag racer, track conditions make a huge difference. The average Maxima GXE 5 speed will run lower 15s. Running 14.9 doesn't mean they all run 14.9s. Acura CL Type can run anywhere from low 15s to high 14s. That's pretty good for a FWD auto if you ask me.

Dave

#76 ·
hehe you guys are funny. this tread started out as a pretty good comparisson between the max and the IS. then y'all started bashing and then started pulling out your wallets. Y'all should run for office. heheh

in case you are wondering, I'm a superhero and I make 100 bladawlion dollars a day.

jamie...

------------------
#94STS -- Houston Region SCCA
'94 Civic SI
'92 Civic SI (parts car)
'84 BMW 325e
http://www.conecrazy.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.