Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the transmission fluids on my 02 IS300 this weekend for the first time since I’ve owned the car. For some background information I bought the car from the dealer when it had 40,000 on it, it now has 81,000. At the time I bought the car the dealership had changed the fluids for all the typical 60k replacement maintenance. Regardless you sometimes can’t trust that things are done correctly unless you do it yourself so I’m starting the 60k changes now.

Having all that said, the manual for the car says to refill the transmission with 2.77 quarts of fluid. In searching around before doing the maintenance I found this site

Lexus IS 300 - DIY 5 Speed Manual Transmission Fluid Change

In his write up he seems to indicate it should take all 3 quarts of fluid and you should keep pumping until it can’t take any more. When I did the change I went with what the manual said and had about 8oz left over from my three 32oz bottles. This being the first time that I changed the fluids in the transmission I’m slightly worried that I should have put the full 3 quarts in, anyone have some insight on the correct refill capacity?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sounds like you did it correctly, I had the same experience. The car should be level when filling this. I can't imagine how one could get all three quarts in there unless the car was lifted on one side only, where the fill hole is. That could result in over-filling and possible seal issues down the road.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
and thats the proper way to fill a manual trans, stop wen it just starts to come out
Correct.

For the record, according to alldata, the fill capacity is:

2.6 L (2.7 US qts, 2.3 Imp. qts.)

Digger08

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
you're right when you say the only way to know things get done is by doing them yourself. And i agree with everyone when you didnt put the whole 3qts in. I like to pump the 0.2-0.3 qts to flush any old fluid out before pumping the rquired 2.7-2.8 qts. Remember our transmissions work better w/ gl-4 gear oil.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hate to go slightly off-topic here, but when you fill up the trans fluid, can you fill it through the dipstick hole like the tutorials for the auto trans instead of getting a pump and whatnot?

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I got my pump from Harbor freight. I've also seen them at Pep Boys. You should be able to find them at your local auto parts store. If you don't want to use the pump, you can pour it in from the top if you pull your manual gear shifter.

Reactions: Ramrod and jasonm4

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just replaced my rear diff with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w90 and wanted to do my tranny too (5 spd) but not sure what fluids should I use. I've searched and I found many using Redline MT90 and Amsoil Syncromesh MTF but in mass we don't carry either. Then I found a couple threads saying MTF uses 75w90 fluid, same weight as the rear diff?

If that's the case would you guys recommend using Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w90 for the tranny also?

Does all Toyota/Lexus use the same MTF fluid? If so the dealer may be the only place for me to get some tranny fluid I guess

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bringing it back from the dead again. I am planning to change the transmission fluid on my 5 spd. Do you know if I need to change the tranny filter and pan gasket? Or, that only applies to automatic? How much should I pay the mechanic for the job? Is it safe to use Mobile 1 75W-90 GL5?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Bringing it back from the dead again. I am planning to change the transmission fluid on my 5 spd. Do you know if I need to change the tranny filter and pan gasket? Or, that only applies to automatic? How much should I pay the mechanic for the job? Is it safe to use Mobile 1 75W-90 GL5?
the service manual calls for gl-4 in the transmission due to the soft metals. however I've read and people have said that newer gl-5s are safe for older transmission. personally, i will always use a gl-4 over a gl-5 in a Toyota manual transmission if it calls for it. the manual has no filter, or gasket. but it's been said before and it's a good tip to crack the upper filler bolt first. so you aren't stuck without any fluid if the filler bolt is seized. same goes with the diff fluid change. I've used mt90 for trips to the snow to track days. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
the service manual calls for gl-4 in the transmission due to the soft metals. however I've read and people have said that newer gl-5s are safe for older transmission. personally, i will always use a gl-4 over a gl-5 in a Toyota manual transmission if it calls for it. the manual has no filter, or gasket. but it's been said before and it's a good tip to crack the upper filler bolt first. so you aren't stuck without any fluid if the filler bolt is seized. same goes with the diff fluid change. I've used mt90 for trips to the snow to track days. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you.. My mechanic mentioned it and I didn't see or read anything about the filter and pan gasket. I guess he thought my transmission was an automatic. So for manual transmission fluid change, all I would need to do is drain and fill with GL4 fluid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.