Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know somebody whose parents sell japanese engines. i asked her to ask her parents about the supra transmission.

1. 5 speed manual
2. transmission $395-$450
3. labor is about $200-300

this is the info that was told to me. i suppose labor would only be in the bay area. but the transmission should be able to get mailed anywhere. i'm thinking about getting it. any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Automatic-to-manual transmission swaps are usually more trouble than they're worth, but if you really want to do it, then go for it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
For one, your engine and transmission management are integrated. What will happen when the tranny ceases to communicate with the ECM? Nobody quite knows for sure, but I doubt the engine will function normally.

The driveline shock from the manual tranny requires an extra support on the differential. What will happen if you don't install it? Nobody knows for sure, but I doubt that Toyota wastes money by installing superfluous parts.

Both the clutch and shift lever will require the addition or/removal of brackets/supports, holes, etc. Removing brackets and making holes are easy, but adding brackets/supports requires that you have parts to add. Being that these are a part of the body, you can't just buy these pieces to spot-weld them on. Somebody would need to fabricate these mounts. Would the fabricated and added mounts be as good as the designed-in factory ones? Nobody knows.

And just getting your hands on a manual tranny instrument pod will cost close to a thousand dollars. But you can always leave the automatic pod on, if you don't care.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
agreed, and i guarantee you spend atleast $1500 if not $2000 by time its done, you are way way way underestimating it in hopes of saving money, you should always over estimate it, and then see if it is affordable and feasable. you'll need a clutch disc, clutch pressure plate, driveshaft, trans, mounts, bolts, clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, new or reman-ed flywheel, possibly a different starter or wiring, some shift boot modification and the shifter, again, you are way understimating this, and have no idea as to what you are getting into, sorry to burst your bubble.

Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
i think clint would be a real good person to ask about this...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unfortunately, I have to agree with everyone else. Although it sounds like (and is) an interesting project, there are costs you haven't looked at yet. First off is the clutch and flywheel, plan on spending AT LEAST $350 for a good clutch. Flywheel might be an extra $100-$200 depending on how you go about it.

Now let's consider install prices. If someone is going to do it for you for $200-$300 go for it, because they are smoking something. I did this same swap on a 94 probe and it was a pain in the ass. Took us a full week (all day sat and sun, 5 hours a day mon-thu). Now consider that labor at most shops is between $50-$90/hour that is a lot of money. Obviously shops will have more experience than my friend and I, but it will still take a long time.

All in all it sounds like a great idea, but probably not worth it. Not to mention the possible problems that may occur.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Not to mention that no-one here has an IS300 out of warranty yet, so you're killing your entire drivetrain warranty in the process.

Plus the cost of the swap will most likely be more than you'd lose by trading in your auto for a manual in a few months...

·
Registered
246 Posts
yea jsut reading about it sounds like a lot of work and money.. haha my warranty is almost over.. man thats gona suck do u think i'll get the same quality service w/o it?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Not to mention, the floors of the automatic/manual are different. You will actually have to cut the section out of the floor of a manual and then cut yours and weld in the new piece. Oddly enough, I have one if you are serious about this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
doodlebug
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing