Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got done ripping out my interior. Thought the carpet was the most annoying thing to get out. I'm gonna put a layer of mat and then a layer of foam on the floor.

Are there any areas I should not cover up? Any idea what those rubber hole covers are?

Any areas I should put more on?

If I can get my hands on a camera I'll take some pics.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
every car audio guy I've asked said put mat first, then some foam. Of course, they also said if you want total dampening, put mat first, then one thin layer of foam, then another layer of mat, then foam again. That totally decouples the floor, but it also seems like it would be quite a thick layer of materials......

·
Registered
150 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but the mat needs to attach to metal so it can properly absorb the vibrations.

thus, you should not bond it to foam.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
I myself use the spray to do the floor area first, then I use a heavy duty foam material with a lead spectum wall. The spray or mat if you choose will add mass to the metal of the floor to reduce natural vibration and the foam will help absorb stray sounds for a much deader cabin area.

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/vb35.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, I'm doing mat and then some closed cell foam. Can I just cover the entire floor, or are there things I shouldn't cover?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its normally recomended to do mat first, as the mat is supposed to be adhered to metal, to add mass and deaden any vibrations/rattling. The foam should be laid on top of the mat, and I would recommend doing at least a couple layer on the floor/firewall, as that where alot of road and engine noise will come from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts