Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fitment question.

I have Volk GTP's that are 18x8-45off and I'd like to go as wide of a tire as possible without rubbing and I don't want to roll the fenders. I've had 225's on it all around and it was fine. Could I get 235's all around or should I put 225 on the front and maybe 245's on the rear?

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
IS_Dude said:
fitment question.

I have Volk GTP's that are 18x8-45off and I'd like to go as wide of a tire as possible without rubbing and I don't want to roll the fenders. I've had 225's on it all around and it was fine. Could I get 235's all around or should I put 225 on the front and maybe 245's on the rear?
I have the same 18x8 - 44 offset all around and I'm running 225/40 and 245/35 Toyo T1-S without any mods or rubbing. I would be very doubtful that u can run a 235 in front w/o rubbing and will most likely bang up the fender when cornering hard. Anything larger than a 245 in the rear w/o rolling would also rub as the tire has no more than 1-2mm clearance, if that.

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.. I think I'll get the 225 up front to play it safe and maybe the 245's out back.. I'll put my wheels back on tonight and check out the gaps to see if I'll have a problem. If it looks to close I'll just get 235's.

I need a new set for the AutoCross school this month so I need to decide quick.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
IS_Dude said:
thanks guys.. I think I'll get the 225 up front to play it safe and maybe the 245's out back.. I'll put my wheels back on tonight and check out the gaps to see if I'll have a problem. If it looks to close I'll just get 235's.

I need a new set for the AutoCross school this month so I need to decide quick.
245's are too big in my opinion - and that's what I've got. They're actually rubbing in the back (lowered about 1" with Hotchkis springs) - I need to either roll/trim the fender or get smaller tires! They actually fit up front, though they stick out past the fender (some wouldn't call that fitting).

I wish there was a 235/40/17 Azenis. But, no...

(To clarify my posts a bit. I have 235/40/18 all around on 18x8 for street tires. I have 17x8 SSR Comps for race stires on which I just mounted 245/45/17 Azenis.)

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. Yeah, maybe I'll just go w/ the 235's then on the rear and 225's up front. I just wanted a little more rubber in the back for traction. I'll mount up my current wheels w/ 225's and see what the deal is and see how much room I have to spare.

you can probably get better sizing options on the MX's if you wanted to try them next time Tony.

·
Registered
138 Posts
hopefully in a week or so i will get my rims 18x8 45offset. I plan on doing 235/40/18 all around. I search on this topic before and some .netter are running this setup and they aren't rubbing. I am drop on eibach pro kit.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
webmaster said:
I have 235's up front, but I think I have an odd-offset wheel.
What is your wheel offset?

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
CleanIsLEx said:
hopefully in a week or so i will get my rims 18x8 45offset. I plan on doing 235/40/18 all around. I search on this topic before and some .netter are running this setup and they aren't rubbing. I am drop on eibach pro kit.
I don't believe a 235 on that size wheel can fit in front with the proper clearance. At full lock and with the suspension compressed, the tire will definitely meet the fender.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
TeCKis300 said:
webmaster said:
I have 235's up front, but I think I have an odd-offset wheel.
What is your wheel offset?
I don't know, I'll have to look. But it definitely fits. That's not to say at full lock with the suspension fully compressed it won't hit the fender - but that hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Another thing to consider for you autox guys is cornering balance. Definitely avoid too much staggar front vs rear as this will cause the car to understeer. This can be adjusted to a point with sways and suspension tuning. You'll ultimately want a car that is slightly biased towards oversteer then understeer for autox.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Newton-IS300 said:
on my new rims
i got 18x7.5 in front and am running 225/40/18
and for rear i got 18x8 and running 255/35/18
and i aint rubbing at all. no fenders rolled either.
so u can go bigger then 245, cuase i am
-Ramin
You are not giving us a key piece of information.... offset.

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Sizes

BrandonTirerack said:
235/35 18 works all the way around. 255/35 18 is fine but may require a roll, assuming correct offsets 40-50 range.
I want Kumho MX's though. I ordered them and one of your tire rack buds called me back(Collin???) and cationed against that size so I said the hell w/ it just send 4 225's and I'll deal w/ it next time. I wanted the 235/40/18 in the back though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.