Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never driven manual before, and was wondering if it takes a lot of skill. I want to get a Navi system in a 2002, but don't know if that will work well with driving a stick, because you already have too much to do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Originally posted by AzNIS300:
I have never driven manual before, and was wondering if it takes a lot of skill. I want to get a Navi system in a 2002, but don't know if that will work well with driving a stick, because you already have too much to do?

Thanks!

Don't worry...once you get used to a stick it's not going to be a problem. NAV systems usually work good by themselves, plus, if you're just cruisin on the free way or something, it's really like driving an auto

just like riding a bike...all you need is just practice...it's not rocket science.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Driving a manual transmission gives the driver total control over power too.....
Once you learn how to master your clutch!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Originally posted by AzNIS300:

Thanks!
Then get used to the burning smell... of your clutch in the first few tries.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Driving a manual takes quite a bit of practice to master, especially if you want to drive smoothly and minimize wear and tear. But once you master the art of driving a manual tranny, it's a piece of cake.

·
Registered
571 Posts
here a tip: Do not practice driving a stick with your new IS, or a new car for that matter of fact. OH GOD!!

Go borrow a friend's or family member's old or used car that they really do not care about...just so you can learn the basics of manuals, then once you have total control of both your feet (maniupulating gas and clutch at same time), then drive your IS and enjoy!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Originally posted by vvtipwr:
here a tip: Do not practice driving a stick with your new IS, or a new car for that matter of fact. OH GOD!!

I agree with vvtipwr. Definitely practice on an older car and out of traffic.

On a side note... A while back, I was teaching my wife how to drive a 5-speed with my '87 Mustang GT (great car to rag on).
We found the largest parking lot in our area, which was the Zigaurat (IRS/Federal Government) building. After about 5 minutes of starting, stopping, stalling, and cruiing at 25 in 1st gear, we got pulled over by a cop. He asked what we were doing, and I explained that I was teaching my wife how to drive a manual. He told us to leave the premises because we were "acting suspicious."
Well, if you can't practice on the streets (at least in SoCal) because of traffic, and you can't practice in a large parking lot, where do you go?
I still haven't solved that question and my wife still can't drive a manual trans. My advise is to choose an area wisely and practice safely. It will definitely be worthwhile to learn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by JT:

I agree with vvtipwr. Definitely practice on an older car and out of traffic.

On a side note... A while back, I was teaching my wife how to drive a 5-speed with my '87 Mustang GT (great car to rag on).
We found the largest parking lot in our area, which was the Zigaurat (IRS/Federal Government) building. After about 5 minutes of starting, stopping, stalling, and cruiing at 25 in 1st gear, we got pulled over by a cop. He asked what we were doing, and I explained that I was teaching my wife how to drive a manual. He told us to leave the premises because we were "acting suspicious."
Well, if you can't practice on the streets (at least in SoCal) because of traffic, and you can't practice in a large parking lot, where do you go?
I still haven't solved that question and my wife still can't drive a manual trans. My advise is to choose an area wisely and practice safely. It will definitely be worthwhile to learn.
Go to a nearby college. They should always have a big parking lot...

·
Registered
571 Posts
yep, I don't think authorities like people hanging around gov't office during off-hours.

college, stadium or colisseum parking lot, high school....try those places.

·
Registered
867 Posts
yep, I don't think authorities like people hanging around gov't office during off-hours.

college, stadium or colisseum parking lot, high school....try those places.
Thanks for the suggestions vvtipwr and NaFooEis. I may have to drive a bit out of town because around here, the colleges have several small parking lots rather than a large one. Plus, high schools and the colleges in the area have security patrol, especially since their was a bomb threat and 2 "student bringing gun to school" threats last week! I definitely don't want to cause any problems and respect the local authorities. Thanks again for the suggestions... the search for a large parking lot continues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I learned in a parking lot, and it wasn't too big. If you can get a beat up car from a friend or family member, that's great! If not, think about renting one for a day... just make sure to have someone else drive it off the rental lot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts