Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like www.lexus.ca is marketing the new IS as "The Fasest Lexus Ever." according to their flash display.

The lexus.ca site now also has the their Build Configurator up and running.

·
Registered
482 Posts
J.El said:
No not really...
Out of curiosity what Lexus model woud you consider to have been more overpriced?

I guess one can make a good argument about the new GS...it is up there as well. The IS250 rwd/awd though...I cant think of any Lexus model that has been more overpriced. The IS350 is a bit better but still should be a bit cheaper than 49K base and 60K loaded.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Why is the new IS over priced? The new IS has a lot more content in it than the previous generation. These things can't be added for free.

·
Registered
482 Posts
An AWD IS250 with ventilated seats and a moonroof shouldnt cost 47 grand...a loaded IS250 AWD shouldnt top out at 54 grand when you can get a loaded TL for under 47K and it will kill the 250 in any test...and you cant get the ML dvd-audio system in the 250.

If you truly think the car isnt overpriced then hey, more power to you. As you may have noticed with the car world, base prices of cars generally go down in price from year to year and when you add features the prices dont usually change much from the past year. Yes the IS can be had with a lot of features but the base prices are insane. I didnt expect the IS350 loaded to be the same high 40 price of the IS300 but I didnt expect 60 grand. Low 50s would have made sense and I guarantee you they could ahve released it at that price but they feel they are in BMW pricing territory now so that is why it is 60K loaded.

The IS250 RWD/AWD though shouldnt be more than 47K loaded with nav which btw is a feature you cant get on the 250 rwd. The car is slow and offers no handling improvement over the outgoing IS.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Rob... the base price of an IS250 RWD is LESS than the base price of the IS300. And although the engine displacement is lower... the performance is similar... and you get much more luxury.

·
Registered
482 Posts
no, you really dont get much more luxury...you only get much more luxury when you start whipping on the options...and the car is a pig. Have you driven it yet?

Once again, you can get a better performing TL for less than a loaded IS250. Same with the G35.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Crester said:
Rob... the base price of an IS250 RWD is LESS than the base price of the IS300. And although the engine displacement is lower... the performance is similar... and you get much more luxury.
The performance has been downgraded, the 250 is sluggish off the line and doesn't handle as well as an IS300. Yes, there is more content in the base model, but I think it should have been priced competitively with the TSX, $27k (USD) to start.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I believe he's referring to the fact that loaded, the IS250 RWD is $47,371 (base 36,3 as we all know). No one is saying you don't get a lot of features/luxury, just that comparitively (you know, to other cars in the market), it's a pretty high price. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Clearly it is to you, and I look forward to seeing pics of your IS250/350 when you pick it up.

We've had this conversation a number of times in different threads. You can justify the price of the IS250 in many ways (luxury, options, refinement, expensive GS platform, made in the worlds most renowned factory, etc..etc..) that doesn't change the fact that a loaded TSX (with most of the same options and luxury, and similar power) costs $36,600 minus nav, and $38,800 with nav. If you want to be whacky you can add A-spec, 18 inch wheels, a wood grain kit, all season mats, a clear bra, and door guards, and still under under $45,500. Yes, the TSX is FWD, yes, it is a re-badged euro accord, and yes, the IS is a completely new Lexus only car. But the fact remains that they handle similarly, they have similar power and gas mileage, and comparable refinement, luxury, etc.. It's just hard to hear all that and still come to terms with 47k for an IS250 with the sports package.

So is it overpriced? I guess that's up to you. I think it is, but the prices will come down and folsk may be able to get a deal on them next year.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Rob L said:
As you may have noticed with the car world, base prices of cars generally go down in price from year to year and when you add features the prices dont usually change much from the past year.
What? What car world are you refering to? Mars?

Lexus raised base prices when the new gen ES came out. The new gen RX, GS, etc.

Honda raised the base price of their new civic.

Oh, and the SC430 is the most overpriced Lexus. It doesn't offer a single advantage over their competitors at that price.

Don't get all butt-hurt because MSRP prices aren't as aggressive as you hoped. OTD prices will drop. Can a fully loaded IS250 be had at around 30k? Of course. The IS300 was 36-39K OTD when it came out. A year later people were getting them at 31-32. Then 29-30.

Or does this not exist in your car world.

·
Registered
482 Posts
rubley said:
The performance has been downgraded, the 250 is sluggish off the line and doesn't handle as well as an IS300. Yes, there is more content in the base model, but I think it should have been priced competitively with the TSX, $27k (USD) to start.
EXACTLY

A loaded TSX here costs 40 grand...the IS250 should have been based much lower.

I love how some casually blow off the fact that the IS250 is slow and figure that shouldnt matter. The frigign ES330 is quicker and for basically the same price as the IS250 AT base you get a hell of a lot more standard stuff.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Rob L said:
no, you really dont get much more luxury...you only get much more luxury when you start whipping on the options...and the car is a pig. Have you driven it yet?

Once again, you can get a better performing TL for less than a loaded IS250. Same with the G35.
I have driven the IS250... and it's not a pig... unless you consider the IS300 a pig as well??? :suspiciou

And the IS250 is much better outfitted than the TL and G35. The new IS makes the interior of the TL and G35 look like a Kia. And the performance isn't that bad either. You feel the size of the TL much more than the IS250.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
You Canadians are silly.

The most overpriced Lexus is easily the ES3xx. Or at least thats what everyone outside of the Lexus family thinks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
crontab said:

Oh, and the SC430 is the most overpriced Lexus. It doesn't offer a single advantage over their competitors at that price.

Don't get all butt-hurt because MSRP prices aren't as aggressive as you hoped. OTD prices will drop. Can a fully loaded IS250 be had at around 30k? Of course. The IS300 was 36-39K OTD when it came out. A year later people were getting them at 31-32. Then 29-30.

Sorry...if they dont change anything on the car then base prices usually drop. If they change a lot of stuff (ie the models you mention) then base prices may rise a bit but the standard equipment is usually much better. The new IS doesnt have anything drastic in standard equip over the previous gen to warrant the price. The current ES lists for I think 39 grand here base...the previous gen ES loaded was like 42...and the base ES now has way more stuff. A loaded IS250 costs more than the previous gen IS but it doesnt offer all that much more.

And I am talking about the fucking CDN prices dude...try and notice where i live and the thread we are in.:) In the U.S. the IS prices arent as bad but here in Canada they are horrid. People live and function outside of the U.S....I realize that may be tough to grasp.

I guess it was my abd to assume people could understand I am talking about the CDn market which is diff than the U.S. market...

·
Registered
482 Posts
magoo said:
You Canadians are silly.

The most overpriced Lexus is easily the ES3xx. Or at least thats what everyone outside of the Lexus family thinks.
how is the ES the most overpriced Lexus? For the base price of the ES330 you get a hell of a lot more stuff than the IS250. Maybe the prices are diff there in the U.S. but here in Canada the ES is priced much better than the IS250.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
ES compared to its counterpart, the Camry.

You are an idiot. It was a joke. Everyone says that the $20k or so in difference is absolutely not worth it. Whereas there is no counterpart of the IS and arguably the LS or GS, whichever you think was derived from the Avalon (I think GS).

·
Registered
23,822 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
crontab said:

Just so you know the MSRP in Canada on the 06 Civic has gone
DOWN by $400.

j

1 - 20 of 44 Posts