Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
IS300GTE...maybe you drove an altima and thought it was a maxima..trust me..maxima even autos are faster than IS300...they have alot of kick in them..i have a '95 maxima...in a straight line..my friend drove it and i drove the is300..it took me by 2 or so car lengths..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Originally posted by VBGOD:
I don't know... don't forget about the Acura CL Type S that is cheaper and has 260hp. Funny thing is that I would STILL rather have the IS300..
i would have take a CL-s over maxima any day. But nothing beats IS300

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
yamaot..of course, anyone in their right mind would. the cl-s is alot more luxurious. but maxima definitely is one of the best cars for its price..

·
Registered
187 Posts
handles like what? your in PA right.. I will see you on the side of the road this winter.. unless you have a little beater FWD to drive around hahahah
Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
Because IMHO the Max is ugly as hell (rear end) and handles like sh!t...Now that I have a RWD car I would never go back to FWD. Also, I don't want a stick for a daily commuter car.

Lexus warranty and service kicks Nissan's A$$.

Where are all of these Max owners coming from? We don't mind newbies but pulease be constructive in your posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
excellent point

Originally posted by Falken:

Hey, when are you guys gonna give up this "they can't be compared b/c they're in a different class" crap. In the grand scheme of things they are both cars, so yes, in fact, they can be compared! I understand not comparing a grapefruit to an IS300, but come on, let's be real. Besides, you should show a little respect to the Maxima--it was, after all, probably the first affordable, decent-handling 4-door sportscar on the market. Therefore, IT ABSOLUTELY IS COMPARABLE TO THE IS300! Let's see--Maxima has no RWD, but is still faster than the IS300. IS300 has no manual transmission but handles better than the Maxima. Seems like a fair comparison to me. Personally it would be a lot easier and cheaper to make the Maxima handle like the IS300 than to make the IS300 as fast as the Maxima.

[This message has been edited by Falken (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
187 Posts
no your wrong.. stock for stock .. base for base.. the 4-dr GSR is the same price as a GXE maxima.. sorry nice try.. and the GXE maxima runs 14.9 1/4 STOCK... show me a STOCK 4-DR GSR doing that...

Originally posted by GPR:
Since we are talking about this, I could buy a 4 dorr integra(if thats a mid sized thing) and build it to run circles around AND smoke a maxima. Then I'd STILL have money left over, maybe i could put on some neon lights or something. Does that mean I get to compare it to a Maxima and IS?? Probably not.

Seriously, front of the Maxima looks good...the rear reminds me too much of a Dodge Neon. Just thinking about that gives me chills....

[This message has been edited by GPR (edited November 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by GPR (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
187 Posts
being that you are a maxima owner.. its nice to see a non-biased argument around here..

actually I have read this whole thread and all the arguments see nice non-bais.. valid points and very informative..

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:
yamaot..of course, anyone in their right mind would. the cl-s is alot more luxurious. but maxima definitely is one of the best cars for its price..

·
Registered
6 Posts
ummm 14.9 gxe - ummmm well ive been on the maxima bbs for almost a year now and i have yet to see that happen - yes if you want to say - im callin you out - 14.9 stock maxima gxe ? what year - if thats so then why did i buy a 99SE ?!?!?!?

known as stillnmax on maxima.org

·
Registered
187 Posts
Neel.. you know that Adam AKA My 4DSC runs 14.93 STOCK in his 2k GXE.. now shut up...

Originally posted by unbiased:
ummm 14.9 gxe - ummmm well ive been on the maxima bbs for almost a year now and i have yet to see that happen - yes if you want to say - im callin you out - 14.9 stock maxima gxe ? what year - if thats so then why did i buy a 99SE ?!?!?!?

known as stillnmax on maxima.org

·
Registered
6 Posts
oops my bad - i thought it was another year . ha ha - yea tell me about it
and he ran a 14.8 not 14.9
yea i saw this run -

<--- forgetful

·
Registered
2 Posts
I belive the Maxima and IS300 are very much comparable - indeed, both were among the "finalists" of my recent car-purchase decision. I had a '98 Accord Coupe V6, which was an excellent car in all respects save that it was not particularly fun to drive. All of my previous vehicles had been stick-shifts, and I felt a return to "rowing my own" would significantly improve the fin to drive quotient. I also wanted a V6. The three finalists were the Maxima, IS, and CLS. Yes, I know that the latter two don't have stick-shifts, but the engine on the CL-S is a compelling argument all by itself.

But returning to the Maxima / IS300 comparison. Let me say at the outset that I was really very fond of the IS - there's a lot to like about this automobile - but I chose the Maxima. Here are a few of the rambling reasosn why.

1) 5 speed stick. No "manumatic" truly replicates the 3-pedal experience. The IS 300 autoshifter is excellent, but it's still an automatic.

2) Sensation of speed. The IS 300 just doesn't feel fast. In fact, I didn't come across any publication quoting a measured 0 to 60 of less than 7.5 seconds. A recent Canadian publication had it at 8.0 seconds, and that's how it felt to me. I think the two-fold culprit here is the auto box and vehicle weight. I was surprised at the fact that the published curb weight of the IS is greater than the larger Maxima. The IS needs to go on a diet, plain and simple. And it's not absolute numbers that concern me so much as the sensation of speed - windinng out second gear in the Maxima, up-shifting to third, and feeling a whole new rush of acceleration is an experience I just didn;t get in the IS.

3) Exterior styling. IS 300 wins by a long shot. In my opinion, it's the best-looking compact sedan available at any price. The Maxima design has, shall we say, less universal appeal. But I like it, and I spend more time inside than outside the vehicle.

4) Interior design. I found the Maxima the clear victor here. Clean, legible and elegant dash design. Quality materials. The dash on the IS is something that I would be resigned to putting up with, simply because there is so much else to like about the car. And the rock-hard plastics that are not evident in any other Lexus didn't even measure up to my Accord. Also a serious lack of interior stowage space. Lovely leather seats with contrasting piping, though.

5) Handling / Braking. The IS 300 was the winner, but not by as significant a margine as I would have thought. I'm a big fan of RWD, but I also live in Canada where, as you might have heard, it snows. RWD is a whole different kind of fun in winter - and not a good kind.

Overall, I found the Maxima to be more fun to drive, which was my primary purchase criterion. The fact that it was SEVERAL thousands of dollars less was simply a bonus. It's not that I couldn't afford the IS, but having an extra large load of cash available to play with was a nice treat.

My next car will probably be the IS - when it is available with a 5 speed (6 speed ?) tranny.

And by the way - this is a great forum - I learned a lot here when I was in pre-purchase mode and will certainly keep looking for any updates.

Have fun

Jaeger

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Jaeger:
I belive the Maxima and IS300 are very much comparable - indeed, both were among the "finalists" of my recent car-purchase decision. I had a '98 Accord Coupe V6, which was an excellent car in all respects save that it was not particularly fun to drive. All of my previous vehicles had been stick-shifts, and I felt a return to "rowing my own" would significantly improve the fin to drive quotient. I also wanted a V6. The three finalists were the Maxima, IS, and CLS. Yes, I know that the latter two don't have stick-shifts, but the engine on the CL-S is a compelling argument all by itself.

But returning to the Maxima / IS300 comparison. Let me say at the outset that I was really very fond of the IS - there's a lot to like about this automobile - but I chose the Maxima. Here are a few of the rambling reasosn why.

1) 5 speed stick. No "manumatic" truly replicates the 3-pedal experience. The IS 300 autoshifter is excellent, but it's still an automatic.

2) Sensation of speed. The IS 300 just doesn't feel fast. In fact, I didn't come across any publication quoting a measured 0 to 60 of less than 7.5 seconds. A recent Canadian publication had it at 8.0 seconds, and that's how it felt to me. I think the two-fold culprit here is the auto box and vehicle weight. I was surprised at the fact that the published curb weight of the IS is greater than the larger Maxima. The IS needs to go on a diet, plain and simple. And it's not absolute numbers that concern me so much as the sensation of speed - windinng out second gear in the Maxima, up-shifting to third, and feeling a whole new rush of acceleration is an experience I just didn;t get in the IS.

3) Exterior styling. IS 300 wins by a long shot. In my opinion, it's the best-looking compact sedan available at any price. The Maxima design has, shall we say, less universal appeal. But I like it, and I spend more time inside than outside the vehicle.

4) Interior design. I found the Maxima the clear victor here. Clean, legible and elegant dash design. Quality materials. The dash on the IS is something that I would be resigned to putting up with, simply because there is so much else to like about the car. And the rock-hard plastics that are not evident in any other Lexus didn't even measure up to my Accord. Also a serious lack of interior stowage space. Lovely leather seats with contrasting piping, though.

5) Handling / Braking. The IS 300 was the winner, but not by as significant a margine as I would have thought. I'm a big fan of RWD, but I also live in Canada where, as you might have heard, it snows. RWD is a whole different kind of fun in winter - and not a good kind.

Overall, I found the Maxima to be more fun to drive, which was my primary purchase criterion. The fact that it was SEVERAL thousands of dollars less was simply a bonus. It's not that I couldn't afford the IS, but having an extra large load of cash available to play with was a nice treat.

My next car will probably be the IS - when it is available with a 5 speed (6 speed ?) tranny.

And by the way - this is a great forum - I learned a lot here when I was in pre-purchase mode and will certainly keep looking for any updates.

Have fun

Jaeger
Jaeger, Excellent reply. Enjoy your Maxima.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I agree, the Maxima is a very good buy for about $28K (fully loaded) - unless you get it for even less, thanks to the "help us go bankrupt" rebate/discount from Nissan.
But if I was going UGLY, I'd rather get an Acura CL-S, for about the same price.
Truth is, I had a 94 Maxima and loved it. But the 2000 Maxima, aside from being ugly and every other car on the road, is not comparable to my IS. It's bigger, bulkier, and NO, you guys are wrong, it's not faster than the IS (if you're comparing Autos). The manual Maxima gets about 6.7s from 0-60 mph, but that's where the fun ends. It's too big to be driven like a sports sedan. So compare it to a Camry or Accord, not an IS or 3 series.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by crontab:
Greetings maxima owner.

Both are great cars. I wouldn't mind owning either of them, or any car for the matter.

But, I don't see a comparison between a maxima and an IS. They are of different classes. I think the solara, tl, cl, are in the same class as the maxima. Which one of those are the best? I have no idea.

Note: There will always be cars that are cheaper and faster than the one you own.

-crontab -l

How is the CL in the same class as the Maxima???

Sedan? No.
Stick? No.

The TL is a better comparison...

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:

But if I was going UGLY, I'd rather get an Acura CL-S, for about the same price.

and if i were going for slow, ricey, and overpriced, why golly, i'd look at the is300.

·
Registered
187 Posts
could you explain that .. its too big to be driven like a sports sedan...

does the same philosphy hold over for the M5 also?

explain that for me please

Originally posted by hasanazhar:
I agree, the Maxima is a very good buy for about $28K (fully loaded) - unless you get it for even less, thanks to the "help us go bankrupt" rebate/discount from Nissan.
Truth is, I had a 94 Maxima and loved it. But the 2000 Maxima, aside from being ugly and every other car on the road, is not comparable to my IS. It's bigger, bulkier, and NO, you guys are wrong, it's not faster than the IS (if you're comparing Autos). The manual Maxima gets about 6.7s from 0-60 mph, but that's where the fun ends. It's too big to be driven like a sports sedan. So compare it to a Camry or Accord, not an IS or 3 series.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Now this has to be the most ridiculous forum ever thought of. Next it will be the Saturn owners coming on here talking crazy. By name alone the Maxima is inferior. Nissan vs Lexus, what a joke. That's the reason BMW and MB can require more money because of the status and prestige that go along with their cars. Not just the performance. Hell, you can get almost any car for cheap then pump it up to make it fast if that's what you want. But Nissan nor Acura will ever be able to get around that bargain name tag. Their out of their league. It's like the Nissan is Target where the Lexus is Saks 5th. No comparison! Next topic gentlemen.

------------------

·
Registered
187 Posts
when you get your head out of your ass and your readdy to have a normal conversation let me know... you sound like an arrogant little prick..

Originally posted by 4yoazz:
Now this has to be the most ridiculous forum ever thought of. Next it will be the Saturn owners coming on here talking crazy. By name alone the Maxima is inferior. Nissan vs Lexus, what a joke. That's the reason BMW and MB can require more money because of the status and prestige that go along with their cars. Not just the performance. Hell, you can get almost any car for cheap then pump it up to make it fast if that's what you want. But Nissan nor Acura will ever be able to get around that bargain name tag. Their out of their league. It's like the Nissan is Target where the Lexus is Saks 5th. No comparison! Next topic gentlemen.

·
Registered
187 Posts
don't get out of your skin because your driving a leather, overpriced corrolla

Originally posted by 4yoazz:

21 - 40 of 136 Posts