Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why buy a 215 hp automatic 2001 Lexus IS300 for like 30+ grand when you can get a 227 horsepower 5 speed manual Loaded Nissan Maxima Anniversary edition for less?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I guess it's like buying Doc Martens rather than Skechers. Its a matter of preference.... and what's important in a car. If speed is most important, why not get a $21,500 Z28? Anyways, I think I've been talkin' with Maxima people too much. I kinda miss talkin' about CLs and Bimmers. Well, not really.

[This message has been edited by DJ (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Haul Maximus:
Why buy a 215 hp automatic 2001 Lexus IS300 for like 30+ grand when you can get a 227 horsepower 5 speed manual Loaded Nissan Maxima Anniversary edition for less?

Because IMHO the Max is ugly as hell (rear end) and handles like sh!t...Now that I have a RWD car I would never go back to FWD. Also, I don't want a stick for a daily commuter car.

Lexus warranty and service kicks Nissan's A$$.

Where are all of these Max owners coming from? We don't mind newbies but pulease be constructive in your posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Greetings maxima owner.

Both are great cars. I wouldn't mind owning either of them, or any car for the matter.

But, I don't see a comparison between a maxima and an IS. They are of different classes. I think the solara, tl, cl, are in the same class as the maxima. Which one of those are the best? I have no idea.

Note: There will always be cars that are cheaper and faster than the one you own.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

[This message has been edited by crontab (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maxima is still in the same class as the IS, only the IS is in the Luxury class. Both are 4 door mid-size sedans.
Maxima's come in auto and 5spd.
For the several thousands in price difference, I would get a complete after market suspention for probably less then a grand and make it handle just as well as the IS if not better. 5th generation maxima's aren't really ugly, tail lights look weird but so do the ones on the IS. IS300 is a RWD Toyota with pretty rims and a higher price tag. Lexus being a Luxury brand will cost more to repair. Why not take the thousands price difference, pocket it and get some goodies for your maxima (ex. Supercharger)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Why not take the thousands price difference, pocket it and get some goodies for your maxima (ex. Supercharger)

Guess I could have done that...but when I test drove the two cars back to back I came away with the opinion that the Lexus was in a class above in the handling, braking, smoothness of the transmission and looks department. Plus, after having driven a Maxima for eight years I was looking something more sporty, new and well, exclusive (for the time being anyway).

·
Registered
43 Posts
well lets look at the pros and cons.

IS300

pros:
nicer to look at
good engine
RWD
5 spd is available (in 2001)
great handling right out of the box

cons:
price
the rear lights have been bitten and keeps getting bit.
only autos are available right now.

maxima:

pros:
great engine

cons:
ugly car (IMHO)
the 5 speed is nothing to write home about
rear beam suspension
FWD

The I30 which is in the same price range as the IS300 is more on the same luxury level than the maxima. You get very simillar creature comforts as the IS300 but you still have the crap rear beam suspension and FWD. The maxima is more or less nissan's car against V6 accords and camry's

these are straight out the box comparissons. yeah so you can get a max to go faster and handle better with the money you save. but that's the same thing as getting an S13 240SX for 3K and fixing it up with the money you save. you get what you pay for.

jamie...

------------------
#94STS -- Houston Region SCCA
'94 Civic SI
'92 Civic SI (parts car) - gone now
'84 BMW 325e
http://www.conecrazy.com

[This message has been edited by jamie (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why not a maxima?

Because it's a freaking maxima. When your budget is in the 30+K range, you don't go looking for a maxima.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Personally, I think the Maxima vs IS300 is one of the better "comparisons" out there right now.

Personally, I picked the IS300 because it was more fun to drive, felt more solid, and felt more refined (comfortable). Plus the extra few thousand $ wasn't going to be the deciding factor for me.

