Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am i looking at money wise doing matinence work on a 2001-2002 lexus is300 for the whole year.Also anyone have satellite radio in their is300s if so where did you mount your antenna for it?

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
What do u mean by "maintenance work for the whole year"??? Can u clarify.....are u talking about the service maintenance intervals??

·
Registered
431 Posts
I guess I kind of have a smiliar question, being that I just got a '01 is300 for $9,500 with 100,xxx miles on it and Im not sure what kind of things I should be doing to take care of it. My last car was a vw so its a little differnt....I love the is.....

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Well even with over 100k on the clock, IS like most Toyotas will be solid as rock if properly maintained.

One thing I would do, assuming that you just got the car, is to check if you had the Timing Belt changed. If not than I would do that soon, and that will probably be the biggest expense of them all. I know if the dealer did the T.Belt they usually put a sticker on the T.Belt cover with date and milage of the Service, so that's should be easy to find. Than I would look into all the fluids, mainly Trans. Fluid, Get that flushed or get the pan dropped and cleaned would probably be a better option. Next on my list would of been Engine Coolant, do that as well. Those should be the Major things that you should look into doing ASAP in order to help the car perform and last for long time to come. Also check the Air Filter. There are other things that you might look into but I would do the things that I mentioned first.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Gilky115 said:
What am i looking at money wise doing matinence work on a 2001-2002 lexus is300 for the whole year.Also anyone have satellite radio in their is300s if so where did you mount your antenna for it?
What's the Milage on your IS300?
Well maintained IS300 will last for long without causing you any unescesary out of pocket expenses. The higher the milage on the IS300 it will cost you slightly more on the begining, like if you are at 90k it will cost you a lot to get the T. Belt changed, and your other fluids, but after that it's just oil changes basically.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have one as of yet i just was wondering what i would need to get done and how much it might run me through out the years. Im just curious because i have an audi right now and all i ever do is put money into that car and i dont want to do that again. Im looking at getting one with around 50,000 miles on it, any suggestions to what i should look for and have done when i purchase the car.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Gilky115 said:
I dont have one as of yet i just was wondering what i would need to get done and how much it might run me through out the years. Im just curious because i have an audi right now and all i ever do is put money into that car and i dont want to do that again. Im looking at getting one with around 50,000 miles on it, any suggestions to what i should look for and have done when i purchase the car.
Let me assure you that this car is not like Audi, it's a lot more reliable. If it has been maintained it will last for long time. I would suggest 2002+

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the info, I just got mine a week ago, but I havent really had the time to get those things done cause of finals....but i know that the T.belt was replaced at around 60k so that should be fine for now...ill look into the fluids

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Gilky115 said:
if your lookin to get a car thats around 50,000 miles be prepared for the 60k service...

heres a link of some of the main things that are done.
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=256162

·
Registered
182 Posts
congrats on the new IS!!!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
4frogger said:
Thanks for the info, I just got mine a week ago, but I havent really had the time to get those things done cause of finals....but i know that the T.belt was replaced at around 60k so that should be fine for now...ill look into the fluids
Why at 60k :wtf:
Doesn't Lexus recommend 90k?
Kind of early if you ask me. And don't tell me cause the dealer said so, they are in business to make money. They try to scare the shit out of you with stuff like T.Belt, this isn't Daewoo, this is Toyota ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Pawel said:
Kind of early if you ask me. And don't tell me cause the dealer said so, they are in business to make money. They try to scare the shit out of you with stuff like T.Belt, this isn't Daewoo, this is Toyota ;)
I agree that that is early for the timing belt to be replaced. Whatever. At least it was done.

·
Registered
182 Posts
They try to scare the shit out of you with stuff like T.Belt, this isn't Daewoo, this is Toyota

ahaha good point :bigSmile:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Pawel said:

Dunno, but then again I wasnt the one who replaced it, nor did I even own the car at that time, I just got mine....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts