Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Current status: Car is at my very good friend's shop because #4 injector was staying stuck open. Bought new injector, getting it flow tested.

Car may be up for sale.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been on the fence about continuing this thread without any disrespect to Matt Reece. He's Definitely a standup guy and built a well rounded car. I'm currently the owner of this car, although my ownership hasn't been long (Feb 2018). I wanted to make sure to document this build as time allows while keeping the mods tasteful. So where we go...

This IS300 was def super quick, being a stock tq converter. I had to baby it when doing street pulls. From past conversations with the Previous Owner Matt. the car was built to be a 1/4 mile car (cam profiles, turbo size, th400 plans) which was great platform to continue on. I wanted this to be more street driven to work, coffee meets, picking up kids etc. So I began scaling this car down to fit the goals I wanted
  • Replacing cams kelford 202d non vvti -> BC264 vvti cams
  • Replacing 12 tooth GTE trigger wheel -> GE 32 tooth trigger wheel vvti + vvti Cam Gear rebuilt @ Powerhouseracing
  • Replacing ISC suspension 10k/8k -> KW V3s 800lbs springs (swapping spring setup soon)
  • Replacing straight pipe exhaust -> custom 3" + magnaflow racepac muffler
+ Radium dual catch cans -10AN fittings and lines
- Replacing SRT auto trans + tq converter -> cd009 trans + collins kit + Serialnine shifter

Got a nice Sony Double din and Defi BF 60mm imperial gauges + TRD gauge pod holder

Magnflow Racepac muffler and custom tip

·
Registered
16 Posts
After a few months of driving the car (Swapping from SUV 2-3times a week) pulls were getting weaker at the top end of the rpm. I figured it may be the torque converter giving or Transmission, looked into the transmission cooler for adequate flow. A few days later pulled the trans later to find the stock torque converter prob didn't hold up to the torque the car was putting out. And so began car refresh for Summer 2018

Isn't enough space during this period, Staging my house while trying to sell and home shopping as well. Swapping out cams, Crank trigger wheel, ABS relocation block, more gauges and things to floss with

Had a fiasco with ASE (autosport engineering) 6months awaiting cd009 adapter plate, fittings, and t56 tob. Ended up returning the kit back to Doyen Brown, and ordered a collins kit. Which got to my house in 10 days with a custom driveshaft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cd009 wasn't my 1st choice (t56 or maybe ar5) but for the price and local sale, couldn't really pass it up. The factory transmission tunnel (Don't care what collins says) was too narrow. I eventually had to beat out the tunnel for the additional clearance for cd009 transmission case, where the firewall begins. Transmission yolk and shifter location was pretty spot on. So for the overall swap process it wasn't horrible, pretty straightforward. only thing you have to lookout for was the Transmission input shaft alignment. But as long as you shop at one place, collins, ASE, maverick, etc their flywheel, adapter plate, and pivot bearing should be sufficient. Don't mix and match parts from each kit, I can tell you those components are each designed differently.

That collins Driveshaft and cd009 yoke is $$$ fitment was so good, tight spacing but definitely satisfying

I went with a SerialNine CD999 shifter with sk3 shift knob. Had to cut 1" of sheet metal around the housing just to clear the base of the shifter. These shifters come with weights internally, user can just swap out the weights for desired throw.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cams installed, Being how this is a usdm GTE block and IS300 GE head. swapping out to a different cam setup wasn't an easy walk in the park. Going from Non vvti to Vvti meant going back to 2006, since Non vvti setups were popular prior to 2012-ish due to available tunning for vvti intake cams. Ideally you would want a higher degree cam like the 272/278 cams for better positioning and adjustability for higher gains in higher rpms, overall loosing lower end torque down low. Some of the things that differ from a newer style cam like a BC264 or GSC S1/S2 would be:
  • Oem cam position sensor on GE head is 2, in order to get these kelfords 202d cams to work would be to grind off and weld 1st trigger dowel on intake cams. thus running a single cam position cam sensor via Haltech
  • unplug and re-run vvit oil line, feeding the port housing the vvti cam solenoid
  • Replace Supra GTE crank trigger wheel 12 tooth. Replace it with 32 tooth wheel GE trigger wheel for Cams, CPS, and crank to sync. Thus keeping the vvti timing on point, will require retune on Haltech ECU :-/
  • Rebuilt Vvti cam gear by PowerHouse Racing, new seals, o-ring, and powder coated
-New gates timing belt and PHR pulleys

I'd like to think I'm a purist, but I just had to revamp the intake manifold. Got this rare intake manifold coated and cleaned up. Also manage to get the piping done as well, wrinkle black is timeless

·
Registered
636 Posts
I missed this build thread, but glad to see it continued and improved. I spy some GTE cam covers on that GE head. It’s gonna be a nice ride when it’s done. What diff ratio will you be going with? The cd009 would benefit from a 3.55 or lower.

Had a bad experience with ASE myself, not as expensive as transmission parts though. Bought a set of sequential spark coil brackets for the 1NZ Yaris coils for my GTE. There’s three unique brackets...but he kept sending me 2 of the same one. Long story short I never got the correct ones but I made them work. The parts look/work great but I couldn’t recommend them because he couldn’t ship the correct parts to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Kris OK currently on M85 manual lsd, I'm looking and researching diff options now. Just wanted to putt around the car this summer and figure out how the cd009 as I go along. I'm about 3 days of getting this car running, The corona virus stuff is helping me work from home. So I'm anticipating real progress in the next 2 wks

81 - 100 of 115 Posts