I would have picked the Maxima if the following were true:
1> I needed a little more space
2> I needed to save a little money
3> Front wheel drive was fine with me

·
Registered
446 Posts
I HAD a maxima... To me these cars are night and day. Okay maybe not night and day but the IS is on a higher level. RWD is a whole different car to me. Its almost like just learning how to drive again. The maxima has power! I can feel the power in my max.. I can't feel the power in the IS, very smooth. I have to look to see how fast im going. Maxima can't compete with styling but its style has grown on me. Over all the Maxima is a nice car. Which would you choose Nissan or Lexus? If I didn't have the money for the LEX I would have got a MAX! no question And if I had more to spend I would have waited on the M3. But only being 22 i'll wait my turn.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Originally posted by crontab:
Greetings maxima owner.

But, I don't see a comparison between a maxima and an IS. They are of different classes. I think the solara, tl, cl, are in the same class as the maxima. Which one of those are the best? I have no idea.

Note: There will always be cars that are cheaper and faster than the one you own.

-crontab -l

Hey, when are you guys gonna give up this "they can't be compared b/c they're in a different class" crap. In the grand scheme of things they are both cars, so yes, in fact, they can be compared! I understand not comparing a grapefruit to an IS300, but come on, let's be real. Besides, you should show a little respect to the Maxima--it was, after all, probably the first affordable, decent-handling 4-door sportscar on the market. Therefore, IT ABSOLUTELY IS COMPARABLE TO THE IS300! Let's see--Maxima has no RWD, but is still faster than the IS300. IS300 has no manual transmission but handles better than the Maxima. Seems like a fair comparison to me. Personally it would be a lot easier and cheaper to make the Maxima handle like the IS300 than to make the IS300 as fast as the Maxima.

[This message has been edited by Falken (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
442 Posts
For the several thousands in price difference, I would get a complete after market suspention for probably less then a grand and make it handle just as well as the IS if not better.
Since we are talking about this, I could buy a 4 dorr integra(if thats a mid sized thing) and build it to run circles around AND smoke a maxima. Then I'd STILL have money left over, maybe i could put on some neon lights or something. Does that mean I get to compare it to a Maxima and IS?? Probably not.

Seriously, front of the Maxima looks good...the rear reminds me too much of a Dodge Neon. Just thinking about that gives me chills....

[This message has been edited by GPR (edited November 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by GPR (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a friend from work that is a Maxima devotee. As a matter of fact, his family owns 3-4 Maximas (his father has one, one of his brothers has 2, I think another brother has one as well). He swears by the Max's reliability and value.

But anyway, the Max should probably compare to all the other 4 door FWD sedans than the IS300. In that regard, the Max is probably one of the best out there (especially with the rumour of the 3.5L Maxima that's suppose to come out in 2001).

There was an newspaper article from a columnist that participated in a local stock car racing (don't ask me the details, because I don't remember). He was impressed with the Max and said it didn't need too much mod to get the car race ready. It was good right out of the box.

On another note, I think maybe it's about time that Toyota increased the displacement of their 3.0 L I-6 rather than trying to get extra power from either a turbo or a supercharger. I know that's probably more expensive, but wouldn't that be a better way to update this engine?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't know... don't forget about the Acura CL Type S that is cheaper and has 260hp. Funny thing is that I would STILL rather have the IS300..

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
they are not in the same class..neither are they the same size. i have both cars...the maxima gets more kick..but the IS out handles it...straight line..maxima will beat the IS...around the corner..the maxima is striving to keep up.

Maxima is still in the same class as the IS, only the IS is in the Luxury class. Both are 4 door mid-size sedans.
Maxima's come in auto and 5spd.
For the several thousands in price difference, I would get a complete after market suspention for probably less then a grand and make it handle just as well as the IS if not better. 5th generation maxima's aren't really ugly, tail lights look weird but so do the ones on the IS. IS300 is a RWD Toyota with pretty rims and a higher price tag. Lexus being a Luxury brand will cost more to repair. Why not take the thousands price difference, pocket it and get some goodies for your maxima (ex. Supercharger)

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i drove an auto maxima, for a rental, last month, and it was pathetic, moms oldsmobile felt faster than that thing. i don't know if the 5 speed is any different, but the autos feel like they have 150hp, not 220+ . plus the IS is much sportier looking.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
43 Participants
bty
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing