Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several cars over the years. Some had manual transmission and some, automatic. Which do I like better? We'll it's a toss up. It's not a matter of what's better, it's a matter of getting sick of one or the other. Interesting enough, after owning a car with a manual transmission, I'll buy an Auto next time and then switch again. When I have the manual, I get sick of switching gears and holding down the clutch in traffic and when I have the auto, I miss the involvement of the manual tranny. I've had my GS400 Lexus for two years now and I'm starting to miss shifting the gears... I'm now seriously considering an M5 BMW (which is only available with a 6 speed). Anyways, to get to my point.... Go ahead and get the IS300 automatic this year and trade it in for the stick shift later, once you're sick of that automatic....
Eric....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Eric, I don't know how to drive a stick but the whole process turned me off. That's why I never learned. I like to use one foot when I drive and do as little work as possible when I drive. I don't wanna be bothered with shifting, steering, putting one foot on the gas AND the clutch. I like automatics, especially in heavy traffic. It's easier to use. You know it's funny how most people in here gripe about no manual for the IS300, but yet most cars sold in the U.S....sports cars and others, are automatics. And also, some people that gripe about it, still have deposits down for an automatic. Funny.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree Kim, especially in traffic it's a pain to shift those gears and hold in the clutch....and about sports cars... Only 15-20 % of Corvettes have Manual Trannys. That's why I'm wondering whether to go ahead and order the M5 or just wait 2 years for the GS430. Traffic in Bethesda is bad and I love the automatic in my GS400... When I feel like having fun I just use the E-shift....
Eric....
ps... How was that Movie... worth seeing?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Unfortunately, most cars sold in the U.S. are automatic because people don't want to learn. Elsewhere, especially Europe, the ratio of manuals to automatics is quite high. The E36 M3 was supposed to be manual only, but since a lot of U.S. customers griped about no automatic, BMW gave in and offered an automatic M3.

Sometimes I hate driving in rush hour with an automatic because the stop and go causes the car to constantly hunt for gears (usually 1st and 2nd). This bothers me because it causes the car to lurch, and I get carsick easily during rush hour.

So...the compromise is a semi-manual automatic. But the majority of manumatic transmissions are automatic-based and have their limitations. But I think technology like the Ferrari F1 gearbox and Alfa's Selespeed will eventually trickle down to more (affordable) cars. After all, Toyota did tease the public with a sequential gearbox for the MR2 Spyder.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's all about personal preference and getting sick of either transmission. I think the majority of people that like driving stick, don't like it during rush hour. I surely don't.... The Lexus automatic transmission has been hailed as "one of the best ever" in auto magazines and it does very nicely in traffic... The F1 shifter in the Ferrari F355 and F360 modena has been criticized for being horribly abrupt, (much more so than the actual stick shift because of clutch modulation). It still needs to be perfected...
Eric.....

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
The Lexus automatic transmission has been hailed as "one of the best ever" in auto magazines and it does very nicely in traffic...
I agree, my mother's '92 ES300 is quite smooth when it shifts and usually downshifts when I want it to.
The ECT Power mode is quite fun to use as well.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you think the transmission in your mom's 92 ES300 is nice, then you'll absolutely LOVE the 5speed automatic transmission in the IS300. ... Before I bought the GS400 I had the old GS300 which had the 4speed automatic transmission. I thought that was the greatest tranny till I got the GS400's new 5 speed automatic. It's definitely smoother than the 5 speed auto in my father's 2000 740iL.... you'll see what I mean

Eric...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Hehehe...I used to myself that if the IS wasn't going to come out with a manual, at least it had E-shift!

I figure that if I was using E-shift, I would use it on the freeway to downshift and pass.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I want a CVT...

Well, I guess I would be happy with a manual
if all the traffic would go away!

EricK - I think I am with you - I am finally
getting tired of shifting in traffic to
the point where I am willing to put up
with an auto for some years - then maybe
I will go back to manual again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am finally
getting tired of shifting in traffic to
the point where I am willing to put up
with an auto for some years - then maybe
I will go back to manual again.[/B][/QUOTE]

TEG, don't you have a supercharged MR-2? I don't think you need anything else. You already got a nice weekend getaway car. The performance of the IS300 is just a bonus for your current family life style.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep... So if I get really frustrated
with the auto on the IS300 I can
dust of the MR2 and punish my wrist
and left foot for a while...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TEG,
You have the factory supercharged MR-2 right? I was wondering why in the world did Toyota go from Supercharger to Turbocharger with the generation right after yours.. Superchargers are so much better than turbochargers and are the way of the future... Turbochargers will phase out and Superchargers will phase in.....
Eric

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I agree that superchargers are better.
Toyota kept making superchargers on
the previa minivan...

I have often wondered why the 2nd gen
MR2 went with a turbo instead of a supercharger.

My best guess is this:

1> 1st Gen MR2 didn't have room for a turbo
so they used the S/C as a way to squeeze
more power into that narrow engine bay.
2> 2nd Gen MR2 went with a turbo because the
bean counters said "you get more HP for less $
with a turbo than with a supercharger."

But this is just wild speculation.
I don't know what process is used to
get engines from the drivetrain engineering
labs into the actual cars.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well, it really comes down to how you like to drive. I don't care what auto you have, there are limitations to how it behaves. If you are on a backroad and just want to leave it in second gear, you can in a manual (bouncing off the rev limiter if you want). You don't have that freedom with an auto.

For the serious enthusiast, there is only one choice. I recall reading a review of the Modena and at the end the editors commented that although the F1 style shifter is novel, it still takes away from the Ferrari experience and they would opt for a manual.

BMW has sold a lot of M5's because they offer a 6 speed. BTW Eric, went for a drive this weekend with 5 new M5's and three old ones. Let's just say we had some fun.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S38,
I am considering placing an order for a new M5. I haven't driven the car yet, but I have read the reviews in the auto magazines. What's your impression of the M5? Is there a BIG difference between the M5 and the 540i 6-speed....?
Eric.....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Eric, go to bwmm5.com e39 messageboard. Lots of ex 540i owners and they say BIG difference. The extra 118 horsepower is going to make a big difference at high rpm. A friend drove one and said it pulls from a stop to redline with no noticeable drop in power at all. All this with luxury to match.

It is, like any real //M engine (i.e. not the E36 M3), a highly-tuned engine and may have its share of quirks, but if you aren't getting one for a year or so I would assume some bugs may be ironed out. It has eight throttle bodies like older M engines and Ferraris. The E36 M3 was just a bored and stroked 328i. My car is also multiple throttle body which accounts for its 330hp from 3.6 liters. The difference is, the new M5 has torque to match. Really beautiful cars and faster than anything in its class that isn't supercharged (well, the E55 is about equal but a slushbox, bleh).

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
S38, it's interesting when you put the E55 against the M5 on the track. The E holds a higher speed around the turns while the M takes advantage of the stick and lurches from corner to corner. And the M wins by a narrow margin with two unique driving techniques. If I had the money I would take the E. It's the best damn sedan (all around) on the market.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to disagree that Superchargers are better than turbochargers. Although superchargers provide better torque and no lag, the belt driven by the engine takes away power. You can get higher boost out of a turbo without taking power from the engine.

As a Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo owner, I have to defend the Turbocharger.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Adebisi,
Superchargers give more consistant performance than turbochargers.... A few years ago I had a Twin Turbo 300ZX. If you look at the performance specs in various magazines there are big discrepencies in performance times... Motortrend tested the car from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds... Road & Track tested the car in warm weather in 6.5 seconds. When I had my Turbo Z, it was VERY VERY fast in cold weather but it was much slower in warm weather....
Eric....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Turbos rob engine power too...
Not directly from the crank, but by
putting extra back pressure on the
exhaust system.

If you took a car - and replaced the
header with a turbo manifold, and then
just plugged up the turbo outlet
(don't allow any boost to get to the engine)
your engine would make less power than
it did with the stock manifold.

I supposed we could get in a big debate
over Turbo vs Supercharger...

I just like Superchargers alot more...
Sorry I stated my opinion as "fact"
when i said "superchargers are better".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
8 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing