Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my car second hand and it has 107k miles on it now. It's in absolutely mint condition and the previous owner always had it serviced at the dealership.

I'm not sure if a tranny fluid change is on the dealers radar... I couldn't find a record of it being done so I decided to do it myself today with Redline MT90.

*Note: The car shifted perfectly and was smooth, noise free, and went into all gears very nicely.

I got a huge surprise when I dumped the fluid tonight. It was extremely viscous (almost watery) and was a dark grey color. Both the fill and the drain plugs were filled with junk (they have a little recess built into them). The drain plug had metal shavings :( and a lot of grey sludge in it. The fill plug just had the sludge in it.

I drove the car around with the new MT90 in it and didn't notice any difference. It seems easier to get into first gear when rolling slightly but that may be my imagination.

I also switched to full synthetic engine oil today. Didn't notice a difference there either lol.

Anyway, the moral of the story is... if you haven't changed the transmission fluid on your manual transmission IS then get out there and do it!

Reactions: chrisridebike8

·
Registered
820 Posts
I haven't done mine yet (only had it little over a month), but I am actually doing it tomorrow if I can find the oil I'm looking for...

My tranny is over all decent haha, not great, but it has its issues, 5th gear synchro is a little jacked, if you quickly put it in gear coming from 4th you can like feel the gear, no grinds but you can feel the gear it seems like. My 2nd gear is kind of like that also every once and a while, but if you double clutch going into either of these gears its fine.

Nobody around here has Redline, but I think I'll be running Amsoil. I will also be changing the differential oil too. I'll post back with my results...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put 140 miles on the car/oil tonight.

Impressions:

1st gear is definitely easier to get into. It'll go right in now without any hesitation at 10 mph and below. That's nice to have now :bigSmile:

The rest of the gears feel the same. It's always been super smooth so the Redline didn't really change much.

I haven't done the diff fluid yet but I'm expecting the same level of nastiness. Do you know what weight fluid the differential takes? I'll have to get the LSD additive also

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well haven't had a chance to drive it yet and won't for a few days because of weather, but I changed the transmission oil today, overall it was pretty easy. Only thing is I had to run Redline Heavy Shockproof because that is all I could find, and I didn't want Royal Purple. Anyways, its rated as 75w 90, but is pretty thick and is not recommended for transmissions with pumps, filters and small hoses. Dumb question, but our transmission is just a wet sump style right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
gtmotor,

The transmission fluid was changed in your car. I would guess around 90k miles. It was done at the dealer. I did think it went into 1st a bit hard while rolling, but it would pretty much go away when the car warmed, so I just attributed it to the cold temp here in MN. I'm glad the fluid change took care of it. Perhaps people should change it more often than they think, as your car probably had 20-25k miles on that oil. The rear dif was changed also, I am going to guess at the 95k oil change. I think there should be some service reciepts in with the manual and that it was on one (should state the mileage) Hope everything else is going great with the car.

ps. I still have your touch up paint, I have been holding out on sending it until it get's above freezing here so it doesn't get wrecked by the cold...

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I wish I could hit first at a 10mph roll...I can't even get in if I'm lightly moving, like barely rolling a stop sign moving :(

Maybe I'll tray MT90 this time instead of Royal Purple.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wish I could hit first at a 10mph roll...I can't even get in if I'm lightly moving, like barely rolling a stop sign moving :(

Is this a common problem with anyone else out there? I hadn't heard much of manual trans issues from people who drive them in a "normal" (read: not dropping the clutch and speed shifting every gear) fashion.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is this a common problem with anyone else out there? I hadn't heard much of manual trans issues from people who drive them in a "normal" (read: not dropping the clutch and speed shifting every gear) fashion.
I almost never get it in 1st unless I'm completely stopped. It's a bummer. Also, I baby the shiz out of my clutch/tranny.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gtmotor,

The transmission fluid was changed in your car. I would guess around 90k miles. It was done at the dealer. I did think it went into 1st a bit hard while rolling, but it would pretty much go away when the car warmed, so I just attributed it to the cold temp here in MN. I'm glad the fluid change took care of it. Perhaps people should change it more often than they think, as your car probably had 20-25k miles on that oil. The rear dif was changed also, I am going to guess at the 95k oil change. I think there should be some service reciepts in with the manual and that it was on one (should state the mileage) Hope everything else is going great with the car.

ps. I still have your touch up paint, I have been holding out on sending it until it get's above freezing here so it doesn't get wrecked by the cold...
SERIOUSLY?! I wonder if they forgot to do it... there is no way trans fluid with 25k miles could look like that. It's running great. There is a little noise from what sounds to be like the pilot bearing at idle with the clutch out in neutral. But other then that... I love it :)

It shifts noticeably smoother now. It's hard to get it into first when the oil is still cold but once it's fully up to temp it goes in easily when the car is rolling. It wouldn't do that before the MT90.

I'm going to change it again in probably 10k miles in case any residual gunk is left in there.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Too many people say they religiously maintain their cars when all they do is change the oil every 3k. To them this is good maintenance. If your tranny oil looked like that, I'd put changing or flushing ALL of your fluids on your to-do list. That might also mean you're on the original clutch (never heard of one going that long though) or on a clutch that has seen its share of miles, since the tranny fluid is drained when it is pulled for the clutch. Since you just got the car, I'll educate you now on the clutch on this thing. Weaker than others, thanks in part to the CDD-induced slipping (though slight), and our flywheel isn't the most durable either. A clutch job requiring both clutch disk and flywheel will set you back about $1500 just in parts.

Errr I mean enjoy your new IS!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the receipt. Lexus claims to have changed it on June 26, 2007 @ 96,499 miles.

That means that oil had about 8 months and 10k miles on it :suspiciou

It still has the OE clutch in it as far as I know. mrlexus took excellent care of it I'm just questioning whether the dealer actually did the transmission fluid change or not. There is no way in hell that oil had 10k miles on it.

OEM parts are $1500 for the clutch job? That sucks. I get L-20 on parts from Lexus but that's still $1200. I wonder if the clutch is the same on the NA Supra... I get C+27 at Toyota so it would be considerably cheaper.

Does anyone know if the IS uses a Lexus specific clutch? I guess I can call the Lexus dealership, get a part #, and then cross check it with Toyota :p

Another option is use an ACT street clutch with the Fidanza flywheel for about $650.00 (just price checked it). I had that setup in my MR2 turbo in years past and it was great! The factory clutch shows no signs of giving up the ghost yet so we'll see how long it lasts.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts

Double clutch, gimme results.

BTW, it's not recommended anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
GT, good info I will most likely do it as a precaution this weekend when I change the oil, might as well. Will post news when done, I'm at ~42K I think.

+rep for some good info

·
Registered
648 Posts
The N/A Supra uses a different flywheel. It is about 10 lbs lighter and a little thinner. You can make it fit, but you will need to modify the Supra flywheel a bit (boring out a hole) and need a longer pushrod for the clutch slave cylinder (IIRC). I am leaning towards Findanza/Clutchmasters myself, I just don't know how much different the car will feel with a 20lb lighter flywheel...

Agreed from what you said that fluid doesn't sound like it has been in there for 10 months. At times I will ask for old parts or to see my old fluid to make sure the shop doesn't cut corners.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my 04 IS with 42k on it, and i noticed even during the dealer test drive that 2nd was very notchy when cold, but they assured me that since it was a certified vehicle if anything ever went wrong they would repair it under warranty. So i tried changing it out to MT90, and it helped a bit, it is so much smoother when the car is warm, but the cold symtoms are still pretty much there. I should also note that the fluid has never been changed before (at least thats what the records indicate), and it was very clean draining out. I've talked to other local owners, and they have the exact same problems with 2nd gear, only when cold. It doesn't grind or make noise, but it takes extra effort to upshift into 2nd, but ironically it can downshift fairly easily. And as far as 1st gear, i can only get into it when i'm near a dead stop.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
If you have a lot of metal filings in your transmission... you should probably get it inspected more. That's a sign that something is not right.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm using Redline MT-90 as well. Redline is the only company that makes a synthetic manual transmission fluid with special additives to make sure the synchros have the proper amount of friction to function correctly. This makes for nice shifting and the ability select 1st at a slight roll (California stop don't ya know!). Using a generic synthetic gear oil can make shifting harder sometimes because it's so slippery the synchros can't match the shaft speeds quickly enough and you get a "granuch" between gears.

The biggest difference I noticed with the synthetic MT-90 was the much easier shifting when cold. The synthetic flows better at low temps.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts